bahamamama234

MEGATHREAD- What does a Trump Presidency mean for visas? (merged)

660 posts in this topic

I'm actually married to a LPR. I'm thinking about when to enter US.

Get your immigrant visa now and wait after your second anniversary of date of marriage to enter the US. That way, you will get a 10-year green card instead of a 2-year conditional green card, for which you need to undergo another process to remove conditions to obtain a 10-year green card.

It would mean less expense and less hassle regarding your immigration green card if you enter the US after 2-year marriage anniversary.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Other Country: Iran
Timeline

I'm not sure if no one was ever arrested for terrorist-related activity under the Bush registry for muslims. Thousands got deported using that registry though. (most probably for immigration violations)

Someone who's a muslim who is legally present in the US, hasn't committed any crimes and is not engaged in terrorist activity or anything that can be construed as lending support to terrorist organizations shouldn't have anything to worry about with regards to deportation.

As for behavior by individual Americans towards muslim immigrants, that's a different story. Also, the US government can and may engage in systematic discrimination towards muslims by curtailing visas and making security checks much more difficult to pass.

Regarding your statement on muslim internment camps, I predict civil rights organizations (the ACLU being one) will be chomping at the bit to have a go at the Trump administration if any such proposal comes to fruition.

According to ACLU, no one was ever arrested in connection to terrorism.

Although I am concerned about the public's behavior towards Muslims, my concern was directed at the path down which the government seems to be going. History tells us something like the implementation of internment camps does not happen over night. It builds up over a period of time. It starts with hate speech and is then followed by political action in baby steps.

I consider the public announcement of the Muslim registry and mention of Japanese internment camps a baby step.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

According to ACLU, no one was ever arrested in connection to terrorism.

Although I am concerned about the public's behavior towards Muslims, my concern was directed at the path down which the government seems to be going. History tells us something like the implementation of internment camps does not happen over night. It builds up over a period of time. It starts with hate speech and is then followed by political action in baby steps.

I consider the public announcement of the Muslim registry and mention of Japanese internment camps a baby step.

Japanese internment camps were the direct result of an attack on a US naval base, which prompted the US to declare war on them. Wartime isn't normal. Yes, the internment of Japanese-Americans is a disgrace that the US government has many times over apologized for and admitted was wrong. The internment camps during WW2 had pretty much nothing to do with racism (the Japanese are not a race, they are a nationality) or hate speech. It was an unfortunate turn of events during an extremely chaotic wartime. Not comparable at all to today's situation, in my opinion. And actually, the camps and the anti-Japanese propaganda during WW2 did happen pretty much overnight....'the day that will live in infamy,' aka Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941.

I agree with you that hate speech and the demonization and othering of certain ethnic groups are wrong and unsettling, especially as it seems on the rise and will probably grow under a Trump presidency, but Japanese internment camps have pretty much nothing in common with the affairs of the US today....thankfully.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Other Country: Iran
Timeline

Japanese internment camps were the direct result of an attack on a US naval base, which prompted the US to declare war on them. Wartime isn't normal. Yes, the internment of Japanese-Americans is a disgrace that the US government has many times over apologized for and admitted was wrong. The internment camps during WW2 had pretty much nothing to do with racism (the Japanese are not a race, they are a nationality) or hate speech. It was an unfortunate turn of events during an extremely chaotic wartime. Not comparable at all to today's situation, in my opinion. And actually, the camps and the anti-Japanese propaganda during WW2 did happen pretty much overnight....'the day that will live in infamy,' aka Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941.

I agree with you that hate speech and the demonization and othering of certain ethnic groups are wrong and unsettling, especially as it seems on the rise and will probably grow under a Trump presidency, but Japanese internment camps have pretty much nothing in common with the affairs of the US today....thankfully.

This is wartime. The U.S. is at war with terrorism, which is in a way worse, because terrorism is not as clear-cut and defined as a nation state, like Japan, is.

I respectfully disagree with your comment regarding racism. Perhaps it was not the best choice semantically, but the existence of discrimination against the Japanese is indisputable. Anti-Japanese sentiment was present well before the WW2 and the intensity only worsened with the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I don't doubt that the internment camps happened overnight. My comment was more of a reference to the fact that such extreme actions normally progress from smaller actions and that we should be vigilant and not ignore too many of the smaller, seeming insignificant things like this because they can lead somewhere. For the time being, I agree that it not something likely to happen in the immediate future, but you have to admit that we are much closer to such a thing happening now than we were eight years go.

Regardless it's disturbing that Japanese internment camps were even brought up, by an incoming president's surrogate no less, and as a valid, legal precedent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Note: This is not a hate message.

My spouse is on her two year green card and will have to go through the 10 year green card process starting next year.

My point is this:

Entry into USA (or any country), gaining permanent residence in any country and citizenship in any country is not the unconditional right of anyone.

For instance, I as a USA citizen cannot just simply go to Switzerland, declare my intention to stay there, demand that I be given permanent residency, citizenship, etc.

I cannot do it on my own or by marrying a citizen of Switzerland.

Even if I or another person could obtain permanent residency or citizenship in Switzerland under current rules, Switzerland has the complete right to change the rules at any time.

Sure anyone can complain, join complaint groups, write congressmen, etc., but isn't it a little bit presumptuous to feel that the USA or any country cannot have the rules that it wants and change the rules at any point that it wants?

Again, even as I have a spouse that will be subject to whatever conditions exist in future, it is more than a little bit annoying to citizens of USA and other countries to have intending immigrants feeling that they deserve accommodation by the USA.

And, while I am on this rant, it is also extremely annoying to have newcomers start telling me how our country needs to change many laws and procedures regarding taxes, health care, education, etc., etc., to make the USA more like 'back home.' I hear this all the time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Donald Trump’s Long To-Do List for Day 1

"He has said he also plans on Day 1 to suspend immigration from “terror-prone” countries, and to impose “extreme vetting” on others. "

So there you have it, confirmation that visas from "terror-prone" countries will be suspended. Prepare for huge delays in your visa process starting January 21, 2017. France may even be on the "terror-prone" list considering the widespread publicity around terrorist attacks in France in the past couple years.

Source: New York Times

That is uncertainty at its best now :unsure: My POE is 3 weeks after Trump's first day in the office. I guess he could totally send back people at the border coming with a visa especially if they are from "terror-prone" countries then. With my lack of knowledge in American politic I guess such a thing would be absolutely possible ...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

All this talk of freezing 'terror prone' country immigration, so what happens to those of us with spouses from MENA countries who are already in process and in the country? In theory, I mean. Because this is really scary stuff....we are pending an AOS interview in the next few months :(

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

I would believe that if he and his wife had acknowledged and admitted that she broke immigration law. They haven't. If everyone strictly followed US immigration law, she would have her citizenship revoked if the US goverment bothered to investigate her case. Luckily they don't seem to have much interest in that. And yes, it would be awful if she had it revoked. Nobody deserves that! US immigration law desperately needs reform but not the ludicrous reform that Trump has in mind. Melania Trump's immigration history wouldn't bother me in the least, if Trump wasn't so adamant about cracking down on immigration. What this shows me is the exact opposite of what you claim. It shows me that he has a worrying lack of understanding of the US immigration process AND that he's a hypocrite.

Actually this shows how Trump can/will understand how the tourist visa the HIB Visa the family visa can all be taken advantage of, he will probably have the most understanding of US Immigration then any President before him. We have a business man taking over the USA, not a career politician.

Edited by leroyleviticus

All this talk of freezing 'terror prone' country immigration, so what happens to those of us with spouses from MENA countries who are already in process and in the country? In theory, I mean. Because this is really scary stuff....we are pending an AOS interview in the next few months :(

You'll be fine. What do you expect? Him freezing everything right when he gets in the office? He won't make this his very first priority.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline

You'll be fine. What do you expect? Him freezing everything right when he gets in the office? He won't make this his very first priority.

Considering all his 'day one in office' or 'first 100 days' hype talk, which sometimes includes that in veiled sentiments.....yea, it is in my mind. Or I expect him to possibly do something like that in a few months and maybe we are still pending an interview.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

That man has changed his mind so many times that I feel dizzy and slightly nauseous. I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of his mouth.

Update: This is regarding Trumps latest position on same-sex. I would say good news for those doing K-1 who are same same.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/14/politics/trump-gay-marriage-abortion-supreme-court/index.html

I'm talking about freezing the greencards and a lot of people still need to get their unconditional greencard after their conditional one. I was referring to the moment of freezing the issuance of greencards and those who still need to get their 10y greencard. What's he going to do? Kicking out all of those legal permanent residences because they can't get their greencard renewed? That'd be something. So I was more leaning on to the fact of freezing greencards is not really going to happen.

I really hope that you are right. I'll have to file for ROC next year to get my 10-year green card. While I also think that freezing the issuance of 10-year green cards won't be likely to happen, we don't know anything for sure yet and a lot of controversial things has been said about the future of legal immigration.

K1

05/23/2014: I-129F sent

08/05/2014: I-129F approved

11/25/2014: Interview - approved

11/27/2014: K1 visa received

AOS 

03/03/2015: I-485, I-765 sent

05/13/2015: I-765 approved

05/20/2015: EAD received

06/14/2015: NPIW received (dated 06/11)

09/24/2015: I-485 approved

10/01/2015: Conditional Green Card received

ROC 

07/24/2017: I-751 package sent

07/26/2017: NOA1 date

08/01/2017: NOA1 hardcopy (extension letter) received

Timeline

I really hope that you are right. I'll have to file for ROC next year to get my 10-year green card. While I also think that freezing the issuance of 10-year green cards won't be likely to happen, we don't know anything for sure yet and a lot of controversial things has been said about the future of legal immigration.

Or those who still need even the conditional GC :/

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Get your immigrant visa now and wait after your second anniversary of date of marriage to enter the US. That way, you will get a 10-year green card instead of a 2-year conditional green card, for which you need to undergo another process to remove conditions to obtain a 10-year green card.

It would mean less expense and less hassle regarding your immigration green card if you enter the US after 2-year marriage anniversary.

I was thinking the same thing! Let's just now hope that Trump doesn't do anything about the freeze before that! I hope he doesn't freeze GC's at all! He has said so many different things over the time that it's hard to judge what's going to happen!

One week two days later :pop:

This is still a debate.

:whistle:

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.