600 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

@Spencerburgess: thank you for your helpful response. As it turned out, I didn't need a supervisor when I called again, as they told me that finally the application had completed. So that's good news. Yay!

Two other question:

1) How quickly after an interview is a visa granted -- if the visa is granted?

2) What rights to does a permanent resident have to travel in/out of the country?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, ezmiller said:

@Spencerburgess: thank you for your helpful response. As it turned out, I didn't need a supervisor when I called again, as they told me that finally the application had completed. So that's good news. Yay!

Two other question:

1) How quickly after an interview is a visa granted -- if the visa is granted?

2) What rights to does a permanent resident have to travel in/out of the country?

hey @ezmiller! Congrats that you finally got some movement on your case!! :) To answer your questions....

1) This is usually very consulate specific --- but I think for most its within 1-2 weeks. You could check the regional VJ boards and/or check the VJ info sheet about your specific consulate. Perhaps there will be an estimate there.

2) Tricky question, given the current political climate. You have all the same rights (theoretically) as a US citizen to travel and come back. You have after all, been vetted to become a permanent resident and work in the United States. You can basically do everything a citizen does except vote as a GC holder. For travel, the only difference is that a US citizen can never be denied entry (I believe we can be detained) ... but a green card holder can be denied, under very specific, and what used to be rare circumstances. Obviously the recent Trump executive order that targeted specific countries and was interpreted by some border officials to apply to green card holders as well -- has a lot of GC holders very concerned -- regardless of where you are from. As I'm sure you are aware, the Trump ban was ultimately struck down in court... yet out of caution, I know a lot of people who are not planning to travel on their green cards depending on where they were originally from. 

7-26-2016: Married in Washington, DC! 

USCIS Stage

9-15-2016: I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

9-17-2016: USPS delivery confirmation to Chicago lockbox

9-21-2016: NOA1 Email and text received. Case sent to Texas Service Center, priority date 9-19-2016

10-13-2016: NOA2 approval  (10-17-2016: NOA2 Hardcopy received)

10-27-2016: Case sent to NVC

NVC Stage

11-03-2016: Case received by NVC

11-14-2016: NVC case number assigned

11-16-2016: Welcome email received, DS-261 completed online

11-17-2016: AOS bill paid

11-18-2016: DS-261 reviewed over the phone

11-20-2016: IV Fee Invoiced, IV Fee Paid

12-26-2016: Completed DS-260

01-18-2017: Sent AOS and IV package (via electronic processing)

01-27-2017: Checklist received, documents sent back to NVC (via electronic processing)

02-03-2017: Case Complete 

03-08-2017: Interview and APPROVED!

04-21-2017: POE Philadelphia 

Timeline
14 hours ago, Wanda G said:

Its Been over 30 days i haven't heard back from department of state should i email them or wait a few more days?

What stage in the process are you @Wanda G?

Timeline
On 3/2/2017 at 3:34 AM, misshepburn said:

2) Tricky question, given the current political climate. You have all the same rights (theoretically) as a US citizen to travel and come back. You have after all, been vetted to become a permanent resident and work in the United States. You can basically do everything a citizen does except vote as a GC holder. For travel, the only difference is that a US citizen can never be denied entry (I believe we can be detained) ... but a green card holder can be denied, under very specific, and what used to be rare circumstances. Obviously the recent Trump executive order that targeted specific countries and was interpreted by some border officials to apply to green card holders as well -- has a lot of GC holders very concerned -- regardless of where you are from. As I'm sure you are aware, the Trump ban was ultimately struck down in court... yet out of caution, I know a lot of people who are not planning to travel on their green cards depending on where they were originally from. 

@misshepburn is there a place on VisaJourney where there are ongoing discussions regarding the experiences of GC holders? I've been trying to watch the news about people's unofficial experiences with CBP officers. Most of what's out there is anecdotal at this point, but there are a number of stores of CBP officers using the great latitude that they do evidently enjoy to make people's lives hard. What I don't have a sense of is who they are targeting. Perhaps it is random. Still, it would be nice if there were a thread on VisaJourney looking at this, even collecting stats. In fact, that could be an important resource in general.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
11 hours ago, ezmiller said:

@misshepburn is there a place on VisaJourney where there are ongoing discussions regarding the experiences of GC holders? I've been trying to watch the news about people's unofficial experiences with CBP officers. Most of what's out there is anecdotal at this point, but there are a number of stores of CBP officers using the great latitude that they do evidently enjoy to make people's lives hard. What I don't have a sense of is who they are targeting. Perhaps it is random. Still, it would be nice if there were a thread on VisaJourney looking at this, even collecting stats. In fact, that could be an important resource in general.

@ezmiller -- As far as I know there is no dedicated VJ board for these types of stories. Regardless, anything self-reported would be anecdotal and impossible to corroborate on a forum such as VJ. In some ways it might just increase the anxiety people are feeling, I don't know. If you haven't already, I recommend checking sites like ACLU and perhaps refugee assistance NGOs who might have data on this.

Since it doesn't seem like the administration has set clear guidance on this issue, I suspect that who gets checked (and how much extra scrutinty) is random at this point. There were situations where refugees from say, Iraq, with multiple family members arriving on the same flight had 2 or 3 people go through fine and one get detained at the same airport (I think it was JFK) -- granted, this was all during the messy rollout of the now suspended EO. I have also read reports in the Washington Post of a naturalized US citizen (from India originally) who was strip searched at Dulles airport (in Northern VA outside of DC) on an incoming flight. Just these two examples show the apparent irregularity to which any kind of "policy" is being implemented and the wide range of people affected... 

7-26-2016: Married in Washington, DC! 

USCIS Stage

9-15-2016: I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

9-17-2016: USPS delivery confirmation to Chicago lockbox

9-21-2016: NOA1 Email and text received. Case sent to Texas Service Center, priority date 9-19-2016

10-13-2016: NOA2 approval  (10-17-2016: NOA2 Hardcopy received)

10-27-2016: Case sent to NVC

NVC Stage

11-03-2016: Case received by NVC

11-14-2016: NVC case number assigned

11-16-2016: Welcome email received, DS-261 completed online

11-17-2016: AOS bill paid

11-18-2016: DS-261 reviewed over the phone

11-20-2016: IV Fee Invoiced, IV Fee Paid

12-26-2016: Completed DS-260

01-18-2017: Sent AOS and IV package (via electronic processing)

01-27-2017: Checklist received, documents sent back to NVC (via electronic processing)

02-03-2017: Case Complete 

03-08-2017: Interview and APPROVED!

04-21-2017: POE Philadelphia 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Wanda G said:

Ezmiller on Jan 27 Department of State received the I130 and on the letter it said they received it i should wait 30 days if i didn't receive anything in 30 days to email them

@Wanda G If I understand correctly, your petition was approved & sent to NVC, but you still haven't heard from NVC yet?

I would suggest you call them, but also check your e-mail. Sometimes their e-mails might go into your spam folder, so I would suggest checking in there as well. Also try contacting NVC at the below info, and give them your USCIS receipt number, and they'll be able to give you more info.

Phone: +1-(603) 334-0700.

Time: Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight EST, excluding holidays.

The wait time can be long, upwards of 40 - 60 mins, so I would suggest you call early in the morning.

Hope this helps!

2016/05/20: NOA-1 - Petition accepted and sent to Nebraska Service Center... So begins the waiting game :clock:

2016/11/02: NOA-2 - Petition Approved (Had to call to find out, no e-mail or text) :dancing:

2016/11/15: NVC Received

2016/12/08: Sent AOS & IV Packages

2017/03/10: Case Completed :dance:

2017/04/24: Interview Scheduled

Timeline
On 3/4/2017 at 6:49 PM, Wanda G said:

Thanks i will email them! 

@Wanda G E-mailing them might take a while to receive a response, anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. For the fastest responses, you should call them... Also based on from what others have reports, their e-mail replies are usually a generic pre-drafted copy & paste responses.

When you call, you can use either the NVC case #, or your USCIS receipt number (in cases like yours) to help them track your application.

2016/05/20: NOA-1 - Petition accepted and sent to Nebraska Service Center... So begins the waiting game :clock:

2016/11/02: NOA-2 - Petition Approved (Had to call to find out, no e-mail or text) :dancing:

On 3/3/2017 at 5:21 PM, Wanda G said:

Ezmiller on Jan 27 Department of State received the I130 and on the letter it said they received it i should wait 30 days if i didn't receive anything in 30 days to email them

We waited 30 days, didn't hear anything,  then decided to call at about the 35th day.  They gave me the case numbers and IV numbers over the phone. We received the welcome letter the next day in an email.

Filed: Other Timeline

I just called it took over 40 min for them to answer and she said it takes up 6 weeks for them to receive it and then they will send me the welcome letter she said to wait a couple more weeks and it's already been 38 days Do you guys think i should call again and speak to someone else?

10 minutes ago, Wanda G said:

I just called it took over 40 min for them to answer and she said it takes up 6 weeks for them to receive it and then they will send me the welcome letter she said to wait a couple more weeks and it's already been 38 days Do you guys think i should call again and speak to someone else?

Yes

Timeline
13 hours ago, Wanda G said:

Yes, you can ask to speak to a supervisor... As for the wait time, 40 mins is average during evening hours. If you call early in morning (EST time), then you can get through really quickly, usually with in few minutes, & supervisors are also available.

If they tell you that a supervisor isn't available at the moment, then just ask them for a call back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.