Jump to content
ahmedahmadyar

Social Security and Employment

70 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I applied for a social security number two days ago using my i94 after entering on a K1 visa and have been told it'll arrive in the mail in about 1-2 weeks. 

 

I understand that this will be a temporary social security card and it will specify that I am unable to work, and that I will have to wait until after adjustment of status to get an EAD in order to start working.

 

However, if by some miracle of God the lady at the social security office made a mistake while inputting the data from my application form, and the card comes in and it does not specify on the back that I am unable to work, i.e. it is a regular social security card, what will happen then? Do I have to report it to them? Do I have to return it? Can I just start working and not wait for EAD?

 

Asking for a friend. Thanks guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

I applied for a social security number two days ago using my i94 after entering on a K1 visa and have been told it'll arrive in the mail in about 1-2 weeks. 

 

I understand that this will be a temporary social security card and it will specify that I am unable to work, and that I will have to wait until after adjustment of status to get an EAD in order to start working.

 

However, if by some miracle of God the lady at the social security office made a mistake while inputting the data from my application form, and the card comes in and it does not specify on the back that I am unable to work, i.e. it is a regular social security card, what will happen then? Do I have to report it to them? Do I have to return it? Can I just start working and not wait for EAD?

 

Asking for a friend. Thanks guys.

 

Highly doubt that mistake would happen; but no you still could not work. You should let them know so they can correct it.


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

03/06/2017 - NOA1's received via text

03/31/2017 - Biometrics appointment Completed

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gif   vd9wauve2wlsd9fuctxk.gif giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"Asking for a friend". Always makes me laugh to see that.

 

I'm sure it will most likely be correct. But if it's not, don't play the system, just let them know. Your potential employers will also likely be using e-verify or something similar to make sure you are authorized to work, they're not going to go just based on what your SS card says.

 

Playing the system has consequences. Stay on the straight and narrow, even if an "opportunity" seems to present itself. It can really bite you later.

Edited by shumway88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ben&Zian said:

 

Highly doubt that mistake would happen; but no you still could not work. You should let them know so they can correct it.

Was asked to confirm if name and address were spelled correctly before submission and realized the employment authorization section (on their form, not mine) said: LEGAL ALIEN ALLOWED TO WORK even though I had checked the box that said 'unable to work' on the application form I gave them. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake at the time, still not really sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shumway88 said:

"Asking for a friend". Always makes me laugh to see that.

 

I'm sure it will most likely be correct. But if it's not, don't play the system, just let them know. Your potential employers will also going to be using e-verify (or at least they should be) to make sure you are authorized to work, they're not going to go just based on what your SS card says.

 

Playing the system has consequences. Stay on the straight and narrow, even if an "opportunity" seems to present itself. It can really bite you later.

Thanks, you're absolutely right. Don't want to jeopardize anything for myself in the future. Let's just see what the card says when it comes in, if it was a mistake I have a feeling someone will notice it and correct it before sending out the card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

Was asked to confirm if name and address were spelled correctly before submission and realized the employment authorization section (on their form, not mine) said: LEGAL ALIEN ALLOWED TO WORK even though I had checked the box that said 'unable to work' on the application form I gave them. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake at the time, still not really sure.

Based of the uscis website you are a legal alien allowed to work. A K1 visa authorizes you to get a 90 days ead (although you’ll get it probably after the 90 days. But on the social security card there is no reason they should send you a temp one that unauthorized to work. 

 

Dont work until you get your ead or your green card but their is no reason to not select authorized to work on the form since a K1 is authorized to work (with your ead or ead stamp at entry)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha. Ha.  Since you are asking for a friend, tell your friend that you should not work when you are not authorized to work.   Even if SSA makes a mistake, you are responsible for knowing the rules.  Violate US immigration laws at your own risk.  Please share with your friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of the time I got my drivers license and they messed up my birth date. I was 18 at the time and they made me 22 or 23 I think it was. Great for buying alcohol, not great when applying for jobs and things weren't matching in the system. I laugh about it now thinking how great that " Mistake" was, but in the end it caused more problems than I ever wanted. Think this is the same here. Seems great at first, but it will always  get you in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets think about this for a minute.

 

Is your "friends" immigration status and good standing in this Country something 'they' would want to risk? After all the trials and tribulations to get here and do things the RIGHT way? Is it worth risking legal problems, immigration problems, family problems? Is it worth risking possible citizenship problems, if thats an avenue they want to pursue?

 

No?

 

I didin't think so.

 

Chances are, the card will be correct. If its NOT ... take it to Social Security, tell them, and let them fix it.


5/7/2018 K1       Application mailed

5/9/2018             Application rec'd and signed for (sent via fedex)

5/14/2018          NOA1 Email notification

5/18/2018          NOA1 Paper copy rec'd (i797C)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ahmedahmadyar said:

However, if by some miracle of God the lady at the social security office made a mistake while inputting the data from my application form, and the card comes in and it does not specify on the back that I am unable to work, i.e. it is a regular social security card, what will happen then? Do I have to report it to them? Do I have to return it? Can I just start working and not wait for EAD?

No miracle is going to happen. A K1 is "legal alien allowed to work" and will receive a card stamped on the front VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION. You can keep that card and show the authorizarion that goes with it (EAD card or green card) or go back when you get the greencard to update you status with them and they will send you a card without the extra words. Most places do not have to see your card. They just have a place to fill in your number.Memorize it.  The DMV is the only place I have ever shown the card. Not required by banks, insurance, employer, credit card applications --in my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brittani said:

So the ss card you get upon entry of US on k1 is only temporary? We need to reapply for another one when we get a green card?

Not a temporary number but a card issued with restrictions


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

Not a temporary number but a card issued with restrictions

So basically once my fiance received his green card in hand we would just take it to the social security office along with current card and let them know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brittani said:

So basically once my fiance received his green card in hand we would just take it to the social security office along with current card and let them know?

That is what most people do.  They will remove the language


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brittani said:

So the ss card you get upon entry of US on k1 is only temporary? We need to reapply for another one when we get a green card?

You won't get it upon entry, you will have to apply for it at the social security office a couple of weeks after you enter. Technically yes, it is temporary. There are three types:

 

Type 1: Unrestricted, can work anywhere 

Type 2: Restricted, can work but only with permission from DHS (in the form of an EAD)

Type 3: Can't work, given to those who need a social security card for other purposes like opening a bank account, obtaining driving license etc.

 

My understanding was that those who entered on a K1 would be given the third type, but as @TNTidaho explained, we get the second type, which makes perfect sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×