600 posts in this topic

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline
2 minutes ago, tianbian123 said:

the website update to June , why May haven't been touched? did you contact them?

Hurricane Matthew came here on October 6th. We were without power for 14 days straight and the phone just started working 2 days ago. I am going to call them when they open the following week. It is so ridiculous that even during a crisis no attempt was ever made.

Filed: Other Timeline
19 minutes ago, rhcurtis said:

Hurricane Matthew came here on October 6th. We were without power for 14 days straight and the phone just started working 2 days ago. I am going to call them when they open the following week. It is so ridiculous that even during a crisis no attempt was ever made.

i am so sorry , best luck to you , and i am sure you will be approved soon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My priority date is May 13th, and we are also still waiting... I have called and submitted an inquiry and was told our case "required additional review." So I have submitted another inquiry... Every time it is answered I submit another and keep calling every 2 weeks... 

Filed: Other Timeline
20 hours ago, harpmi02 said:

My priority date is May 13th, and we are also still waiting... I have called and submitted an inquiry and was told our case "required additional review." So I have submitted another inquiry... Every time it is answered I submit another and keep calling every 2 weeks... 

I saw a girl in NSC was approved,PD is September. I have no idea how they process it

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I've paid the AOS fees & the IV fees. Both fees are still processing. Can I go a head and submit the visa application form & the AOS package after that? do I have to wait for the fees to process in order to submit DS-260??

Thanks

Edited by Ehab2190

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Ehab2190 said:

I've paid the AOS fees & the IV fees. Both fees are still processing. Can I go a head and submit the visa application form & the AOS package after that? do I have to wait for the fees to process in order to submit DS-260??

Thanks

Hi, yes you need to wait until they process. It should take only a few days.

I am at the stage where we have paid those fees and submitted the online form.

The civil docs and financial docs both say N/A so its confusing, but my take on it that they need them all again. we submitted most of them with the I-130 so we need to submit them again.

Currently, the difficulty for us is that my husband needs to travel to Mexico City to get a copy of the federal police reports- we need local, state, and federal. and he will have to fly there. and currently there is no gasoline where he is because of the gas protests.  such difficulties.... my hope is to get him here asap.... anyone know how long it takes them to review the docs once submitted? and how long to get an interview?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

My priority day is May 3th and still waiting!!, in Dic. 29th I summit an inquiry and I just called they didn't have an stray answer and I was told that I have to way 4 weeks before they can do something, Very disappointed!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ehab2190 said:

Thanks

Yes you can submit the civil docs even though the fees are in process and yes you would have to wait until both fees are showing paid before the DS-260 is unlocked.

Edited by MrsBurgz
correction

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline

After our case was approved on December 30th, we received notification on January 9th that the case has been transferred to the Department of State.  We now have a series of questions that we are hoping to get some help with.  Not sure if we should be posting these here or in another section, but here goes:

1) Now that our case has been transferred, do we have a different case number? If so, how can we obtain this?

2) How do we get our invoice number so that we can login to  https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx and pay the fees and fill out any forms required?

3) Do we have to print those forms to mail to the NVC?

4) In addition to those forms, we include our Affidavit of Support, correct? We have two Affidavit's to submit, as my wife (who is petitioning for me) does not earn any income (she is a university student), so her Uncle is acting as our joint sponsor.  My wife has no tax returns to submit as she is 20 years old and has not worked any job since turning 18.  Is this any problem?  She has spoken to the IRS several times and they have stated that as she does not earn anything she does not need to file.

5) How can we declare my income and our joint assets on the Affidavit of Support? I am a successful self employed web developer and due to the nature of my work (all online), my income is not going to stop nor be interrupted once we move to the US.  Therefore we feel it is important to emphasize that my income will continue uninterrupted.

6) We understand that at some stage, we need to provide proof that I have no criminal record in the countries I have lived in.  I have obtained these documents from the three countries I have lived in.  At what stage do we send them?

7) Are there any other documents that we need to send to NVC apart from the printed forms and Affidavit(s) of Support?

8) Finally, on the subject of re-establishing domicile, due to our situation where I am the one working and my wife does not work, our plan has been to return to the US together once my green card is approved, stay in an AirBNB for 2 weeks and then during those 2 weeks, rent a house etc etc etc.  We understand that in most cases, they like that the US citizen goes back ahead of the partner to sort all this out, but that just won't work for us. In lieu of that, my wife completed her voted registration in 2016, voted in the election, opened a bank account in the US, obtained authorization from her university to transfer her bachelors degree to the United States and complete her degree there. Furthermore, we have made arrangements with a local shipping company to ship our belongings to the US, have already made moves to sell both our vehicles and start selling the thigns we will not bring to the US, and have made arrangements with a Pet Travel Agent to fly our 2 cats to the US.  Would all of this be enough to show that we both intend to establish domicile?

Thank you for reading and TIA for any answers.

Zach & Liz.

January 15th 2012: Met my future wife online.

November 12th 2014: Married in Paphos, Cyprus.

April 25th 2016: I-130 mailed to Chicago Lockbox.

May 20th 2016: I-130 returned due to problems with check.

May 23rd 2016: I-130 mailed to relative in California to insert check.

May 25th 2016: I-130 received by relative and forwarded to Chicago lockbox with check.

May 31st 2016: I-130 signed for at Chicago Lockbox via USPS.

June 4th 2016: NOA1 received by Email with May 31st acceptance date.

June 18th 2016: NOA1 hard copy received in mail - case sent to the Nebraska Service Center.

October 18th 2016: Case transferred to Texas Service Center

November 23rd 2016: Contacted State Senator (Marco Rubio) to ask for assistance.

December 19th 2016: Marco Rubios' office replied.

December 30th 2016: NOA2 Received by Email. Case Approved.

January 8th 2017: Case sent to Department of State (NVC)

January 19th 2017: Case Received by NVCNVC case number assigned. Invoice ID number received.

January 20th 2017: DS-261 completed online and AOS fees of $120.00 paid.

January 31st 2017: IV fee of $320.00 paid.

February 22nd 2017: Documents recieved by NVC (FedEx confirmation).

April 28th 2017: NVC case approved. Awaiting Interview Scheduling at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus (9 weeks, 2 days after documents received).

May 3rd 2017: Interview scheduled at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus for June 9th 2017  (5 days after NVC case approved).

June 9th 2017: Embassy Interview. APPROVED! Passport ready for collection in 5 working days! Flights booked! (on flexible tickets).

June 16th 2017: Passport back from US Embassy.  Flying to JFK on June 20th!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, zach21uk said:

After our case was approved on December 30th, we received notification on January 9th that the case has been transferred to the Department of State.  We now have a series of questions that we are hoping to get some help with.  Not sure if we should be posting these here or in another section, but here goes:

1) Now that our case has been transferred, do we have a different case number? If so, how can we obtain this?

2) How do we get our invoice number so that we can login to  https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx and pay the fees and fill out any forms required?

4) In addition to those forms, we include our Affidavit of Support, correct? We have two Affidavit's to submit, as my wife (who is petitioning for me) does not earn any income (she is a university student), so her Uncle is acting as our joint sponsor.  My wife has no tax returns to submit as she is 20 years old and has not worked any job since turning 18.  Is this any problem?  She has spoken to the IRS several times and they have stated that as she does not earn anything she does not need to file.

5) How can we declare my income and our joint assets on the Affidavit of Support? I am a successful self employed web developer and due to the nature of my work (all online), my income is not going to stop nor be interrupted once we move to the US.  Therefore we feel it is important to emphasize that my income will continue uninterrupted.

6) We understand that at some stage, we need to provide proof that I have no criminal record in the countries I have lived in.  I have obtained these documents from the three countries I have lived in.  At what stage do we send them?

7) Are there any other documents that we need to send to NVC apart from the printed forms and Affidavit(s) of Support?

8) Finally, on the subject of re-establishing domicile, due to our situation where I am the one working and my wife does not work, our plan has been to return to the US together once my green card is approved, stay in an AirBNB for 2 weeks and then during those 2 weeks, rent a house etc etc etc.  We understand that in most cases, they like that the US citizen goes back ahead of the partner to sort all this out, but that just won't work for us. In lieu of that, my wife completed her voted registration in 2016, voted in the election, opened a bank account in the US, obtained authorization from her university to transfer her bachelors degree to the United States and complete her degree there. Furthermore, we have made arrangements with a local shipping company to ship our belongings to the US, have already made moves to sell both our vehicles and start selling the thigns we will not bring to the US, and have made arrangements with a Pet Travel Agent to fly our 2 cats to the US.  Would all of this be enough to show that we both intend to establish domicile?

Zach & Liz.

1. u will get a invoice# and case# from NVC, usually it take some time to arrive NVC, when NVC received ur case it also took 2 days to issue the case# and invoice#. call NVC to check if they received. In NVC stage, u need to call them a lot to check information. NVC contact# 603-334-0700 

2. u can't log in to pay if u don't have case# and invoice#. Once u can log in, u pay AOS fee first, then call them to confirm, then when they open IV fee, u can pay it. once u pay both fees, then u can go completed DS-260, then u can send the AOS document and civil document

3. only AOS (affidavit of support) document and civil document need to be printed and mailed, u also can check if ur country can accept email

4. if ur wife didn't have income, just make sure her uncle's income can cover u two, u can refer to: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

5. sorry I am not sure, ha

6. police certificate is part of civil document

7. NVC will send u the "welcome letter", the document list is in the mail

8. sorry I am not sure...again

hope it helps

another thing, on the website, it says NVC stage take up to 6 weeks, but according to recent experience, it will take up to 8-10 week (if u got a checklist, the time will start over again, ouch)

u can visit here, people r nice and willing to help: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/621208-nvc-filers-january-2017/

congrate for the completed USCIS stage!!

N-400 Timeline

2022/03/01: 90 days filing window open

2022/03/20: Filed N-400 online

2022/03/21: Case received, no biometrics required

2022/03/21: Online status change to Case is being Actively Reviewed by USCIS

2022/08/15: Interview was scheduled

2022/09/20: Interview Date

2022/09/20: Citizenship Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
6 hours ago, zach21uk said:

Yes. Your initial case number would have started with a three-letter code indicating the USCIS Processing Center to which it was sent - mine, for example, was LIN, because it went to the LINcoln, Nebraska USCIS Center. Now, your new case number for NVC will also start with a three-letter code, but this one will match the embassy or consulate where your documents will be handled in the end. So, as my wife is in France, that code, for me, is PRS.

You can obtain your code by calling the NVC call center at +1-603-334-0700. They can reference your case using your "old" USCIS Case Number, just press 1 for English and then press 2, and tell the agent that you'd like to know if your case has been entered into the system yet. If it has been, he or she will give you your new NVC case number and...

You'll also get your invoice number from that person over the phone. Before you can pay any fees, you'll need to choose an agent, but you can do that in advance of even receiving your case number:

ADVICE: email AskNVC@state.gov with the following subject line:

{USCIS Case number} - {Name of visa applicant}
And write the following - obviously fill in all the names and DOBs:

NOA Receipt Number: {USCIS CASE NUMBER}
Petitioner’s Full Name:
Petitioner’s Date of Birth:
Beneficiary’s Name:
Beneficiary's Date of Birth:
Beneficiary's relationship to petitioner: Spouse

Declaration of the Choice of Address and Agent for Immigration Visa applicant

To Whom It May Concern: 

My name is {BENEFICIARY NAME}. My USCIS case number is {CASE NUMBER}

I wish to appoint my spouse, {PETITIONER NAME} (Phone: {US PHONE NUMBER}, Email: {PETITIONER EMAIL}), as my agent to receive mail about my application. Mail from the U.S. Department of State concerning my immigrant visa application should be sent to:
{US POSTAL ADDRESS OF PETITIONER}

And any electronic correspondence sent to:

{EMAIL ADDRESS OF PETITIONER}

Please let me know if you need additional information. Thank you for your help. My contact information is provided below:
{BENEFICIARY CONTACT INFORMATION}

Sincerely yours, 

{NAME OF BENEFICIARY}

You will need to print the AOS (form I-864, read more about it here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html) You will also need to include a bunch of paperwork that is listed here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Step_4_Collect_Financial_Documents.html

and here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

YOU CAN MAIL THESE AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE YOUR WELCOME LETTER FROM NVC. But make SURE you have everything exactly as it's requested, and note that you may not need everything. There will be a page in a PDF attached to your welcome email that is called "Document Cover Sheet." It should have a few barcodes on it and a checklist of paperwork. Include this in your packet and make sure you've got all of the applicable documents, but again note that you won't necessarily need all of them. My wife doesn't have any prison or military records, for example. Mail them to:

National Visa Center
Attn: DR
31 Rochester Ave. Suite 100
Portsmouth, NH  03801-2914

Note: it's possible that your consulate or embassy may allow electronic filing of these papers, you can find out about that here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Submit_documents.html

but you can't know for sure until you have your NVC case number AND have verified with the NVC call center agent that you can indeed send those documents electronically.

I can't really answer this as I can only speak to the AOS that I filled out, which was I-864EZ - I have my last three years' worth of W-2s and 1099s and also have a proof of employment letter from my job. But as stated above, whatever your situation with respect to the proper I-864, yes, you will include the original, signed I-864. It also wouldn't hurt to include a letter that you include BELOW the cover letter issued by NVC describing all of this.

As far as I understand, they don't care about your income. But I can't be sure of this.

You'll send them in the packet described above, but ONLY SEND PHOTOCOPIES. You'll also need to have them translated by a translator. I used http://vanantranslation.com/

They weren't amazing, and their work had some grammatical issues, but they were fast and are apparently accepted by NVC.

Everything is listed on the websites I've listed above, and is also listed as a checklist on your welcome email cover sheet.

Zach & Liz.

That sounds like pretty reasonable proof to me, but I can't speak with any authority on that.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For your last question on domicile, it's very dependent on the consulate.  Best to check in the country-specific forum to see how this is determined in your country.  In Canada, I know they're quite strict on domicile and almost never approve it if the sponsor isn't back in the US at the interview stage.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Timeline
3 hours ago, AstroCanada said:

For your last question on domicile, it's very dependent on the consulate.  Best to check in the country-specific forum to see how this is determined in your country.  In Canada, I know they're quite strict on domicile and almost never approve it if the sponsor isn't back in the US at the interview stage.

Hi AstroCanada,

We have checked the section here on VisaJourney for "Cyprus" but it is not particularly active: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Cyprus

Cyprus is a very small country (around 1 million people) so there are clearly not many people applying for Green Cards and even less that make there way to this forum!  There is an "Americans in Cyprus" group on Facebook we will ask in to see if anyone there knows.

Do you possibly know if it might be worth asking the embassy directly?

Thanks

Zach & Liz

May 25th 2016: I-130 received by relative and forwarded to Chicago lockbox with check.

June 18th 2016: NOA1 hard copy received in mail - case sent to the Nebraska Service Center.

November 23rd 2016: Contacted State Senator (Marco Rubio) to ask for assistance.

January 19th 2017: Case Received by NVCNVC case number assigned. Invoice ID number received.

April 28th 2017: NVC case approved. Awaiting Interview Scheduling at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus (9 weeks, 2 days after documents received).

May 3rd 2017: Interview scheduled at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus for June 9th 2017  (5 days after NVC case approved).

June 9th 2017: Embassy Interview. APPROVED! Passport ready for collection in 5 working days! Flights booked! (on flexible tickets).

Timeline

@phillamb168 thank you massively for you hugely detailed response!

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline
12 hours ago, zach21uk said:

Zach & Liz.

You sound like you are in a situation just like mine. I am 23 and my wife is 21. I own a web services company in The Bahamas and some of the services I offer are web design and development. My wife lives with me here in The Bahamas. She is an American citizen but unable to work here in The Bahamas.  We are using a joint sponsor to help us when the time comes. My business is starting to take off and I make enough to provide for us both. But even though my currency is equal to that of the U.S and that I have a job that can be done remotely, it doesn't matter... We have been married for 2 years now and it has been 8 months since she sent in the I-130 petition. However I am not at your stage yet. I can send you a link to a CR1/IR1 visa guide. It tells you everything that you need. I need to understand the domicile thing too. We do plan to move back to the U.S together. We already have things in storage including our vehicle. And at the time we would have filled out the paperwork for a home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.