djestone

Please help me! My ex-wife used me to get her residency

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

So my wife and I got married in 2012 and we got the approval of her temporary green card in 2013. Out of no where this last week she came to me, said she didn't love me as much as I loved her, packed her stuff, left, filed for divorce and now we are going to the courthouse in a month to dissolve the marriage.

I am heart broken and devastated, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I was being used. She has been shallow and cold with me since she came back from a trip in Europe and talked about how she wanted to move there and teach. She is currently studying so she is really focused on school and always was her main priority.

My question is someone recently told me that she will actually still be able to stay in the country after her green card expires because she can file to immigration claiming our marriage was in good faith. I tried doing some research to find out if they will need to interview me and if I can make my case that I felt used and people are telling me that I actually won't be involved. Is this true? If so, is there anything I can do, contact USCIS or file something to add to our file that I felt used? I am already feeling extremely guilty that she is still able to stay here until summer 2015, but if she can actually in the long run become a citizen just through a year and 10 months of marraige, then how has this policy not been changed!? It seems like it would be too easy for internationals to fake love someone for two years, divorce and not even go through the interview phase after the temporary green card has been issued.

My last question is that I am her sponsor and so are my parents, is there something they can file to remove ourselves from that title? Do we still have any responsibilities for her? Would this help our case against her to stay in the country?

Please, any help is greatly appreciated! I am writing this out of desperation because I just found all of this today, sorry if there are lack of details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Sorry but she does not need your involvement to remove the conditions on her green card. As for the sponsors they agreed to sponsor her so are on the hook for the long term as well. They can not remove themselves from anythng.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

:cry:

I feel really bad every time I read posts about people being used.

If your spouse has a Conditional Green card she could still be able to apply for a waiver because marriage was in good faith.

This link could be helpful http://www.ilw.com/articles/2009,0924-lee.shtm

Hello,

So my wife and I got married in 2012 and we got the approval of her temporary green card in 2013. Out of no where this last week she came to me, said she didn't love me as much as I loved her, packed her stuff, left, filed for divorce and now we are going to the courthouse in a month to dissolve the marriage.

I am heart broken and devastated, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I was being used. She has been shallow and cold with me since she came back from a trip in Europe and talked about how she wanted to move there and teach. She is currently studying so she is really focused on school and always was her main priority.

My question is someone recently told me that she will actually still be able to stay in the country after her green card expires because she can file to immigration claiming our marriage was in good faith. I tried doing some research to find out if they will need to interview me and if I can make my case that I felt used and people are telling me that I actually won't be involved. Is this true? If so, is there anything I can do, contact USCIS or file something to add to our file that I felt used? I am already feeling extremely guilty that she is still able to stay here until summer 2015, but if she can actually in the long run become a citizen just through a year and 10 months of marraige, then how has this policy not been changed!? It seems like it would be too easy for internationals to fake love someone for two years, divorce and not even go through the interview phase after the temporary green card has been issued.

My last question is that I am her sponsor and so are my parents, is there something they can file to remove ourselves from that title? Do we still have any responsibilities for her? Would this help our case against her to stay in the country?

Please, any help is greatly appreciated! I am writing this out of desperation because I just found all of this today, sorry if there are lack of details.

Edited by SweetOpossum

Philippians 4: 6-7. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She will have a 5 year instead of 3 year wait to get US Citizenship. One of the causes that gets you and your family off the hook.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Congo DR
Timeline

Im sorry about your situation ,its so clear that she used you but write a letter to the immigration and explain to them the situation with the her Alien Registration number on it .When it will be time for her to adjust it will affect her ,send as many proves as you can.

I-129F sent:06/06/2014

Package Accepted:06/09/2014

NOA1(EMail & Text):06/12/2014

Hardcopy Received(Mail):06/14/2014

Service Request Submitted:10/30/2014

Alien Registration number changed:11/04/2014

NOA2(Email&Text):12/29/2014

NOA2(Hardcopy Received):12/26/2014

NVC Arrived:1/06/2015

NVC Left:1/21/2015

Sent to the Embassy:1/22/2015

Embassy Received:1/26/2015

Medical Date:01/30/2015

Interview Date :02/18/2015

Visa in Hand:3/11/2015

Marriage Date :04/06/215

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Sorry for your devastation. Perhaps I'm missing something, but if she's seriously mentioning moving to Europe to teach, then I'm not sure she "used" you for residency. Perhaps her words are but smoke and mirrors, but going by that alone, I don't think she necessarily was after the green plastic.

but if she can actually in the long run become a citizen just through a year and 10 months of marraige, then how has this policy not been changed!? It seems like it would be too easy for internationals to fake love someone for two years, divorce and not even go through the interview phase after the temporary green card has been issued.

On I-751 form, USCIS lists primary evidences that are required for an immigrant to provide the proof of good faith marriage. You need to tell us if she has those items of proof.

You need to understand one thing: A judicial body can't come to a decision just on the basis of what you think happened or what your wife claims to be the truth. There is a standard of evidence that is required. Without that standard being met, there will be no decision in favor of anyone. Your wife can file multiple waivers and play the game as long as her money runs out or she gets residency. If you have hard proof that elaborates a pattern of fraudulent behavior, concrete evidence of fraud committed, send it to the local district director of USCIS via certified mail requesting signature confirmation.

Once divorce is settled, make an infopass appointment with USCIS, give them your divorce decree and your complaint that you had already sent to the distrcit director w/ signature copy that you received via mail.

All that is what you can do as far as fraud is concerned.

In regards to I-864, during divorce process wife can waive her rights to sue you for support. However, you will still be liable for Government expenses, if any. I'd try to get this settled during settlement conference. So, try to work this out if you want during divorce.

IMHO I dont see visa fraud but a bad marriage that its finishing because one of the parts arent interested in the another anymore.

I suggest you divorce and close that chapter of your life.

Best regards.

event.png

Nov/28/2017 -- Mailed I- 751 ROC to USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.

Nov/30/2017 -- Package was delivered in USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.                                                                       

Dec/04/2017 --  Fee check cash out.  

Dec/07/2017 --  NOA 1 with December 01/2017 as the date.

Dec/23/2017 --  Biometrics letter dated December 15/2017 and appointment scheduled 01/02/2018 at 10 am. 

Jan/02/2018 --  Biometrics appointment at 10 am.      

Aug/11/2018 --  NOA 18 months extension letter dated Aug/06/2018   from Vermont Service Center.    

Feb/25/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Feb/27/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Jan/30/2019 -- Case Approved. New card is being produced (DHS- USCIS website & USCIS tracker)     

Feb/04/2019 --  Received  letter with Approval notice 1-797 (notice date Jan 30/2019).

Feb/05/2019 -- Green card in hand! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello,

I'm so very sorry this happened to you but if you can cut your losses and your parents and you can afford it I would buy her a one way ticket for the next flight to Europe just make sure you drive her to the airport and she gets on the plane. Good luck to you. Just be nice tell her you understand and that you want to help her, two can play at this game.

Edited by Soloenta

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Filed: Timeline

To me, its clear the marriage just didn't work. No fraud that I can see. I know Americans who've been married less than 2 years, and it didn't work out for them, either. Half of marriages in the US end in divorce, and if she's thinking of moving to Europe, doesn't sound like her goal was getting a green card to stay in the US. I'm sorry you're in this situation but I think you should just get a divorce and let it go. You and any co-sponsor are financially responsible till she's a US citizen, which is a minimum wait of 5 years if you're not married to a US citizen. You signed the affidavit of support contract, so fair is fair. I wish you the best in the future.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you had took time to fill in your time line.,.,.,and tell us all the details as where she is from, what happened, when and where.,.,.,..,.YOU could be helped so much more!

Why the moderators, do not require a timeline filled out before posting..,.,.,if it is just your name and where you are from.,.,and where your loved one, is from and trying to immigrate from.,.,.,would help so much.,,..,even which office would handle your case..,.,TSC, CSC.,.,.,VSC.,.,.,.,it would just tell us so much more.,.,.,.

Is anyone listening??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.