lza

religious wedding cermony just before entering the US with k1 visa

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, monmonaz said:

thank you for your advices ..you are right  and I will not do any thing that put me at risk

This is really the best idea and please READ about adjustment of status and removal of conditions BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING FURTHER. A lot of people seem to think getting the right visa is all that there is to it but the visa is usually only the FIRST step. It is always at least just ONE step in a process of MANY steps. I understand it must be even more daunting for those who don't speak English as a first language, have never been to the US or have very limited experience with the US but it is VERY important to understand how the whole process works. You are trying to secure your future in the US and the people you send your papers work for the federal government. They are not state or local; they're federal. That means if you make a mistake or they deem you unfit to enter the country, you can't do much to change that decision. They're not the nicest part of the government either and right now, immigration is a very very very sensitive topic in the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, geowrian said:

what is the AOS ??? plz

You will be better off if you do your own research tahn someone giving you answer. You might be suprised how your research will take you into looking at many things and make you more informed on the whole process. You can than ask more in depth questions.

“You give a  man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime.” (Chinese proverb.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 hours ago, monmonaz said:

what is the AOS INTERVIEW STAGE

If you are about to head over here on your K1 I suggest forget about the wedding (bad idea) and please read up on the next step in the process as you seem clueless and it will only lead to future issues. 

Read about on rules for the K1 (being single for example) read up on Adjustment of Status and also almost 2 years after that you have Removal of Conditions. If you read and stay informed you won't have any issues. 

3 minutes ago, Paul & Marina said:

You will be better off if you do your own research tahn someone giving you answer. You might be suprised how your research will take you into looking at many things and make you more informed on the whole process. You can than ask more in depth questions.

“You give a  man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime.” (Chinese proverb.)

Wrong quoting (that wasn't me)... :P

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

5 hours ago, monmonaz said:

can I make religious wedding cermony in my home country after obtaining K 1 visa just befor entering US ...is this will make a problem

NO!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You might want to do some research on your country's marriage laws. If religious ceremony=legal marriage, most definitely don't do it. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, usmsbow said:

You might want to do some research on your country's marriage laws. If religious ceremony=legal marriage, most definitely don't do it. 

Whether it's legal or not dose not matter.

The smart move is to simply not do the religious ceremony.  It will never be a positive in the eyes of US Embassy/CBP/US Government.  It's only be be a negative, so why bother doing it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

Whether it's legal or not dose not matter.

The smart move is to simply not do the religious ceremony.  It will never be a positive in the eyes of US Embassy/CBP/US Government.  It's only be be a negative, so why bother doing it?

Yes it does matter. Legal marriage=definite no. Not legal marriage=depends on how risk adverse you are. As you said, smart move to not do it. It isn't the necessary one. Why bother doing it? Plenty of reasons for some... 

edit: corrected legal/not legal

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, usmsbow said:

Yes it does matter. Legal marriage=definite no. Not legal marriage=depends on how risk adverse you are. As you said, smart move to not do it. It isn't the necessary one. Why bother doing it? Plenty of reasons for some... 

edit: corrected legal/not legal

Search VJ.  Did it matter to many people who were refused visas or entry for having non-legal weddings?  If they were not legal weddings, then the US should have no problems with them.  How does one prove a negative - not being legally married?

I agree with everybody on this forum. Don't do it! It could affect you down the road when you least expect it. It is not worth the risk.

However, when you guys are telling the OP that they can found out during a "background check", which background check are you guys referring to? Is it at the Green Card interview? What do they ask or do during the background check that could potentially reveal the OP had a religious wedding ceremony (if OP actually decided to have one)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 hours ago, barashka said:

I agree with everybody on this forum. Don't do it! It could affect you down the road when you least expect it. It is not worth the risk.

However, when you guys are telling the OP that they can found out during a "background check", which background check are you guys referring to? Is it at the Green Card interview? What do they ask or do during the background check that could potentially reveal the OP had a religious wedding ceremony (if OP actually decided to have one)?

Yes, during the AOS process, they generally will conduct another background check which may include social media checks and during the interview for a marriage based GC often the IO will ask questions about the wedding etc.  Like some have said, it may not be an issue, but why risk having the IO asking questions about pictures from this party, or the religious nature of the ceremony with respect to the K1 visa.  More often than not, this trips up couples at the K1 interview stage where couples hold mock weddings or religious ceremonies and the consulate officers deem them too married for a K1 visa even if they aren't officially married.  It is a risk that in my opinion isn't worth it and it appears the OP is taking that advice.  In my opinion the post by @keixjil is most appropriate where the AOS IO did ask about it and seemed to ponder the item, the IO could have easily determined that the K1 visa recipient entered the country fraudulently i.e. already married. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

On 6/21/2018 at 4:45 PM, Ben&Zian said:

As noted, assuming they won't find out or know is totally wrong way to think about this. Even say they didn't find out for 3-4 years until you applied for ROC or even citizenship, if they find out then they can strip you of everything because of that lie and fraudulent claim. Why risk it? Just get the K-1 visa, come to the US, marry, apply for AOS. Get AP or green card then go back home and do a ceremony there for your family; but don't even risk your journey by doing it before hand.

I will do so .. we will organize religious wedding cermony  aday after the civil wedding in boston 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.