DaveSana

Improving the Spousal & Fiancee Visa Processes

121 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Love To Teach said:

Yes, that's what I had to do (filed separately). That's why I was saying why can't I just put his total income, even though he owns his own businesses. There are bunches of forms to fill out. But it cost us out the wazoo for me to do that.

Taxation can be even more complicated than immigration.  That being said, the hurdles to file are not an immigration problem as he could be a citizen doing business internationally and still have to file in different countries. 

Yes, that's true. Some days it gets so depressing. We have known each other for 6 years, applied for CR1 over a year ago. It is ridiculous that it takes 5-6 months for the papers to even be picked up. They need to hire more people for processing. And on top of it all, there's more than likely long AP ahead. Nobody has a clue how hard it is unless they have gone through it. And to think, some people can just walk in and stay. That's so wrong on many levels.

2 minutes ago, Love To Teach said:

Yes, that's true. Some days it gets so depressing. We have known each other for 6 years, applied for CR1 over a year ago. It is ridiculous that it takes 5-6 months for the papers to even be picked up. They need to hire more people for processing. And on top of it all, there's more than likely long AP ahead. Nobody has a clue how hard it is unless they have gone through it. And to think, some people can just walk in and stay. That's so wrong on many levels.

That is where our opinions differ, I have no problem with that.  In fact, I wish it was easier - then your spouse would already be here with you.  

I wish it was easier to get him here also. So you think a person should be able to come here and stay without going through all the security check and stuff? i think I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying, for example, people from Mexico should just walk in a stay?

I have zero problem with open borders, yup walk in and stay - especially if it was done with reciprocity agreements where you could walk away and settle elsewhere (I KNOW that is not going to happen, but I have no problem with it at all).

Criminals will be criminals and find ways around security checks no matter what, sneak back in after deportation... 

Have you not been watching what is happening in Europe? How much experience have you had with other cultures that come here? Our country is already going under with the burden of people using the system as a welfare lifestyle. And, yes, I have seen it for years and years in my job, being overseas, being married to two men from two different countries. Having all the illegals here is already taxing the system...take a look at California. They are sinking the economy. I have no problem with people coming here legally. But, OMG, do you know what would happen if we opened our borders? How would you propose supporting all these people? I am not trying to argue with you, but to understand how you could possibly think we could accommodate the entire world here...financially, job-wise, all of it. We are not unlimited in our resources.

Edited by Love To Teach

The USA are the fourth county I'm living in, I have experienced and observed different situations.  I still do not see immigration as a threat, here or elsewhere.  

Contrary to you, I do not think that "the entire world" dreams of coming to the USA, or that immigrants take more than they give to a society (sinking the economy... right I forgot that the last major crisis was because immigrants schemed to mess with the American banking system!) .  

My time in the USA is soon coming to an end - early retirement FTW! [don't worry, I didn't even get a speeding ticket and I paid all taxes that were in fact due to your government, which I hope were used wisely to help my neighbours feed their kids or get appropriate care and didn't end up given away to corporate welfare - I worked, I volunteered, took care of my family, tried to get a better life, for myself and my peers... like most people, immigrants or not, do]   

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Love To Teach said:

Have you not been watching what is happening in Europe? How much experience have you had with other cultures that come here? Our country is already going under with the burden of people using the system as a welfare lifestyle. And, yes, I have seen it for years and years in my job, being overseas, being married to two men from two different countries. Having all the illegals here is already taxing the system...take a look at California. They are sinking the economy. I have no problem with people coming here legally. But, OMG, do you know what would happen if we opened our borders? How would you propose supporting all these people? I am not trying to argue with you, but to understand how you could possibly think we could accommodate the entire world here...financially, job-wise, all of it. We are not unlimited in our resources.

Tax dollars just like everyone else. Give them legal work and they pay into taxes like everyone else.  I'm for semi open borders and believe that it could indeed be beneficial in some ways.  I do not believe in denying healthcare or an education (especially to a child) just because they're illegal, they're human too.

i wouldn't call myself an illegal sympathizer per se, empathy more than sympathy as I have known a few (mostly DACAers, though the apartments across the street from us apparently have quite a few illegal immigrants).  Everyone that I've known paid their taxes in hopes that it could help them someday (example, Dapa that was killed or cancellation of removal).  To my knowledge none have taken welfare, food stamps etc out of fear as this is Florida.  I don't think that mass deportations are the answer though neither is mass amnesty 

Gee, I never said I was talking about you. We all speak from our own experiences. I can only say what I have experienced, the same as you. I wish you well in your life...wherever you are...

I have read in the news that the illegals don't get free stuff. I cry BS. In the cases (which are hundreds at least) I have seen, the mothers (who are usually left with the kids, and usually 3-6 of them) while dad goes off with some other woman, usually in another state. Or, if he works, it is under the table, so they don't pay taxes because they are not citizens. The mother gets free housing, food, utilities, health care, the kids get everything free at school plus free Christmas, food on Fridays and on and on. The working poor legal folks don't get squat. If they get a raise, benefits are taken away, and the people are worse off. I'm just saying, something is wrong with this lifestyle. We should do more to help the working poor who are citizens here before we spend tons on illegal folks. And I gotta say we need to help the vets more too.

Edited by Love To Teach

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Love To Teach said:

Gee, I never said I was talking about you. We all speak from our own experiences. I can only say what I have experienced, the same as you. I wish you well in your life...wherever you are...

I didn't say you were, I was offering an opinion as that's what we are all about 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Love To Teach said:

I wish it was easier to get him here also. So you think a person should be able to come here and stay without going through all the security check and stuff? i think I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying, for example, people from Mexico should just walk in a stay?

If u want to walk over the border and stay - be my guest! Work ur butt off for 80$/day.

the day I, worry about an illegal immigrant taking my job is the day I re evaluate my life. 

How many overstays committed crimes? Sorry, I would rather get rid of guns

2 hours ago, Love To Teach said:

I think 6 months is too short. They do background checks.  Once u get a visa there should not be an issue, but until then - yes a year to get a visa from certain countries is sufficient. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Love To Teach said:

I have read in the news that the illegals don't get free stuff. I cry BS. In the cases (which are hundreds at least) I have seen, the mothers (who are usually left with the kids, and usually 3-6 of them) while dad goes off with some other woman, usually in another state. Or, if he works, it is under the table, so they don't pay taxes because they are not citizens. The mother gets free housing, food, utilities, health care, the kids get everything free at school plus free Christmas, food on Fridays and on and on. The working poor legal folks don't get squat. If they get a raise, benefits are taken away, and the people are worse off. I'm just saying, something is wrong with this lifestyle. We should do more to help the working poor who are citizens here before we spend tons on illegal folks. And I gotta say we need to help the vets more too.

Who said they don't pay taxes? I know more bartenders that work under the table then illegal immigrants working under the table. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Love To Teach said:

Furthermore, degree or no degree if ur a woman and want a job I need to be above average looking. Not saying u need to be a supermodel, but u need to be decent looking. So I se more discrimination there. 

Evem if we got rid of all the illegal immigrants, the poor ppl will still be poor. 

Find someone's who job u want and ask how they got there. Probably through networking.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Back to the thread's topic, please, folks.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.