DaveSana

Improving the Spousal & Fiancee Visa Processes

121 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Something else no one has touched on.  The interview scheduling process at the embassies is ridiculous.  You go in to the system and there are no interviews available after you have finished everything.  Then you have to keep checking over and over for when they add another 5 or 6 slots and hope you were checking soon enough to get one.  The Embassies need to have an established interview schedule that goes out 7 or 8 months so that when you finish your physical and all your documents and are let into the system to schedule an interview finally, there are actually interview slots available you can plan around.  It shouldn't take weeks of constantly logging in to check to get lucky enough to get on the schedule. 

15 minutes ago, Roel said:

No grudge. It's just my opinion.

But there should be rules and honestly love have nothing to do with the law.

People adjust from tourist visas or VWP, very often coming to the US with the intent to stay, because waiting few months for the spouse or fiancee visa is such a horrible, horrible experience and their weak hearts can't handle the separation. Sorry, but I always laugh at those people. If you're an adult and can't survive few months without your partner, there is something wrong with you. Find a job or a hobby, don't play the system.

Yes, I do think people who can handle doing the right thing should be more privileged. :)

Who gets to judge who played the system and who didn't? It's impossible to tell either way.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Roel said:

No grudge. It's just my opinion.

But there should be rules and honestly love have nothing to do with the law.

People adjust from tourist visas or VWP, very often coming to the US with the intent to stay, because waiting few months for the spouse or fiancee visa is such a horrible, horrible experience and their weak hearts can't handle the separation. Sorry, but I always laugh at those people. If you're an adult and can't survive few months without your partner, there is something wrong with you. Find a job or a hobby, don't play the system.

Yes, I do think people who can handle doing the right thing should be more privileged. :)

So what says you about the people who come for a visit, fall in love with the US, overstay, then meet their spouses at a later date? You are assuming that everyone who adjusts from B1 came with the intent to do so. Some people have been here for years before deciding to adjust. I think the ability to do so takes that into consideration. For this to work it would have to be done on the state level where a person with a B visa stamp in their passport (as that would be their only form of valid ID) , would not be able to marry in the first place. In a way it seems that is what you are suggesting. 

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Chardon Ne' said:

So what says you about the people who come for a visit, fall in love with the US, overstay, then meet their spouses at a later date? You are assuming that everyone who adjusts from B1 came with the intent to do so. Some people have been here for years before deciding to adjust. I think the ability to do so takes that into consideration. For this to work it would have to be done on the state level where a person with a B visa stamp in their passport (as that would be their only form of valid ID) , would not be able to marry in the first place. In a way it seems that is what you are suggesting. 

Not necessarily their only ID.  Some can use drivers licence, heck I used provincial health care card at one point.  

Also if you deny those with a visa in their passport, you lose out on a lot of tourist dollars of people who have destination weddings 

8 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Not necessarily their only ID.  Some can use drivers licence, heck I used provincial health care card at one point.  

Also if you deny those with a visa in their passport, you lose out on a lot of tourist dollars of people who have destination weddings 

Again the only persons who has true authority on if someone may marry stateside, is the states themselves. If one state barred a foreign national from marrying they would simply go to a state that allowed them. $'s indeed. And even though the CBP warns people not to marry on the VWP and adjust... we know people do it anyway because we.. don't do much to stop it. The feds can't stop people from marrying while visiting, nor should they. In fact it would be a lot easier for everyone if they didn't! What they should be doing is stopping the adjusting and require them to return home and apply like everyone else.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

4 hours ago, Transborderwife said:

Honestly I'd get rid of the fiancé visa or make it more difficult to obtain, I cannot count the amount of people on here who lament that their k1 arrived and it was fraudulent or they get a taste of the country and leave.  Keep the spousal visa, but for a premium cost allow entry and in country adjustment.  However with safety measures I highly doubt that they would do that.  

I also would get rid of the categories for siblings and adult children.

That not a wise perspective to get rid of adult children....what did you base your proposition on? Apparently you would have an absolutely opposite opinion if you had to leave your adult child who was at least 21 years old behind..

Edited by Lenchick

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

I said valid ID for purposes of marriage. Many states do not accept an international driver's license as a form of valid ID. I agree with you. I was just saying how much of an impossibility that would be because states have autonomy on those issues in terms of who can get married. 

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Lenchick said:

That not a wise perspective to get rid of adult children....what did you base your proposition on? Apparently you would have an absolutely opposite opinion if  had to leave your adult child who was at least 21 years old behind..

I don't know many other established countries that allow that kind of a visa.  I had to leave minor children behind for things beyond my control.  It sucks, but at that point they're adults and can find their own way here.  My parents left me behind when they immigrated and I was that age.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

I don't know many other established countries that allow that kind of a visa.  I had to leave minor children behind for things beyond my control.  It sucks, but at that point they're adults and can find their own way here.  My parents left me behind when they immigrated and I was that age.  

I agree with Transborderwife here. Adult children are, by definition, adults. They can find their own way in the world.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I'm sorry I didn't read through everything already said, but:

this is a mostly electronic process. As someone who helps companies do process improvements for a living, specifically those related to software, based on what I've seen from the software being used on this stuff it would benefit a great deal from process industrialization. Metrics, performance bonuses that can be easily tied to those metrics, accurate goal setting based on previous data, and most importantly (at least for us!) accurate time estimates based on current and previous case loads. And it wouldn't hurt to do a little Amazon-type stuff and over-estimate, instead of under-estimate, the time needed for a given task, so that we, the poor people on the other end of all this, can get a pleasant surprise when "1 - 6 weeks" is now "4 weeks" but is actually done in three. Also improved communication w/r/t where our paperwork is in the stack, and the removal of what appears to be 'random' processing - people who sent in stuff in January who get CCs a week later, versus people from the same country who submitted in November who are still waiting.

Of course all this and $5 will get you a cup of coffee.

Edited by phillamb168

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
38 minutes ago, jamaicankim said:

Get rid of spouse visa. Why can't you find a spouse in your own country.

uhhhhh whut

Edited by phillamb168

Filed: Country:
Timeline

odd idea but how about a 15k fine for adjusting from a non immigrant visa and the fine is not eligible for a fee waver. a kind of if you want to jump the line and be in the us pay for it.

see how many people would rather pay 16k to adjust in the states when they could get a visa abroad for less than 1k.

it is not really an improvement but will push most people to not try to abuse visas. to take it to an extreme have the fine increase by mabye 5k a year they are in the us illegally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.