mrx3214

Thinking my wife is homesick and depressed

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

After waiting forever for whole process we finally moved back to the U.S.  Only been home for few days now, but I can tell she is not very happy being here.(missing home)  If I could of found a new job back in her country. I'm sure we would still be there to this day. She had no interest on re locating to the U.S.   Maybe someone who has been in her shoes could give me some supportive advice to my mind at ease.  Thanks

Timeline

Home sickness, culture shock, possible boredom.. completely normal in moving from one country to another. I experienced this when moving only from the US to Canada.. guaranteed it must pale in comparison to culture shock of Nepal to USA.

Just gotta work with the spouse, plan visits to see in-laws, accommodate to help them feel comfortable in their new home, but moderate this so they aren't under the impression that American culture is to wait hand and foot on others. There needs to be some pressure to adapt.

Edited by IAMX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Like you said, she's only been in the US for a "few days"---it takes time to adjust and what she's going through is normal, more so since she had no interest in relocating to the US as you say.

Right now she needs your understanding and support.  Put yourself in her shoes a bit to understand more what is going through her mind right now.  She's left all of her friends, all of her family, perhaps her job, lifestyle, cuisine, and now feels trapped at home for several hours alone while you are at work (I am assuming).  It's hard to go out and explore the new city when she really doesn't know how to get around on her own yet since she's been in the US less than a week---that will come as she becomes accustomed to public transit where she is living now.

She will need a bit of a push, but not in a talking stern way, and certainly not in a "this is your new life, deal with it" kind of way either (not saying you will do this, just using an example).  See if you can take a few days off or take a weekend and show her some of the "basic" things---like where the best coffee shop is in your neighborhood, start to teach her how to get around on public transit in your area, how to get to the grocery store on her own if it's not in walking distance, get her a cellphone so incase she gets lost (and that can be a fear when first going out on  your own in a new land) she can call you for help/directions right away.  She will seem clingy at first, but remember because it's mostly due to you being the only person she knows in the US right now.

Remember all the things you take for granted living here for so long is COMPLETELY new and foreign to her...even if she's visited the US before, it's quite different when actually living here.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

On 9/3/2017 at 0:03 AM, mrx3214 said:

After waiting forever for whole process we finally moved back to the U.S.  Only been home for few days now, but I can tell she is not very happy being here.(missing home)  If I could of found a new job back in her country. I'm sure we would still be there to this day. She had no interest on re locating to the U.S.   Maybe someone who has been in her shoes could give me some supportive advice to my mind at ease.  Thanks

Dont worry mrx, it takes time. Initially when I came over, I was tearing missing my families and missing everything back home. It really takes time to adapt. Give her sometime and also introduce some of your friends. It helps!

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

She'll get over it just go with the flow. She isn't the first nor the last wife to through these emotions. Remember she got married to you not her parents or friends back at her ex country. Yes her ex country because now you are family #1 and U.S is her new country.

Comfort her remind her that you love her and try the best you can to got back to where she came from once every 2 years or so. Once she gets pregnant with your baby her emotions will change and she'll realize you and the baby are most important. 

Just give her some time to adjust. Be patient and supportive. This isn't easy for her as this isn't easy for you. Now that you are a married couple, you have to work as a team. When one is down, the other should help to lift them up. Talk to her about it, the only way you'll find out how she really feels. Take her around, maybe find a restaurant that serves her local comfort food. It takes time to adjust but it gets better. Just hold on to her.

**N-400** 06-27-2018 : N-400 online & NOA1 || 07-07-18 : received Bio Appt e-mail notification || 07-27-18 : Biometrics reviewed || 09-25-18 : OFFICIAL 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY || 11-06-18 : Interview 

|| 12-18-2018 : APPROVED; in line to be scheduled for Oathtaking || 02-11-19 : OATHTAKING CEREMONY --

**ROC** (pending)  07-26-2017 : I-751 sent || 07-31-2017 : NOA1 || 09-05-2017 : Biometrics || 08-09-2018 : Case transferred to local office || 12-18-2018 : Card in production || 12-26-18 : received GC --

**AOS/EAD/AP** 02-20-2015 : AOS filed || 02-24-2015 : NOA1 || 03-19-2015 : Biometrics || 04-30-2015 : EAD&AP approved || 05-05-2015 : EAD&AP received || 09-25-2015 : Conditional GC approved || 10-02-2015 : GC received --

**K-1** 08-12-2014 : I-129F Sent || 08-14-2014 : NOA1 || 09-03-2014 : NOA2 || 09-10-2014 : Petition transferred from USCIS to NVC || 09-18-2014 : NVC received || 09-24-2014 : US Embassy MNL received our case || 10-14-2014 : Medical Exam done! || 10-23-2014 : Interview || 10-31-2014 : Passport & Visa on hand --

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 9/3/2017 at 10:04 AM, mallafri76 said:

It's all in the attitude. She can't hold on to things from back home. Now she's in America and she has to embrace the culture and atmosphere over here. I've lived in several countries all over the world and the people who have the hardest time adjusting are the ones that cling on to things from back home; food, culture, language etc. 

I immigrated to the US in April 2016 with my husband in prison. I had to find a place to live, get furniture for the apartment, buy a car, get a Texas driver's license, get insurance etc etc etc all by myself. Within a month of moving here, I had a home, new friends, a job, a car and everything in place. I literally picked up from Sweden, moved halfway around the world and continued my normal life in the US with little disruption. I was able to do this because before moving here, my husband and I had a long discussion and decided together that me moving to the US was the best decision for us at the time. I then decided to keep an open mind, be positive and do the best of our decision. One year and five months after immigrating to the US, I'm now at the top of my career and my husband and I are building our dream home.

Again, it's all in the attitude. Sitting at home feeling sorry for herself and thinking about back home all the time is not gonna help. She needs to focus on the good things over here and all the things she can accomplish here. I always tell my husband that it doesn't matter where we are in the world, as long as we're together, we create our own sunshine. 

This 1000x.  I was totally shocked how well my husband has adjusted, but you're right it's all because of his attitude.  The freezing weather, food, lack of culture in my town, etc he overcame with ease it seemed.  I asked him how he adjusted so well.  He said you have to spread your wings.  I know he misses home and family, but he keeps busy, makes new friends, and keeps it moving.

OP keep her busy.  Check your local library main branch.  They have all kinds of free classes.  Ours here even had a class to help immigrants with English and adapting to their surroundings.  My husband started there, met friends, got a job, and met more friends.  Independence helps.  He learned how to use our bus system, then got his driver's license.  I take him to new places, we tourist together.  Look for groups or places that are familar to her home country...restaurants, stores, clubs, etc.

• 3 months later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 9/2/2017 at 9:26 PM, Gorkhali said:

You thought the visa process was difficult, no wait the adjustment is going to be rougher. It takes a good year for people to adjust. 

I am feeling it. I thought the VISA process was crazy (7+ years of case backlogs), but arriving here and adjusting to anything seems twice as hard. Nonetheless, some of the advice given above I have found to be a tad helpful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As a psychologist and worked for Dept of Defense for last 17 years. I have helped many couples with this and as others have said it is normal and she needs your understanding, support. Do not push and listen her feeling are real. Many areas' have  have expat groups & clubs try and find one for her. Sometimes you may go and sometimes it would be helpful to get her there and you leave. That way she can speak in native language and not having to be worried about you. When she is done she call you and you go pick her up. The women there have been in her situation and will help her thought the process in a way you could not. My girlfriend is in Russia and is Orthodox. I was able to find and Russian Orthodox church and plan to go there if she desire when she gets here. There is also Russian restaurant. For me I do not believe she should have to choose between America  or Russia. Yes she will be American but still have the connection she desire with Russian culture.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I totally agree with what other people are saying. I only moved from Canada to the US, so in many ways it was very easy. That said, I still get homesick. The hardest thing for me is not having friends and family around. I try to talk to people back home regularly, but I also try to not let that take place of finding new friends. I would suggest for your wife to maybe look into Meet-up groups. If there isn't one, maybe she could start her own.

Also encourage her to get out and find some hobbies, or volunteer, etc. Anything to create a new social circle. When I first moved here, the only friends I had were my husband's friends and honestly it made me feel so lonely. Having some friends that hers would probably help a lot. It's hard to make friends as you get older.

Be supportive and if she just needs to be sad for a while, that's ok too.

Another thing that helped me was focusing on learning my new home. I went to tourist attractions (sometimes on my own and sometimes with my husband). I tried out walking trails, found beaches in the summer. Went to local festivals, etc. etc. You do have to force yourself to get out there.  

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

--------------------------

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

I've been here a year and I still get homesick. It doesn't help that I can't drive or get anywhere (I am trying to learn but finding time and a person to take me out can be difficult). Getting a job did help, but I still miss being able to take myself places and not having to rely on anyone else to take me to do things. I am bored, I do not like living in the middle of nowhere and I miss the city. We have talked about moving next year closer to a big city so I'm happy about that. But it is hard to come from everything you've known. It takes time! I moved here for my husband but I was happy where I was in England. Things take time and eventually I'll be able to drive which I think will really help me since that's one of the biggest reasons I get home sick (not being able to get out and about).

K-1 Jan 2016 Applicant timeline.

I-129f sent to lock box 7th January 2016.
Delivered 11th January 2016.
NOA1 sent to CSC January 14th 2016.
NOA1 Hard copy January 21st 2016.
RFE email 10th March 2016.
RFE hard copy - 21th March 2016.
RFE Evidence sent- 4th April 2016.
RFE Received by USCIS- 6th April 2016.
NOA2 Received by email dated 18th April 2016.
NOA2 hard copy - April 21st 2016
NVC Recieved- May 9th 2016.
NVC number received- May 9th 2016.
DS-160 filled out - 9th May 2016.
Medical - May 18th 2016
CEAC in Transit - 11th May 2016.
CEAC update embassy received medical- may 24th 2016
Interview- June 15th 2016. - approved!!
POE- July 13th 2016 -Chicago

Married July 18th 2016. (L)

AOS

Package sent- August 18th 2016

Arrived at Chicago Lockbox- August 20th 2016.

NOA 1 - August 25th 2016 (text received 27th).

AP NOA1- 22nd August 2016 (text received 27th).

EAD NOA1- 22nd August 2016 (email received 27th).

NOA1 Hard copies received- September 1st 2016.

Bio-metrics- 20th September 2016.

Request Initial Information for I-485 - October 6th 2016.

RFIE- Affidavit Support information October 11th 2016.

RFIE- Response sent Overnight USPS. October 17th 2016.

RFIE- Delivered October 18th 2016.

RFIE- Received by USCIS October 20th 2016.

EAD- Card Being produced November 17th 2016.

AP- Approved November 17th 2016.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Having a car does absolutely help, and being close to a big city.

I always thought I would love to live on a farm in rural America, but I came to the conclusion that this is unrealistic dream. Where we live now is not rural at all, but it's hard to find people I truly connect with. I think that's the hardest adjustment for me so far. Before, no matter where I went I would connect easily with others, but this area I'm just not feeling it.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/26/2017 at 11:38 AM, chiggins82 said:

I totally agree with what other people are saying. I only moved from Canada to the US, so in many ways it was very easy. That said, I still get homesick. The hardest thing for me is not having friends and family around. I try to talk to people back home regularly, but I also try to not let that take place of finding new friends. I would suggest for your wife to maybe look into Meet-up groups. If there isn't one, maybe she could start her own.

Also encourage her to get out and find some hobbies, or volunteer, etc. Anything to create a new social circle. When I first moved here, the only friends I had were my husband's friends and honestly it made me feel so lonely. Having some friends that hers would probably help a lot. It's hard to make friends as you get older.

Be supportive and if she just needs to be sad for a while, that's ok too.

Another thing that helped me was focusing on learning my new home. I went to tourist attractions (sometimes on my own and sometimes with my husband). I tried out walking trails, found beaches in the summer. Went to local festivals, etc. etc. You do have to force yourself to get out there.  

I moved from Canada as well. It’s pretty easy to keep yourself involved in things, keeping busy, meeting people... but I find that when I come home to Canada  where I’ve lived for the past 33 years, I realize even more how much I miss living at home. I miss my family and friends, life is going on without me, and I appreciate every second of being home.

I was at Dollarama today and the lady in front of me paid with beautiful, colourful Canadian bills. Oh how I miss seeing those. I also appreciated the nice quality and low prices of a Canadian dollar store. All the dollar stores I’ve been to in Connecticut are kind of junky, and most items are overpriced / not a good value.

Also today, a lady at Royal Bank almost didn’t hold the door open for me (its -25 and she couldn’t see with her big Eskimo hood on). But she turned and saw me, giving a sincere apology as she held the door for me. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t see ya there.” Wow. She doesn’t realize how warm and fuzzy that made me feel. I’ve never been more proud to be a Canadian.

Being home with my family where I grew up is priceless to me, and I’m cherishing every moment and I’m actually sort of  dreading going back to the US... even though the love of my life awaits me there, I have friends, a car, and 2 jobs.

It feels incredible to be back home, and I think no matter how much time passes or how busy you keep yourself, homesickness is just inevitable for most of us. At least we can relate :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.