Jane14344

Divorce after citizenship

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I met my US husband 3 years ago, he decided to petition me 4 months after we met. I know it was fast but it was his decision to petition me right away. Of couse I loved him and I thought its him that I want to spend my life with. We were happy together until I decided to bring my children here in US. My children was under k2 visa and right now they are still in conditional green card. After I brought my children here, everything changed, my children would always ask about their dad. Though he loves my children too but it was so hard for me coz the kids are very close to their dad. It also made me realized how important the family that we had with my childrens dad. Anyways to make the story short, i will be applying for citizenship this january and plan to divorce my husband . And then maybe petition my kids dad . I know its going to be complicated or immigration will sctrutinized it but i have all evidence that my first merriage was real and not a sham. Is it better to petition my childrens dad thru spousal visa or k1 visa? How long should i should wait after citizenship before filing the petition?

Thank you in advance

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow... yea like what AnnaMaia and Ian H. said... take their advice into consideration.

Wow... yea like what AnnaMaia and Ian H. said... take their advice into consideration.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow....I don't mean to judge you or your situation, but the way you painted your picture makes it sound as if you had this planned out from the beginning.

Also, what are you going to state to the judge for reason for divorce???

The only reason you give for wanting a divorce is to marry your ex.....

~~moved to effects of major changes from what visa do I need~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm sorry, but this all sounds too convenient. You came here by marrying a USC, you want to divorce after getting your GC, remarry your first husband and then petition for him to come here, it sounds much like immigration fraud.

It doesn't matter that the marriage to your first husband was legit. They will look at why you married him the second time. Even if you genuinely got back together, you will still be heavily scrutinized.

Now, I'm not accusing you of fraud, but that is what it sounds like and that is what USCIS and the CO will see. I don't know you and I don't know your situation, but here is what would happen:

If you do decide to divorce your current husband because you want to marry your ex, you will have to prove with a very great deal of evidence, facts, and I don't know what else, that:

One: You didn't divorce your ex to marry a USC. (Sham divorces are also a very big deal for USCIS)

Two: That you didn't marry your current husband for immigration purposes.

Three: That you didn't marry your ex again for immigration purposes.

There are people that are married, divorce, marry other people, divorce, then marry their ex's. But when immigration is involved, the suspicion of fraud is going to be very very high.

If your plan is to get married for the purposes of bringing your children's dad and not because you genuinely want to get back with him, then don't, just don't. Let one of them petition for him when they are 21 and is a USC.

If you and your current husband aren't working out, then that is another story and something that the two of you would have to deal with.

She was never married to the father of her children.......a Filipino citizen is not legally allowed to divorce their spouse. Hence the fact that she needs to gain her US citizenship, because her current status does not allow her to divorce her husband.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Not accusing you of anything.

Your situation fits a common fraud scenario. Scammer marries US citizen to get to America, then gets green card/US citizenship, then divorce as quickly as possible, and then petition true love from back home.

Hope you can understand why people might think you plan this all along when your fact pattern lines up exactly with this common fraud scenario.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Actually you have a longer wait than you planned. You can't file an I130 if you immigrated based of a 1 or spousal I130 in the last 5 years. Once you hit 5 years they will look closely at your contact with this ex during your supposed bone fide marroage to your USC husband and uncover any hidden relationship that invalidates your original immigration.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I only mentioned her ex because she said her first marriage to the father wasn't a sham, so I assumed she was married.

She was never married to the father of her children.......a Filipino citizen is not legally allowed to divorce their spouse. Hence the fact that she needs to gain her US citizenship, because her current status does not allow her to divorce her husband.

I didn't know Filipino's couldn't get a divorce, and here I thought the US had it bad. NY only added no fault divorce the other day so to speak.

This does not constitute legal advice.

My question is can she get married in the PI to the father of her children after getting a divorce in the US? Doesn't the PI require an annulment of any marriage no matter where it took place, or is she in the clear if she came to the US and got married and then files for divorce and as long as it was not reported to the PI it is like the marriage never took place?

You have to wait 5 years to file for the father of your children. Get divorced now. File for USC in another 2 years based on the 5 year rule and when the time limit on the K-1 or spousal visa is up, go to the PI and get married to the father of your children and file for a spousal visa. Just hope that your current husband does not decide that he really loves these kids and wants to adopt them. Then that adds a custody battle into the whole divorce proceedings.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.