duckrabbit

Worried about passport...

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all!

New here. I live in California and my lovely fiancé is in Melbourne, Australia. We filed our I-129f in January and received our NOA1 on January 19th. I've managed to stay mostly calm for the past few months, but the little anxieties are kicking in as I get more and more impatient for our NOA2. I've read some posts on here and I saw that most people mention sending in a copy of the petitioner's ENTIRE passport as proof of US Citizenship - and now I'm trying not to freak out because all I sent in was the one bio/photo page of mine with our petition. Will we receive a RFE because of this? Is this something that could cause us to be denied? I can't seem to find a clear answer and I feel so stupid for not photocopying the whole thing.

Also, if we haven't received an RFE by now (it's been about 4 months...) does that mean we probably won't receive one?

Thanks for easing my fears! :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 minute ago, duckrabbit said:

Will we receive a RFE because of this? Is this something that could cause us to be denied?

Maybe not, and no.

2 minutes ago, duckrabbit said:

if we haven't received an RFE by now (it's been about 4 months...) does that mean we probably won't receive one?

In terms of that short of a time period, no.

Hardest thing during this part of the process is not to freak out.  Try not to. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

To help take your mind off things, here's an interesting (?!) look at the END of the immigration process:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382775-mrs-t-b-the-citizenship-test/

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

There's some disagreement among the members here on that point.  I'm firmly in the camp that says that the bio page is all you need.  The rest of the the info isn't germane to what they are doing with the info. 

I included the bio page and I added the stamps with documentation of our trips together in a separate section. So my personal experience isn't proof positive. A lot of people use their experience as a guide, but we never get feedback on what USCIS found superfluous. 

I've read VJ very regularly for over a year I've seen a lot of people's questions and experiences with RFE's.  Never seen one for not including all pages of a passport.  I personally don't know what they could glean from it.  They have acces to a lot of information without them.  Plus, passport pages have no header, so there's no way to know if the photocopied  pages are yours or your Aunt Agatha's. 

Not a point to worry about.  

Timeline
47 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

To help take your mind off things, here's an interesting (?!) look at the END of the immigration process:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382775-mrs-t-b-the-citizenship-test/

Too funny!

Timeline

:)  Keep that goalpost in mind throughout this whole process.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

There's some disagreement among the members here on that point.  I'm firmly in the camp that says that the bio page is all you need.  The rest of the the info isn't germane to what they are doing with the info. 

I included the bio page and I added the stamps with documentation of our trips together in a separate section. So my personal experience isn't proof positive. A lot of people use their experience as a guide, but we never get feedback on what USCIS found superfluous. 

I've read VJ very regularly for over a year I've seen a lot of people's questions and experiences with RFE's.  Never seen one for not including all pages of a passport.  I personally don't know what they could glean from it.  They have acces to a lot of information without them.  Plus, passport pages have no header, so there's no way to know if the photocopied  pages are yours or your Aunt Agatha's. 

Not a point to worry about.  

This is extremely rational and helpful. Thank you so much! I feel better already. I agree that it doesn't seem vital to show a bunch of blank pages just to prove my citizenship. Hopefully USCIS feels the same way. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
48 minutes ago, duckrabbit said:

This is extremely rational and helpful. Thank you so much! I feel better already. I agree that it doesn't seem vital to show a bunch of blank pages just to prove my citizenship. Hopefully USCIS feels the same way. 

I think it's a misinterpretation of the instruction and that's why some VJ'ers will state that.  It's highly illogical to quote Spock. 

Trust me, I know what it's like to turn everything over in your mind after submitting the application.  It's a long time to just sit and wait and try to anticipate the next step.  But, we get there. 

I know I'm on a different immigrant visa type to you (IR1), although the instructions for proof of US citizenship are the same. My wife (USC petitioner) just included the biometrics page of her passport with our application. We didn't get any RFE's.

It's easier said than done, but really don't worry, if you get an RFE just send the additional information required, it's not the end of the world and it won't slow the process down by much.

It's a long and frustrating process and the wait is not easy, but hang in there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I only sent the bio page, and a few of the stamp pages to show my travel, and there was no problem at all. Nowhere in the official USCIS form instructions is it stated that copies of the whole passport book are required. I’m not sure where this started. Perhaps some people get RFEs asking for copies of the whole book, but I have a feeling that’s only for cases where USCIS really wants to see more details for some reason.

Don’t worry about it. Try not to second guess yourself, it will drive you nuts, as others have mentioned.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In previous versions, the instructions used to say "all.". This has now been deleted but old habits remain

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's how I see it.

You sent in your application. It's done.

If you're going to get an RFE for something, ANYTHING, nothing you can do about it now. 'hurry up and wait' as the saying goes.

I included all pages of BOTH our passports, because I found that particular instruction to be slightly ambiguous. Rather send it all, than have them want something that a few minutes at the copy machine in my office could have prevented. BUT ... I tend to be OCD. If I miss something (and it could have happened).... there's nothing I can do about it at this point .

hurry up and wait.

sigh .... ;)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

3 hours ago, payxibka said:

In previous versions, the instructions used to say "all.". This has now been deleted but old habits remain

I agree with payxibka.  When I applied for my husband in 2014, I specifically sent a copy of my birth certificate because the instructions for sending a copy of your passport stated that all pages must be sent.  Obviously, sending a copy of my birth certificate was easier.  There is even a difference in today's requirements for sending your birth certificate.  When I filed, the instructions required sending copies of both the front and back of the birth certificate.  I found that odd because there was nothing on the back of my birth certificate--today's instructions only state:  "A copy of your birth certificate issued by a U.S. civil authority."

Having gone through the process, I understand your anxiety.  And I know it's hard to do, but I would advise you to relax.  You will be fine.

Good luck on your journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.