Enigmatic

Visitor B2 Visa for parents after getting my Green Card

21 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have received my Green Card recently, and want to apply for B2 visa for my parents. They were rejected first time, while they applied during my green card adjustment of status period. They also self sponsored that time, and now I want to sponsor for their visa.

My question is, have anybody gone through similar scenario? What is the likelihood of their getting visa?

Any kind of suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, Enigmatic said:

Hello All,

I have received my Green Card recently, and want to apply for B2 visa for my parents. They were rejected first time, while they applied during my green card adjustment of status period. They also self sponsored that time, and now I want to sponsor for their visa.

My question is, have anybody gone through similar scenario? What is the likelihood of their getting visa?

I would like to encourage you to read my post that can help you with your question. The link is in my signature and it explains what I did for my mom and brother to get their turist visa.

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Filed: Timeline
3 minutes ago, Enigmatic said:

Hello All,

There is no sponsorship for a tourist visa. They need to apply on their own merits.

Since the denial what has changed in their circumstances?

You sponsoring them is even worse idea, in my opinion.

Also "you" don't apply for your parents B2 visa. Your parents apply on their own.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No sponsorship

They apply

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am trying to answer you all in the same reply here:

@T_P I have read your repply, and thanks for the clarification. My parents can pay for their trip, and that is what they put in their first try. I was wondering, whether this time I should put myself. But from the look of it, it seems self paying for trip is better.

@az2014 The major change since their denial is my green card approval. During their 1st attempt, I was in AOS and the VO looked at my documents such as passport, I-130, I-485 etc and said that they can not approve their visa. From this, we have a speculation that the VO didn't like the idea that my status is not confirmed here, why giving visa to my parents. Also, my son has born after their interview date, so we plan to tell this as one of the reason their visit to see the grandson.

@Roel I know that, but I used my email address to apply on their behalf. Do you suggest to use their own email address while applying to show that they have applied themselves?

@Jojo92122 I was wondering about the 'Person/Entity Paying for Your Trip' section of the DS-160 form.
@Boiler Thanks for the reply. 

2 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

Can I just ask how you acquired your GC?  Was it a K1?

Through my US citizen spouse with form I130. Married outside of US, and came 6 years ago as F1 to do PhD. 

Filed: Timeline
20 minutes ago, Enigmatic said:

@T_P I have read your repply, and thanks for the clarification. My parents can pay for their trip, and that is what they put in their first try. I was wondering, whether this time I should put myself. But from the look of it, it seems self paying for trip is better.

@az2014 The major change since their denial is my green card approval. During their 1st attempt, I was in AOS and the VO looked at my documents such as passport, I-130, I-485 etc and said that they can not approve their visa. From this, we have a speculation that the VO didn't like the idea that my status is not confirmed here, why giving visa to my parents. Also, my son has born after their interview date, so we plan to tell this as one of the reason their visit to see the grandson.

@Roel I know that, but I used my email address to apply on their behalf. Do you suggest to use their own email address while applying to show that they have applied themselves?

@Jojo92122 I was wondering about the 'Person/Entity Paying for Your Trip' section of the DS-160 form.

The changes in circumstances are yours; not your parents'.  Nothing has changed for them to increase their ties to home.  You getting a green card and having a son has nothing to do with them overcoming the presumption of illegal immigration.  You and your son are reasons to stay in the US; not reasons for them to go home.

You can list yourself as paying, but that is not the same as sponsoring.  Paying does not mean sponsoring.  You paying does not increase their chances of getting visas.  Since they can pay for themselves, this is not necessary or helpful.

Edited by Jojo92122

38 minutes ago, Enigmatic said:

Those major changes you listed are based on your circumstances. Not your parents. This is the mistake you are making. You keep attaching yourself to your parents application. Your parents apply based on their own circumstances. You shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Yes, you can pay for their trip, but that is not sponsoring. And it also does not prove that they will return home. When looking at evidence and interviewing applicants, the CO is basically looking at why the applicant must return to their home country. Not why they want to come to the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am sure the OP realises that with any subject providing very limited information results in many possible conclusions.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Enigmatic said:

The major change since their denial is my green card approval. During their 1st attempt, I was in AOS and the VO looked at my documents such as passport, I-130, I-485 etc and said that they can not approve their visa. From this, we have a speculation that the VO didn't like the idea that my status is not confirmed here, why giving visa to my parents. Also, my son has born after their interview date, so we plan to tell this as one of the reason their visit to see the grandson.

Your speculation is not accurate. Your status wasn't the issue. It's arguably even harder now that you have a green card since you are basically on an eligible path with a predictable timeline for being able to petition them to immigrate.

I'm not suggesting that is the plan (and if you do plan to petition them later once eligible, that's perfectly allowed), but it does increase the perceived risk that they may stay in the US and wait out the time, IMO.

The recent child (congrats!) provides a reason to visit, but they don't really care much about why they want to visit...they care why they will want to leave and that they won't violate status in the US. Babysitting is unauthorized work, so there's the perceived risk that they would do that as well.

I don't think the above are particularly high risks in most cases, but they are 2 new circumstances working against them when they were already denied.

As others stated, their circumstances haven't substantially changed. As such, I would expect a new visa application would have the same result.

But they are free to apply. If they do, I wish them good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Thanks @Jojo92122, @EmilyW, @NuestraUnion, @Boiler, @geowrian. All these comments are really helpful for me. I feel, I should elaborate the interview experience of my parents little more here:

My Father is a retired professor, and my mother is a housewife. My only sister is married but still lives with my parents. My parents have own house, properties and substantial bank balances, and they brought all the documents related to these with notarized letters. The problem is, the CO did not ask for any questions or documents related to these. After asking why they want to come to US, he went straight to my documents and mostly ask about how I came to US, my current status, my wife's status (who is a US citizen) etc.

From all of your experiences, do you have any suggestion while we try our luck for second interview? In other posts, I have seen parents come during pregnancy or after grandchild are born. Thus, I wanted to include the birth of my son as one of the reason to their visit to US. Since, they don't mention why they are rejecting, it is hard to find out the exact reason! Thanks to all again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.