davidindallas

US Citizen Wanting to Marry someone on B2

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My significant other came to the U.S. in May 2017 on a B2 visa to see the U.S. and friends. I am a U.S. citizen. We met in July 2017 and began dating and now would like to get married.

If we were to marry would he be able to stay beyond the B2 expiration date (November) and file for the adjustment of status?

Also, what type of proof is needed to demonstrate the relationship is legitimate? We love each other very much and spend a lot of time together so I would think this would not be too hard to demonstrate?

05/13/2017 | Spouse entered U.S.

07/17/2017 | First date

10/13/2017 | Married! (L)

11/07/2017 | AOS Package sent via Fedex to USCIS

11/09/2017 | Package received! 

11/27/2017 | Receipt Notice Texts & Emails @ 11pm 

12/01/2017 | Hard copies of Receipt Notice in the mail

12/15/2017 | Biometrics Appointment letter received 

12/26/2017 | Biometrics Appointment

03/06/2018 | Called USCIS to open Inquiry for EAD

03/14/2018 | Opened Service Request online for EAD

03/23/2018 | Status Updated to "We are producing your card and will mail it to you"

03/26/2018 | Status Updated to "We approved your case"

03/29/2018 | Received EAD

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think it's fraud to AOS on a b2 visa, Plus You met in July, 2017 and want to get married now? Thats hardly 3 months you would have a tough time even is you could AOS.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Technically yes that would be allowed. Mostly they are looking at evidence of financial commingling, etc.

However, you have only known this person for about 2 months. Are you absolutely certain that you are ready for this? Why not take your time and eventually do a fiancé or spousal visa when you are both ready?

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Considering she entered the country in May before you even met her, it seems pretty clear that it was not her and your intention to marry and immigrate on a B2 visa.  It is only fraud if the intention at the time of entering the US is to stay and immigrate and the person immigrating lies about that to the IO at CBP.  So yes, you can get married and she can Adjust her Status (AOS) while still staying in the country, but she will not be able to leave the US prior to getting an Advanced Parole.  Here is an interesting article that covers this situation that @missileman posted in another thread that may be helpful.

If she cannot stay for personal reasons such as needing to get back for a job, or taking care of personal business in her home country, then you can still get married, but you will need to file a CR1 spousal visa to allow her to return.

Good Luck!

https://www.soundimmigration.com/can-i-enter-on-a-visitors-visa-b-2-and-then-adjust-status-to-permanent-resident/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

User Bill & Katya thank you so much. Very, very helpful information. 

07/17/2017 | First date

03/23/2018 | Status Updated to "We are producing your card and will mail it to you"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
1 hour ago, Seth And Quynh said:

I think it's fraud to AOS on a b2 visa, Plus You met in July, 2017 and want to get married now? Thats hardly 3 months you would have a tough time even is you could AOS.

No its not. Unless there was an intention to get married and AOS before coming here - it can not be fraud. Besides intent is determined at POE so since they are both here already. They can go ahead and get married and file AOS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, davidindallas said:

Also, what type of proof is needed to demonstrate the relationship is legitimate?

Joint bank accounts, joint utility bills, joint tax returns, joint car insurance, joint health insurance, joint lease or home ownership, will or retirement statements declaring the other is the beneficiary----basically anything that demonstrates you are mixing finances.  Along with that, photos of the two of you together or with each others families before and after the wedding, congratulatory cards/letters received by others addressed to the both of you before and after your marriage, that sort of thing.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
On 9/9/2017 at 0:09 PM, DECKKAM said:

Pls can I add d photocopies of my kids from previous marriage in my documents for AOS..dat am sending to d lockbox

Yes you can and should if you are applying for AOS for them too.

Timeline
On 9/9/2017 at 10:04 AM, Seth And Quynh said:

It's not fraud in any way or form..... People met and marry within a day....yes I agree 3 months seems early....

We also know that knowing your spouses for years still don't guaranty a happy ever after as couples still divorce afters years of marriage.

Timeline
On 9/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, davidindallas said:

My significant other came to the U.S. in May 2017 on a B2 visa to see the U.S. and friends. I am a U.S. citizen. We met in July 2017 and began dating and now would like to get married.

If we were to marry would he be able to stay beyond the B2 expiration date (November) and file for the adjustment of status?

Also, what type of proof is needed to demonstrate the relationship is legitimate? We love each other very much and spend a lot of time together so I would think this would not be too hard to demonstrate?

Start by taking pictures of all the events you attend together, visit families together pictures.. Get a joint account on every official documents that is permitted as suggested.

Finally after the marriage, make sure you file for the AOS before the expiration of the B2 visa.... As this though not necessary but needful.

Good luck with your marriage, even though some people might not agree but if you think you love each other enough to say I do....go ahead..... Live life and enough every moment. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/9/2017 at 7:34 AM, Bill & Katya said:

Considering she entered the country in May before you even met her, it seems pretty clear that it was not her and your intention to marry and immigrate on a B2 visa.  It is only fraud if the intention at the time of entering the US is to stay and immigrate and the person immigrating lies about that to the IO at CBP.  So yes, you can get married and she can Adjust her Status (AOS) while still staying in the country, but she will not be able to leave the US prior to getting an Advanced Parole.  Here is an interesting article that covers this situation that @missileman posted in another thread that may be helpful.

If she cannot stay for personal reasons such as needing to get back for a job, or taking care of personal business in her home country, then you can still get married, but you will need to file a CR1 spousal visa to allow her to return.

Good Luck!

https://www.soundimmigration.com/can-i-enter-on-a-visitors-visa-b-2-and-then-adjust-status-to-permanent-resident/

Interesting article and thank you for posting that.  It does get into some good points.  But color me a skeptic because it's an article on a website for legal professionals wanting new clients to provide their services to.  Intent is a very gray area.  The article points out that the interviewing IO can look at an application package and question whether or not the foreigner had immigration intent at POE.  While this is true (any IO can question that), I feel like it's misrepresenting the interview process just a little bit.  From what I've read on this site about the interview process, it seems like most IO's are primarily concerned with the validity of the RELATIONSHIP and consequent MARRIAGE.  I'm not saying that IO's don't or won't ever ask the foreigner, "What was your intent when you crossed the border?" during the marriage interview.  I'm sure it does happen once in a while, BUT I'm saying it seems like it's a non-issue by the time a bonafide couple reaches the interview.  Even with fake couples, it seems like they're caught because their lack of intimate knowledge and of each other, not necessarily because one slips up and admits that they planned to adjust their status BEFORE crossing the border. 

However, as pointed in this thread and many others' situations (mine included, because I was on B2 when my husband and I decided to get married in May), OP's situation is NOT fraud.  The only cautionary point is that he and his significant other have not been together or even known each other for very long.  I think it'll be a little more difficult for them to convince USCIS of their marriage.  Also, I'm not a lawyer or have any legal expertise.  @davidindallas It might be wise to consult a lawyer for peace of mind before embarking on this process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 minutes ago, skim00 said:

Interesting article and thank you for posting that.  It does get into some good points.  But color me a skeptic because it's an article on a website for legal professionals wanting new clients to provide their services to.  Intent is a very gray area.  The article points out that the interviewing IO can look at an application package and question whether or not the foreigner had immigration intent at POE.  While this is true (any IO can question that), I feel like it's misrepresenting the interview process just a little bit.  From what I've read on this site about the interview process, it seems like most IO's are primarily concerned with the validity of the RELATIONSHIP and consequent MARRIAGE.  I'm not saying that IO's don't or won't ever ask the foreigner, "What was your intent when you crossed the border?" during the marriage interview.  I'm sure it does happen once in a while, BUT I'm saying it seems like it's a non-issue by the time a bonafide couple reaches the interview.  Even with fake couples, it seems like they're caught because their lack of intimate knowledge and of each other, not necessarily because one slips up and admits that they planned to adjust their status BEFORE crossing the border. 

However, as pointed in this thread and many others' situations (mine included, because I was on B2 when my husband and I decided to get married in May), OP's situation is NOT fraud.  The only cautionary point is that he and his significant other have not been together or even known each other for very long.  I think it'll be a little more difficult for them to convince USCIS of their marriage.  Also, I'm not a lawyer or have any legal expertise.  @davidindallas It might be wise to consult a lawyer for peace of mind before embarking on this process.

Agree with everything you said.  I crossed the border on a B1/B2 visa as well and decided to get married afterwards...then stayed in the US while doing the AOS.  At no time during my interview was my "intent" ever brought into question---because intent is determined at port of entry, not at the interview.  During the interview, the validity of the marriage/relationship is the focus....intent becomes something that was already adjudicated (for lack of a better term, but it fits) before that stage.

On an aside, sometimes the lack (or existence) of assumption about "intent" can depend on the country of origin....if we're being honest here.  It shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it does when USCIS has unofficial lists of "high fraud countries" they use when determining red flags in applications.  

The OP and their significant other are going to want to make sure they have concrete proof of their bonafide relationship and marriage---it's a bit harder when you've known each other a short while before marrying, but not impossible since you aren't the first ones to encounter a whirlwind romance either.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

Thank you sweetadams and skim00 and Going through. Yes, of course it is soon. However, it feels completely right. I really appreciate all of the advice and well wishes. :) It makes me happy to know others have been in this same situation. I will post updates.

07/17/2017 | First date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.