artist267

Parental consent to marry my girlfriend in the USA ?

42 posts in this topic

Since everyone already answered the age question, I'm curious. Do you have a job? Do you meet the income requirement? If not, have you talked to anyone who is willing to be a co-sponsor? Lots of things to consider for K1, and then there are the things to consider when getting married too. Hope you know what you're getting yourself into. Good luck in your visa journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

''Parental consent is needed if under 18 years of age. If you are between 16-18 years of age, one of your parents or guardian must be with you and provide written consent.''

She lives in Mass and this apply's to that so im thinking i can mary her if i include her parental premission in the 1-129F.. ?

Get the parental consent. And since she is 17 and a half, and since she lives in Mass., unless she has a good job and makes enough money she may need a sponsor when she files the petition. Be sure to read all requirements and understand the process before she submits the petition to ensure success.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

It seems as she would be the one applying. I don't think she is allowed to sign the form until she is of legal age. I can't find where it says that in the instructions BUT I do know that someone under 18 is not legally allowed to enter into a contract.

Finished!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It seems as she would be the one applying. I don't think she is allowed to sign the form until she is of legal age. I can't find where it says that in the instructions BUT I do know that someone under 18 is not legally allowed to enter into a contract.

One can obtain emancipation and legally enter contracts.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

One can obtain emancipation and legally enter contracts.

A) Too much of a hassle and it feels unnecessary in this case. B) Most states have conditions that needs to be filled for that to happen and I doubt it does in this case. Plus I am sure they can wait.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I see ur girlfriend lives in Boston, you need to be 18 to marry their ( I just looked it up). But I think you can better wait till she turned 18 before you apply. If your case gets approved before; u might not get a visa cus she is to young. I am not an expert, but I think it is good to wait.

It might be true or not.

I was 18 when we started the process and we were approved. I

Anyway, I would make sure to start the process only once she is able to get married, at 18.

Some places are really hung up on age differences in couples as long as one of the partners is under a certain age - can´t remember if it is 16 or 18 though, probably depends on the state.

Since in this case she is the USC, she would have to do the applying for him, right?

Thats what it says for Mass, so it looks like they dont have an age gap rule, but it is something to keep in mind.

The age of consent in Massachusetts is 16.

Section 23 of Chapter 265 of the General Laws of Massachusetts states:

"Whoever unlawfully has sexual intercourse or unnatural sexual intercourse, and abuses a child under sixteen years of age shall... be punished..." MGL 265-23

Section 35A of Chapter 272 states:[85]

"Whoever commits any unnatural and lascivious act with a child under the age of sixteen shall be punished..."

However, Chapter 272, Section 4 sets another age of consent at 18 when the "victim" is "of chaste life" and the perpetrator induces them.

"Whoever induces any person under 18 years of age of chaste life to have unlawful sexual intercourse shall be punished."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

He is an adult, he is 21

Doesn't matter. She is underage.

Some places are really hung up on age differences in couples as long as one of the partners is under a certain age - can´t remember if it is 16 or 18 though, probably depends on the state.

Since in this case she is the USC, she would have to do the applying for him, right?

Thats what it says for Mass, so it looks like they dont have an age gap rule, but it is something to keep in mind.

"Whoever unlawfully has sexual intercourse or unnatural sexual intercourse, and abuses a child under sixteen years of age shall... be punished..." MGL 265-23

"Whoever commits any unnatural and lascivious act with a child under the age of sixteen shall be punished..."

However, Chapter 272, Section 4 sets another age of consent at 18 when the "victim" is "of chaste life" and the perpetrator induces them.

"Whoever induces any person under 18 years of age of chaste life to have unlawful sexual intercourse shall be punished."

The age of consent (allowed to have sex) and the age when you get to marry is usually not the same number. Yes, they are legally allowed to be together but she is too young to marry.

Age of consent for sex is not the same as legally adult. She cannot sign a contract until she is 18. She cannot legally marry without parental consent until she is 18. Waiting 6 months for her to be able to make legal decisions for herself seems to be the best course of action.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

You also must realize that she needs to be considered a legal adult in order to file the K-1 petition as she is the USC. She cannot do that until she is 18. Her parents can give consent to marry, but she can not legally sign the K-1 petition for you to get a K-1 visa. She will need to wait until she is 18. Another thing you might want to look at is the fact you are 21 and she is under 18. In some states, just being together can be considered Statutory Rape--I do not know about MA laws, but you might want to look into it until she becomes 18.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

She can file the I-129F petition before the age of 18. The instructions do not say someone must be 18 to file. It states that someone must have a parent sign for them if they are under 14.

They will need to include parental consent to marry because they have to be legally free to marry in the state they will marry in at the time the petition is filed. OR, they can just wait 6 months and not need parental consent to marry included.

If she does not meet the income requirement, then she will need a co-sponsor later for the foreign fiance's K-1 visa interview abroad.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Who May File Form I-129F?

You may file this petition if you are a U.S. citizen and:
1. You and your fiancé(e):
a. Intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé's admission to United States and you are both free to marry;
b. Have met in person within 2 years before filing this petition
, unless you establish that either:
(1) The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would violate strict and long-established customs of your or
your fiancé(e)'s foreign culture or social practice; or
(2) The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would result in extreme hardship to you.

General Instructions

Each petition must be properly signed and accompanied by the appropriate fee. (See “What is the Filing Fee?” section of
these instructions.) A photocopy of a signed petition or a typewritten name in place of a signature is not acceptable.

If you are under 14 years of age, your parent or legal guardian may sign the petition on your behalf.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

''Parental consent is needed if under 18 years of age. If you are between 16-18 years of age, one of your parents or guardian must be with you and provide written consent.''

She lives in Mass and this apply's to that so im thinking i can mary her if i include her parental premission in the 1-129F.. ?

She lives in Mass, so she is the USC petitioner. She files the I-129F petition, and not you. Yes, she needs parental consent if she cannot wait another 6 months, for some odd reason.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.