75 posts in this topic

There's a 50/50 chance if you go searching for love in an undeveloped county full of beautiful woman that's willing to do anything for a better life for them, and their family-- you'll end up broke, heart broken, and on the edge of a cliff wondering what the hell was i thinking.

Edited by yaizz

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Nothing you mentioned sounds immediately illegal even if it is all pretty indicative of a terrible husband. This isn't to say she may have an avenue of recourse to detach herself from him but still maintain legality. If what she says is true hopefully she can unwind soon. A 65 year old marrying a 35 year old always raises a good digger red flag with me :(

Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

She should get out of that marriage if what she is saying is true. Sounds like for her part she saw the big house and life in America and was willing to be with a much older guy to get that.

Being in a relationship with someone that controlling is really not good though, maybe she needs to swallow her pride and let her family back home know her situation.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

This is what happens sometimes to people who jump into marriages after seeing each other only one time for a short period of time!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

the truth is ..it's very difficult to give advice here. We just heard the other side. We still didn't know the reason of the old guy why he's doing this to her. Maybe he knew right from the start that she will just used him to get a green card. So the old guy doesn't want her to have her own money so she cannot leave him. Anyway there's no physical abuse mentioned. just tell her to talk to her husband tell him she knows exactly what to do if

he will not change the way he treat her.

" The old guy " ? This type of thinking is where the origin of the problem is. Why did she marry this " old guy " ? Why is she here?

She just wants to use him to enter the USA & then be supported. His age cant be a surprise to her now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a family law attorney, though not licensed in Florida. In most states, a prenup can be deemed unenforceable if procured under very one-sided circumstances, or if the terms are extremely unfair. In my state, I would probably be able to get the prenup thrown out. Additionally, the husband could be made to pay spousal support and attorney's fees while the divorce case is pending.

Your friend should see an experienced family law attorney in her area. Depending on circumstances, there are some who may take the case with the expectation that the husband would be ordered to pay attorney's fees. It's also possible that legal aid is available in her area.

I believe your wife is giving you a lot of incorrect information and probably trying to get some money out of you

In another post you posted your wife told it is cost $380 to renew RN licenses in Philippines (That would be 2 months salary nurse pay in Philippines).

My wife has been a RN in Philippines since 2006 and has renewed 2 times.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/537392-philippines-nursing-license-for-cgfns/

lol to renew prc license will cost you less than 500 in PESOS. my wife had just renew her ID last year...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

lol to renew prc license will cost you less than 500 in PESOS. my wife had just renew her ID last year...

Exactly, It cost $10 for everyone, but his wife told him it cost $380.

And now his wife is telling him this horror story about a "Friend".

This is why I don't put much belief in this second hand story......

$380 minus 500 pesos = a lot of extra money to send to her family in the Philippines

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Maybe Im just having a moment but there are things about this story that seem a bit suspicious to me. Classic reason why people are suspicious of this K1process. We only know one side here so lets try not to judge to harsly, but based on facts presented, something seems a bit suspect.

If the marriage is so bad why is she trying to wait until she gets a green card. I think we need to be really careful how we use the term slave here becuase honestly its sounds like a really bad situation but slavery, um not so sure. There is also an extreme age difference here as well as socio-economic status and power dynamics in the relationship that honestly should not be overlooked. That is NOT to say that these things don't happen and can't be overcome but its really a factor. If he had her sign a pre-nup why/how did she sign it was she corcered? If he has nothing what is her issue now.

I would say to her that her safty and well being are first and formost an issue. I would say that she needs to get out of the home, get herself an attorney and get law enforcement involved as needed. If she can't do that because she is focused on her green card or that she may be out some of his money then perhaps her inital intent was suspect to begin with. No amout of money or stauts is worth me being treated unfairly, abused, used or poetentially being life threatning. If she dead a green card or his penion wont matter.

Get out get help and lawyer up!!

She lives in Florida. We live in Ohio.

where in FL.?

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

She is not being treated as a Slave, and please refrain from using that statement.

If she is wanting to get out she can go to a womens shelter and file for divorce.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I believe your wife is giving you a lot of incorrect information and probably trying to get some money out of you

In another post you posted your wife told it is cost $380 to renew RN licenses in Philippines (That would be 2 months salary nurse pay in Philippines).

My wife has been a RN in Philippines since 2006 and has renewed 2 times.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/537392-philippines-nursing-license-for-cgfns/

No that's regarding something totally different. 380 is for her CGFNS here in the states. I wasn't talking about anything of my wife. So not sure where your getting confused. My wife makes alot more than that. It only cost like less than $50 bucks to renew her license, so again, not quite sure what your misreading. Nobody has asked me for money and my wife is not trying to get money out of me. Not sure where yoru getting that from what I am talking about her friend in Florida.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.