AOS Postponement

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Non-contributory post removed~

~Post constructively, or do not post.~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

K-1s aren't a "try before you buy" offer.

The time for deciding whether this is the person you want to be with for the rest of your lives is before you have them uproot their entire existence for you.

If I were in your fiancée's shoes and stumbled upon this thread, there likely wouldn't be a wedding to worry about.

Someone out of status is essentially a non-person in the eyes of the United States. I've lived that, and I do not recommend it. The feeling of always looking over your shoulder, wondering if today will be the day they'll catch up with you. I still have occasional nightmares about it.

If you're sure this is the person you want to be with, and your relationship is genuine, don't hold the sword of Damocles over their head whilst you decide if you're super dooper *absolutely* sure. And if you aren't sure, don't go ahead with it until you are.

That limbo period can be real rough. My husband had almost no cultural shock or change, but not working and worrying about being in the limbo def made him a lot more irritable than normal. Adding in Culture shock can really really really make things worse.

The guy is working over night shifts now, only gets four hours of sleep a night, and says that working all the time, being tired, but having the GC process done is MUCH less stressful than doing nothing and sitting around waiting to hear from paperwork or going out with me worrying that something might happen.

Some people might think that doing nothing is a gift or a vacation, but when in the process of immigration, it can be one of the most stressful times for both parties.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm trying to understand why you didn't get to know her before even sending off the I-129F. As the beneficiary in our own case, I myself am already scared about the time where I cannot work and being stuck in limbo, I already know I'm going to have sleepless nights, and my SO and I want to get that out of the way as soon as we physically can. On top of that, I'm from Canada so it's not like the culture shock is going to be that big for me, but I assume she's from Indonesia given your avatar, and that's a complete change in culture.

If you didn't trust her to the point that you're not willing to sign off the AOS, you shouldn't have filed the I-129F to begin with -- It just doesn't make any sense. Please reconsider your decision, for her sake if anything. It's not like she's coming over for a visit, she's packing her entire life up into a bag and staying with you for the rest of her life, or so she thinks at this rate. If my fiance did that to me and I found out, I'd feel like I'm being punished for something I didn't do, and completely lose trust in him, break up, and go back home.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I was just wondering, would a pre nup agreement be something to consider? In this case instead of postponing the AOS process?

AOS from h2a visa, marriage based.

Filed I 130, I 485, I 131 and I 765 concurrently,

5/11/2018 Priority date; sent to Missouri, MSCxxxxxxxxx

6/15/2018 Biometrics appointment, Houston TX

7/11/2018 RFE for Birth Certificate

7/23/2018 Sent BC in response to RFE

7/31/2018 Confirmation of receipt of the BC

8/3/2018 received courtesy letter for medical 

8/6/2018 Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

9/19/2018 EAD/AP approved

9/20/2018 EAD/AP card in production 

9/24/2018 EAD/AP card is ready to be mailed

9/25/2018 EAD/AP card is mailed, usps tracking included in online update

9/27/2018 EAD/AP card picked up at post office

I-130 for 2 husband's daughters (my step daughters) 10 and 17

5/11/2018 Priority Date; sent to Nebraska Service Center, LINxxxxxxxxx

Waiting game for ALL cases!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Its impossible to know anyone that well. I dont think I need to tell you this. People surprise you regardless of how well you know them. Its a fact of life. If all couples were honest, loving and faithful then nobody would get a divorce. There is nothing wrong with protecting yourself and having an insurance policy.

He should have tried to get to know her better before even getting her out of her own country. There is a HUGE lack of trust coming from OP and a lot of selfishness/self-serving interest. I feel bad for the fiancee.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I was just wondering, would a pre nup agreement be something to consider? In this case instead of postponing the AOS process?

what would a pre-nup do? What's he supposed to put in it "if you scammed me for a GC you're #### out of luck" Pre-nups don't protect someone from being scammed for a GC.

Edited by mimolicious

Timeline

what would a pre-nup do? What's he supposed to put in it "if you scammed me for a GC you're #### out of luck" Pre-nups don't protect someone from being scammed for a GC.

No. I was thinking more of. Of they divorce, she will volunteer to go home to her country. If she signs then she is obligated to do so. Better option than to keep her immigration. Though.

Timeline

Edited by blue_angel_29

I dont think the fiancee will ever be good enough in your eyes and you will alienate her...

And if you put this out here who knows what other plans you may have. This is abuse what you intend to do.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.