Waitinggame16

Chicago N400 filers

2,518 posts in this topic

So something weird is happening. I have my oath tomorrow and I'm kinda having second thoughts. As in after tomorrow, I can't just be a permanent resident anymore, I can't just later on say "hey, can I down grade from US citizen to permanent resident". 

I find that I'm now googling "what happens if you never go for your oath ceremony".

Anyone else have such anxiety and maybe second thoughts before their oath? It's so weird because this has been an 8 yr journey for me. If you had asked me 1 month ago, there would have been no doubt in my mind. Now that it's less than 24 hrs away, I'm anxious. Weird 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Zkot4ov said:

So something weird is happening. I have my oath tomorrow and I'm kinda having second thoughts.

Anyone else have such anxiety and maybe second thoughts before their oath? It's so weird because this has been an 8 yr journey for me. If you had asked me 1 month ago, there would have been no doubt in my mind. Now that it's less than 24 hrs away, I'm anxious. Weird 

Feelings of 'cold feet' are pretty common around big life events, particularly firsts. Think of events like marriage, the birth of children, or moving overseas. I was getting cold feet before pressing submit on the N-400 application, but I'm all-in now.

We can't know perfectly what our futures will be. We all have to make decisions on the basis of incomplete or uncertain information.

But neither are we totally powerless actors in our lives. We can help build and improve the lives around us by participating wholeheartedly in our communities and families.

It's a powerful statement of purpose to be a 'citizen by choice'.

Just got done. Huge weight off my shoulders. Can finally breathe hahaha.

Anyway just some suggestions to all who have upcoming oaths. Mine was at the Dearborn court house downtown. Complete your questionnaire before you arrive at the court house. 

Intend to arrive 30 minutes before you oath ceremony (really no point in getting there any earlier).

Goodluck everyone. It's been an awesome, long unforgettable journey.

Edited by Zkot4ov

On 4/24/2021 at 5:46 PM, Fahad86 said:

I am on chicago n400 whatsapp group and over there we have an applicant which was given decision cannot be given after interview. She kept writing emails every other day to USCIS and finally she recieved call from chicago office that there were signature issues related to the application so she will have to come in person to the office.

she went and clear up the situation now her status shows in line for oath. 

Moral of the story you are right there are some weird situation which doesnt have any justification.

Can you please send me the WhatsApp’s group number ? I applied back in Oct, So I can get estimate timeline for the interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Bad news: my husband missed his oath ceremony due to illness (fever, cough - had a rapid Covid test a couple days ago but the doctor's said it's not reliable and he should get an actual Covid test today or tomorrow.) We kept measuring his fever hoping it would go away before the oath but he still felt bad last night. :( I think it's just the flu but it specifically says do not attend if you feel sick.

So , I'm back in the same boat with you guys still waiting. We called USCIS and they said to physically mail a letter to the local office and include the original oath letter, as well as a written letter explaining why the oath was missed and requesting a new date. I'm sending the letter out today, let's see how long it takes to get a new oath date.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 4/28/2021 at 11:53 PM, Zkot4ov said:

So something weird is happening. I have my oath tomorrow and I'm kinda having second thoughts. As in after tomorrow, I can't just be a permanent resident anymore, I can't just later on say "hey, can I down grade from US citizen to permanent resident". 

I find that I'm now googling "what happens if you never go for your oath ceremony".

I had the same thing happen when I first applied for Citizenship and actually declined the invitation and wrote to the USCIS. I re-applied in August 2017 and finally attended my Oath Ceremony on 27th April 2021! A long and complicated journey, I had to re-schedule three Oath Ceremonies because I had been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and was in Hospital for 5 months and had a stem cell transplant, and have achieved remission and currently in recovery, my Doctor agreed to my attending the Ceremony which was quite an occasion.

The Ceremony was at 219 South Dearborn, Chicago, in the Quincy Courtyard. arriving 30 minutes before was plenty of time, registering first took a few minutes, I think I arrived at 1pm for the 1.45pm 'start' but the Cermony started about 30 minutes later, there was no President Video or National Anthem, so quick Ceremony. Cameras and phones were allowed, my only disappointment was attending alone, although there were a number of family and friends of other attendees there, not sure why, I think you are allowed interpreters and support.

It might be helpful to mention that a reason my case took so long was that at one point I left the Country for 9 months and that led to my application being denied, I successfully appealed myself and after a long wait for a decision and a little to my surprise I was successful.

Anyway, good luck to everyone, I certainly had a different feeling leaving the Ceremony.

Phil

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline
3 hours ago, millefleur said:

Bad news: my husband missed his oath ceremony due to illness (fever, cough - had a rapid Covid test a couple days ago but the doctor's said it's not reliable and he should get an actual Covid test today or tomorrow.) We kept measuring his fever hoping it would go away before the oath but he still felt bad last night. :( I think it's just the flu but it specifically says do not attend if you feel sick.

So , I'm back in the same boat with you guys still waiting. We called USCIS and they said to physically mail a letter to the local office and include the original oath letter, as well as a written letter explaining why the oath was missed and requesting a new date. I'm sending the letter out today, let's see how long it takes to get a new oath date.

Ugh Bummer! Sorry :(

On 4/14/2021 at 8:54 PM, gogojogop said:

I am January 2020 filler, and I see many completed applications that started pretty later than mine. It is hard to understand what is the key parameter for USCIS in this. Can anybody explain? 

This is happening in Seattle and SF. End of Dec, Jan and early Feb are kinda skipped. I think there might be a system glitch. It's none sense. They have been going with order in Seattle for few months until they hit mid Dec, then they jumped to Feb, and now handling March. People in between are in the same boat like you. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline
On 5/4/2021 at 5:15 PM, MGMA said:

This is happening in Seattle and SF. End of Dec, Jan and early Feb are kinda skipped. I think there might be a system glitch. It's none sense. They have been going with order in Seattle for few months until they hit mid Dec, then they jumped to Feb, and now handling March. People in between are in the same boat like you. 

Thanks, fingers crossed for everyone who is waiting so long.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Just started my journey...

Filed online Apr 29th.

Received NOA and Bio Reuse at the same time On May 6th.

And the wait starts now....

Chicago NBC

Edited by spicyguy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Just filed today and received Biometric Reuse.

N-400: filled online on May 8th, 2021

Biometric Reuse Notice: May 8th, 2021
Interview: May 10th, 2022 - Interview De-Scheduled

Interview rescheduled on May 11th, 2022

New Interview: Jun 27th, 2022 - Approved 🥳

Oath Ceremony: July 14th, 2022

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Saska+Tim said:

Hi Everyone,

Just filed today and received Biometric Reuse.

Awesome.. Wait begins...

Edited by spicyguy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Update:

i had my interview today at 101 W Ida B Wells drive building and left with N-642 form that stated that I passed the civics test and "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval". i was told that I should be receiving a letter from USCIS within 30 days.

When I got home, I checked on USCIS site and it showed that my status was updated with "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled" notice and that I should expect the letter to be sent within 30 days.

Almost there....

03318592-D9F1-4483-8C30-AE56D2728179.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.