Alabamak1

Change in status (merged)

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One Post edited for bypassing language filter and one quoted. Do not do that again.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, poolemit said:

Florida racer, as they say, ignorance is bliss :)

Ontarkie, sorry about that.

Whatever..... if you say!

good luck in what you are trying to accomplish

Timeline

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/5/dhs-expands-power-initiate-deportations/

just read this on google news, as I said before just enforcing the current laws, false documents, lying, fraud, misreapensations, criminal charges.

It helps to read articles from all mainstream media and then to think for one self about what is the truth and what is not, that is the only way to make an informed decision

35 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

But so if one really gets a Notice to Appear, does this in itself already mean the end? I mean one still gets a hearing before a judge?

It's definitely not the end. Removal proceedings can often be delayed considerably, and one gets to argue their case in front of an IJ (barring a very limited set of circumstances).

It's not a fun experience, I'm sure, but is far from the end of the line.

For example, a denied I-485 due to the public charge concern would be fairly pointless to refer to an IJ unless they are absolutely certain the petitioner could not meet the financial requirements nor find a joint sponsor. Same if it was denied due to not responding to an RFE or something (barring ignoring the denial and not refiling).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm just trying to state facts, not opinions.  Regarding the "public charge" scenario...

The Department of Homeland Security has drafted rules that would expand the types of public benefits used to determine if a green card applicant may become a public charge.  As I understand it, current rules only factor in cash benefits.  This would be expanded to non-cash benefits such as food assistance programs, preschool programs, health insurance subsidies, etc.  In addition, it would be taken into account if an applicant's US citizen child were receiving such benefits (such as Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)).

It's just a draft and the officer would consider the totality of the situation before making a judgment.  But as I read it, the draft does imply that someone with an expensive medical condition who marries and obtains health insurance at subsidized rate through Obamacare could be denied adjustment of status based on public charge determination.  As hypothetically could an AOS applicant with a US citizen child who receives CHIP assistance.  In fact, the AOS applicant could be denied if the officer thinks he or she is likely to become a public charge at any time in the future.

From the draft (link below):

"If the Secretary of Homeland Security determines that an alien applying for admission or adjustment of status is likely to become a public charge at any time, the alien is inadmissable under section 212(a)(4) of the Act.....

(a) Prospective determination. The Secretary must determine the likelihood that an alien will become a public charge at any time in the future.

(b) Totality of circumstances. The Secretary must base the determination on the totality of the alien's circumstances by weighing all positive and negative factors

(e) Heavily weighted negative factors. The following factors weigh heavily in favor of a finding that an alien is likely to become a public charge:

(4) The alien has a costly medical condition and is unable to show proof of unsubsidized health insurance, prospect of obtaining unsubsidized health insurance, or other non-governmental means of paying for treatment."

Here's the draft: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10188201/DRAFT_NPRM_public_charge.0.pdf

And more reading:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-services-exclusive/exclusive-trump-administration-may-target-immigrants-who-use-food-aid-other-benefits-idUSKBN1FS2ZK

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/us/politics/trump-immigrants-public-nutrition-services.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-proposal-would-penalize-immigrants-who-use-tax-credits-and-other-benefits/2018/03/28/4c6392e0-2924-11e8-bc72-077aa4dab9ef_story.html?utm_term=.ca11dff5fb38

https://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/fact-sheet/proposed-changes-to-public-charge-policies-for-immigrants-implications-for-health-coverage/

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/research/chilling-effects-expected-public-charge-rule-impact-legal-immigrant-families

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 hours ago, florida racer 73 said:

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/5/dhs-expands-power-initiate-deportations/

just read this on google news, as I said before just enforcing the current laws, false documents, lying, fraud, misreapensations, criminal charges.

It helps to read articles from all mainstream media and then to think for one self about what is the truth and what is not, that is the only way to make an informed decision

Thanks for posting this more objective article. The "age of information" has now become "the age of misinformation"....all spurred by Trump hate, imo.

This quote from the article you linked is a more objective view of the change, imo:

"The memos, dated June 28, tell agency employees to be on the lookout for people who apply for naturalization or other legal immigration benefit but who have criminal records, used bogus documents, lied about their applications or had abused public benefit programs.

In the past those might have been enough to reject the application, but USCIS would either drop the issue at that point or refer the case to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for possible deportation. Under the new guidelines USCIS employees are now urged to begin the deportation process themselves."

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, missileman said:

Thanks for posting this more objective article. The "age of information" has now become "the age of misinformation"....all spurred by Trump hate, imo.

This quote from the article you linked is a more objective view of the change, imo:

"The memos, dated June 28, tell agency employees to be on the lookout for people who apply for naturalization or other legal immigration benefit but who have criminal records, used bogus documents, lied about their applications or had abused public benefit programs.

In the past those might have been enough to reject the application, but USCIS would either drop the issue at that point or refer the case to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for possible deportation. Under the new guidelines USCIS employees are now urged to begin the deportation process themselves."

Yes sir, As I said, we NEED to look at multiple sources for our news and make our own informed decisions!

unfortunally, there is way to much propaganda out there and the facts are being clouded.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
3 hours ago, missileman said:

Links to memos referred in article:

https://www.aila.org/infonet/uscis-issues-policy-memo-on-ntas-for-cases

https://www.aila.org/infonet/uscis-issues-policy-memo-with-updated-guidance-nta

And for what it's worth, some comments from AILA's Director of Government Relations:

https://www.aila.org/publications/videos/quicktakes/quicktake-245-uscis-guidance-on-issuance-of-ntas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
12 hours ago, pauli said:

After reading Alia.org's site, it is clearly Anti-Trump, not an un-biased Immigration Lawyers Association.

In  reference to any Family-based immigration, the American spouse is 100% responsible for the care of your Fiancée, Spouse, their children for 10 years. Meaning when the American Fiancée or Spouse completes the I-134, they are agreeing to the conditions within the immigration laws. If at any time during that 10 years your foreign spouse becomes a ward of the state, you as the sponsor will have to pay the government back, and your spouse is subject to deportation. That law is not new. Even the non-family based immigrants that have a sponsor, and those sponsors are also responsible for the immigrant they sponsored. There is No right to receive government assistance, i.e. EBT Card, subsidized housing or Welfare Income (SSI), whether you are natural born U.S. citizen or an immigrant.

For example, any time before Trump....If you applied for a K1 visa, and you failed to get married within the 90 days from the POE, your fiancée will be deported. If you got married and sent your AOS after 91 days from the POE, your spouse will be deported. You could appeal then and you can appeal now, but then and now there are very few exceptions to grant your appeal. It is incumbent, that the couple complies with the rules and the laws. And if you don't, it is your fault, not the Government's, USCIS's , ICE, or Trumps fault.....It is yours and yours alone.

In simple terms, I will compare this to obtaining a drivers license....When you get a drivers license, It is a Privilege, not a Right. You sign a form that states that license can be taken from you if you don't follow the laws. I.E. You get stopped for drunk driving.....When you signed for your license you agreed to submit to a blood alcohol test, if you refuse, you license is automatically Suspended. Period. You can appeal it in court, but it doesn't mean you have a Constitutional Right to drive.

Anyone that thinks Trump is Anti-Immigration has watched too much CNN......His current wife and his former wife are both immigrants. No laws that existed or new ones effect Family based immigration, except ones that were based on fraud. I personally agree with the laws that would stop an immigrant from coming here and living in free housing, free food, and free money, mainly since that money isn't free......it comes from my taxes and yours. This is the Land of the Free, Not the Land of Free money!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.