ahmedahmadyar

Social Security and Employment

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I applied for a social security number two days ago using my i94 after entering on a K1 visa and have been told it'll arrive in the mail in about 1-2 weeks. 

I understand that this will be a temporary social security card and it will specify that I am unable to work, and that I will have to wait until after adjustment of status to get an EAD in order to start working.

However, if by some miracle of God the lady at the social security office made a mistake while inputting the data from my application form, and the card comes in and it does not specify on the back that I am unable to work, i.e. it is a regular social security card, what will happen then? Do I have to report it to them? Do I have to return it? Can I just start working and not wait for EAD?

Asking for a friend. Thanks guys.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

I applied for a social security number two days ago using my i94 after entering on a K1 visa and have been told it'll arrive in the mail in about 1-2 weeks. 

I understand that this will be a temporary social security card and it will specify that I am unable to work, and that I will have to wait until after adjustment of status to get an EAD in order to start working.

However, if by some miracle of God the lady at the social security office made a mistake while inputting the data from my application form, and the card comes in and it does not specify on the back that I am unable to work, i.e. it is a regular social security card, what will happen then? Do I have to report it to them? Do I have to return it? Can I just start working and not wait for EAD?

Asking for a friend. Thanks guys.

Highly doubt that mistake would happen; but no you still could not work. You should let them know so they can correct it.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

"Asking for a friend". Always makes me laugh to see that.

I'm sure it will most likely be correct. But if it's not, don't play the system, just let them know. Your potential employers will also likely be using e-verify or something similar to make sure you are authorized to work, they're not going to go just based on what your SS card says.

Playing the system has consequences. Stay on the straight and narrow, even if an "opportunity" seems to present itself. It can really bite you later.

Edited by shumway88

Timeline
Just now, Ben&Zian said:

Highly doubt that mistake would happen; but no you still could not work. You should let them know so they can correct it.

Was asked to confirm if name and address were spelled correctly before submission and realized the employment authorization section (on their form, not mine) said: LEGAL ALIEN ALLOWED TO WORK even though I had checked the box that said 'unable to work' on the application form I gave them. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake at the time, still not really sure.

Timeline
1 minute ago, shumway88 said:

"Asking for a friend". Always makes me laugh to see that.

I'm sure it will most likely be correct. But if it's not, don't play the system, just let them know. Your potential employers will also going to be using e-verify (or at least they should be) to make sure you are authorized to work, they're not going to go just based on what your SS card says.

Playing the system has consequences. Stay on the straight and narrow, even if an "opportunity" seems to present itself. It can really bite you later.

Thanks, you're absolutely right. Don't want to jeopardize anything for myself in the future. Let's just see what the card says when it comes in, if it was a mistake I have a feeling someone will notice it and correct it before sending out the card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

Was asked to confirm if name and address were spelled correctly before submission and realized the employment authorization section (on their form, not mine) said: LEGAL ALIEN ALLOWED TO WORK even though I had checked the box that said 'unable to work' on the application form I gave them. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake at the time, still not really sure.

Based of the uscis website you are a legal alien allowed to work. A K1 visa authorizes you to get a 90 days ead (although you’ll get it probably after the 90 days. But on the social security card there is no reason they should send you a temp one that unauthorized to work. 

Dont work until you get your ead or your green card but their is no reason to not select authorized to work on the form since a K1 is authorized to work (with your ead or ead stamp at entry)

Filed: Timeline

Ha. Ha.  Since you are asking for a friend, tell your friend that you should not work when you are not authorized to work.   Even if SSA makes a mistake, you are responsible for knowing the rules.  Violate US immigration laws at your own risk.  Please share with your friend. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Reminds me of the time I got my drivers license and they messed up my birth date. I was 18 at the time and they made me 22 or 23 I think it was. Great for buying alcohol, not great when applying for jobs and things weren't matching in the system. I laugh about it now thinking how great that " Mistake" was, but in the end it caused more problems than I ever wanted. Think this is the same here. Seems great at first, but it will always  get you in the end.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lets think about this for a minute.

Is your "friends" immigration status and good standing in this Country something 'they' would want to risk? After all the trials and tribulations to get here and do things the RIGHT way? Is it worth risking legal problems, immigration problems, family problems? Is it worth risking possible citizenship problems, if thats an avenue they want to pursue?

No?

I didin't think so.

Chances are, the card will be correct. If its NOT ... take it to Social Security, tell them, and let them fix it.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

No miracle is going to happen. A K1 is "legal alien allowed to work" and will receive a card stamped on the front VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION. You can keep that card and show the authorizarion that goes with it (EAD card or green card) or go back when you get the greencard to update you status with them and they will send you a card without the extra words. Most places do not have to see your card. They just have a place to fill in your number.Memorize it.  The DMV is the only place I have ever shown the card. Not required by banks, insurance, employer, credit card applications --in my experience.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Brittani said:

So the ss card you get upon entry of US on k1 is only temporary? We need to reapply for another one when we get a green card?

Not a temporary number but a card issued with restrictions

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

Not a temporary number but a card issued with restrictions

So basically once my fiance received his green card in hand we would just take it to the social security office along with current card and let them know?

Timeline
Just now, Brittani said:

So basically once my fiance received his green card in hand we would just take it to the social security office along with current card and let them know?

That is what most people do.  They will remove the language

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Brittani said:

So the ss card you get upon entry of US on k1 is only temporary? We need to reapply for another one when we get a green card?

You won't get it upon entry, you will have to apply for it at the social security office a couple of weeks after you enter. Technically yes, it is temporary. There are three types:

Type 1: Unrestricted, can work anywhere 

Type 2: Restricted, can work but only with permission from DHS (in the form of an EAD)

Type 3: Can't work, given to those who need a social security card for other purposes like opening a bank account, obtaining driving license etc.

My understanding was that those who entered on a K1 would be given the third type, but as @TNTidaho explained, we get the second type, which makes perfect sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.