jmanari

My K1 Visa have been refused - not sure what to do now

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi All -

please advise - I have filled a K1 visa for my fiance and it has been refused and returned back to USCIS.

Now that they have ruined my planned wedding - should I just go head and file for a CR1 visa for her or wait till they respond back?

Thanks

Jay

Edited by jmanari

1) It is important to analyze exactly why it was denied. If the issue is major, it will still be a problem if you are married and file.

2) If you can figure out what the reason was and it is corrected, it may be better to withdraw the previous petition and refile. It takes a long time normally for USCIS to review the Consular denial.

A lot of this depends on the game plan you have with your Fiancé and your future together. Either way, USCIS and the Embassies are taking longer every day, so it will be a while before getting this immigration stuff over with. Consult with a lawyer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We will need to know more about the relationship. How much time have you spent together in person? Are there any red flags? (large age difference is a big one), are you both the same religion? How did the interview go? What language did she do the interview in? 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

first of all Morocco embassy does not tell u why a K1 is denied / they hand a white sheet marked 221 b ??? can't remember exact letters and once returned to US you will hear nothing / never heard a reason my K1 was denied in 2009

many of us go thru this

need to return to morocco and marry / google american citizen to marry a moroccan to get information on what is required to marry in Morocco

or write to me and i will advise (documents and steps / the price has gone also)

Edited by Ban Hammer
removed phone number

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post edited to remove phone number.  please remember that this site is

readable by anyone, not just members.  it is best to use private messaging

for anything involving email account addresses and phone numbers.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
10 hours ago, jmanari said:

Hi All -

please advise - I have filled a K1 visa for my fiance and it has been refused and returned back to USCIS.

Now that they have ruined my planned wedding - should I just go head and file for a CR1 visa for her or wait till they respond back?

Thanks

Jay

Was it refused/denied or just returned to the US and allowed to expire? There's a difference in these two things. 

You ask if you should wait till they respond back, what information are you hoping to get from them? 

What you do next is up to you but unless you may understand the problem, not fixing it won't solve anything. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

The returned petition will expire and die.
You have to file again, overcome the reason for denial, marry and file a Cr1. No waiting or lawyer needed.
To determine the reason:
1. Go over the entire interview with a fine toothed comb, every question, every answer, what was the focus.

2. Contact your senator for an inquiry for a possible answer from the embassy.
3. If the reason was 'not bona fide' relationship then that is easily overcome with good quality relationship proof and visits.
4. If the 221g letter  was given and contains numbers and letters post back here for clarification of such.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

After my K1 visa was denied and months of waiting for the reason USCIS finally sent me a letter that said nothing about why it was denied...so I spoke to a lady at USCIS and she said sometimes the CO will deny if something does not seem right like if the CO ask a question and the answer does not seem the proper way the CO expect you to respond then they will deny you for something so very simple.....But we must know more of what happened for them to refuse your visa because a lot of us on VJ have experience with the casablanca consulate and we can help you so you want stress yourself out wondering why...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

morocco just denies with no explanation

and most moroccans are not here in VJ but today 21 went for interviews and only 1 was approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

morocco just denies with no explanation

and most moroccans are not here in VJ but today 21 went for interviews and only 1 was approved

Where did you get the data about the number of interviews/approvals today?

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was paying attention when I have my interview and I think everybody passed but I could not be certain and that seems a lot of applications.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 9/17/2017 at 11:36 PM, jmanari said:

Hi All -

Thanks

Jay

:time:

Without any information as how the interview went, what questions were asked, what possible red flags there may be it is very difficult to give you any advice.  K1s that are denied for lack of bonafide relationship evidence (which I assume is the issue) really have no recourse.  You need to determine what issues caused the denial and resolve them before applying for a new visa.  Whether it is another K1 or CR1, you need to address why you were denied first.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.