Mike129F

A hard immigration question about pets..... seriously

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This is a serious but hard question. My fiance is in Russia and just got visa approval after embassy interview. :) :) :)

We just had an unexpected delay in buying tickets to come here. She called the airline Aeroflot to ask about pet requirements and the said that dogs (She has a small chihuahua) must be chipped for more than 30 days prior to travel. 

On the airlines website this is not a requirement, and on all the US websites this is not a requirement for any government agency. Can anyone give advice on traveling to the US with a pet dog? This is not a service animal or anything exotic. She has all her paperwork and shots but it would be a shame to have to delay for 2 weeks or more to wait for a mysterious 30+ day after chipping travel requirement. 

Only knowledgable experienced replies please. I don't need general advice as we have already read all the relevant regulatory agencies websites. Has anyone actually immigrated to the US with a pet? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New life, from K1 P&P - Not a K1 related question, but a flying with pets question.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Mike129F said:

This is a serious but hard question. My fiance is in Russia and just got visa approval after embassy interview. :) :) :)

We just had an unexpected delay in buying tickets to come here. She called the airline Aeroflot to ask about pet requirements and the said that dogs (She has a small chihuahua) must be chipped for more than 30 days prior to travel. 

On the airlines website this is not a requirement, and on all the US websites this is not a requirement for any government agency. Can anyone give advice on traveling to the US with a pet dog? This is not a service animal or anything exotic. She has all her paperwork and shots but it would be a shame to have to delay for 2 weeks or more to wait for a mysterious 30+ day after chipping travel requirement. 

Only knowledgable experienced replies please. I don't need general advice as we have already read all the relevant regulatory agencies websites. Has anyone actually immigrated to the US with a pet? 

Use a different airline, I flew with my dog from Paris to San Francisco on airfrance, I registered my dog as a "emotional support dog" and was able to have her with me on the plane sitting on my lap. 

Don't confuse my personality with my attitude....My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Emotional support dog. Wish they had that when Natasha brought her cat. That will only work once you are out of Russia. They tend to change their "rules" at the last minute. They have to be chipped and all relevant shots. They have to have "clearance" from a vet or they won't even let them get on the plane. Once you are out of Russia it's much easier. You should follow the airlines rules and then go to the vet. Don't put them in cargo if you can avoid it especially not a chihuahua. Our cat wound up lost, sitting on the Tarmac at Frankfurt and 3 hour wait in the hall of the airport while going thru immigration. Don't wait till the last minute and never sedate

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, Mike129F said:

Let her talk to someone in charge at Customs and  have her “grease their hand” This is Russia. That’s how things are done there or any other USSR country. Not a joke....speaking from experience. They do all of this on purpose to get paid.  impose some BS policies for people who have no other opinions....

Edited by Yan_Inna

Airlines that conduct service in the US tend to be cracking down on animals claimed as emotional support animals and service animals unless you provide appropriate documentation in advance. This is due to people who have done so but the animals were not properly trained to function in that capacity and caused disturbances to the other passengers.

Not all airlines have imposed these requirements yet, but it is something to think about.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have an ESA, you can get the documentation on line, shop around cheapest I have seen I think was $70.

Now mine is a Great Pyrenees so a slight difference in size.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

My step-son brought his Bernese Mountain Dog puppy from Belarus thru Moscow and then New York in a kennel in the body of the plane. Too big for the passenger compartment. This was last year. The dog was chipped but no one asked about it. In NY they just asked to see the dogs papers and he was out in a few minutes. The dogs "passport" had all the shots in Russian and English. Going back a few years I brought my Black Russian Terrier directly from Moscow. No chip at the time but she had a tattoo in her ear.Again no one even asked. I had to take her thru animal control in Moscow and it cost $50 to the "officer" to approve transit. Cash only please. American dollars only.  I honestly do not know how they can tell how long the dog had a chip unless it is in the dogs paperwork someplace.And if so I am sure that can be "changed". Lastly, you fiance is Russian, your not. Makes a big difference. She can tell them just about anything in "the right voice". Doubt if they are going to argue.

17 hours ago, geowrian said:

Airlines that conduct service in the US tend to be cracking down on animals claimed as emotional support animals and service animals unless you provide appropriate documentation in advance. This is due to people who have done so but the animals were not properly trained to function in that capacity and caused disturbances to the other passengers.

Not all airlines have imposed these requirements yet, but it is something to think about.

I was reading a couple of airline, For Trained service animals not much they can do

For the Emotional support where people bring on hamsters, ferrets, dogs, etc. they are trying to crack down on that.  Seems like it still pretty easy to get around the requirement just find a person to sign off

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

• 2 months later...

I moved to the US with my kitty. That was a long time ago: different rules, and the airline I used no longer exists (Northwest). Have you looked into using a different airline that has friendlier rules for pets?

Blue Bianchi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

01/08/2020 Day 00 - Submitted N-400 online

01/11/2020 Day 03 - Received NOA online, Priority Date January 8, 2020

01/14/2020 Day 06 - Received notice of Biometrics appointment online.

01/31/2020 Day 20 - Biometrics Appointment (scheduled)
07/08/2020 Day 183 - Received online notice of citizenship interview 
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship interview
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship Oath (Same day as interview!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am horrified at some of the suggestions on here. If you NEED an emotional support animal, by all means, register your dog as one, but don’t do it for the free ticket. People who do that are jeopardising the whole process for people who actually need one. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Where do you register an ESA?

Link?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Where do you register an ESA?

Link?

Sorry, not sure but I agree with others that this should be done exclusively for those that have a legitimate psychological need for such. If you have a hamster/bird/fish etc I sympathize but such can be given to a reputable store or relative/friend for good care and replaced. If you have a true service animal then ESA is the way to go. For my fiance(now Wife 😊) she was able to get her vet to provide the appropriate chip/paperwork and even though she had ample documentation it was never questioned or even examined during her travel to the US. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.