Dieseltu

My wife hates everything here.

95 posts in this topic

Except our air and water. Other then that. She regularily complains that she wants a divorce and wants to go back to China. I'm about to oblige her.... She is not adjusting well. And from reading on here. Our life is pretty decent. She really doesn't have to do anything , Anything she wants I get her. Were holding our own, the neighborhoods nice, quiet, works ok. sex, ok. we just got her combo travel, work card. Even have a Chinatown here. I like her cooking. I love her , really. She don't like anything.

All comments are welcome.

Adjusting takes time, and there is no 'average' or reference time. Some do quick so don't.

My wife is from Poland and the first few months were hard. She never drove in her life and still does not today.

She said she would walk to the shopping area about 2-3 miles. It took one time of the "balmy" Summer we have around in Texas for her to realize that walking like that was not an option, at least not until Winter. So she adjusted, I take her to the shopping area and then wait for her call to pick her up. Other times she goes with neighbors that are nice. She took it upon herself to made a nice garden (front and back), and it's never quite finished; it is always changing something. She likes to cook and cooks every day. SHe also plans ahead and prepares the Xmas tree, lights, the whole shebang...It's like a Dickens novel in here by December. We travel at least twice a year, out of the country. She likes to walk the dogs, 3-4 times a day.

Her picture of the US was just what she had seen in TV; now here, she sees the good the bad and the ugly. Some things still are quite annoying, like not having prices with VAT/taxes included.

It was not all roses, we had our differences of opinion, much less now. The main complaint was "X is this other way in Poland", my answer was "this is not Poland or Europe" followed by "X is done this other way in Poland" with me saying, "perhaps but here is done this way, so you need to decide if you want/need it enough to get with the flow or not getting it". I have traveled a lot and lived in Europe and out of the US for decades, so most of what I have in the house or typically I do is really more European like, and that seems to have helped a lot. She never traveled out of POland, except to East Germany before the reunification and Czech republic. In the past 2 1/2 years since she first came, we've been in 15 countries, several of those in South/Central America and Western Europe, North Africa; that has given her a lot of perspective. WIthin the US, we've been in 6-7 states, several large cities (inclusive some with large Polish presence). All that has given perspective. First Summer she said she had been in 'hot' places. I said, 'this is Texas'..By May she was already saying it's hot...I said, 'it's not hot, hot is in July/August'. In June she couldn't believe how "hot" it could get, I kept saying "hot is in July/August, and this year is actually not that hot". By September she finally came to grips to a TX Summer. Following Summer she was ready.

Today, she is about 75% adjusted, the next 25% will probably take another 5 years. She still gets lost when someone with a more pronounced TX twang talks, but getting better, she goes shopping on her own. She runs away of asking questions, especially if I'm around, so I pretend to go to the other side of the store for something, and then she has to ask a staff for what she needs. Getting better. But nothing different than dropping you in the middle of say Paris and leave you to fend for yourself.

Some of what you say is worrisome, I think you guys need to have a talk to level set expectations Giving carte blanche to anything wanted is not a good idea. It took some time to understand the difference between a want and a need, regardless of the sticker price. Some things are just no-brainers, for example, dental work when a tooth broke, ended up beeing about 2k with other complications that came up, she didn't understand initially that I didn't even think of it, had to be done. In Poland, she had waited sometimes for 2-3 months.

Hope this helps.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Here's my last 15 minutes. I just washed the dinner dishes and got bitched out. I Cleaned the crockpot. I'm not allowed to use dish soap , because its poison. She don't like the way I wash dishes, clean the floor, wash clothes, what Tupperware I use, anything. I'm literally not joking . She wanted to know what I was putting in the food. She came out on the porch to tell me a Tupperware was cracked and I shouldn't of used it. To put the food away. But a few weeks ago I said to trash it and she said no. I was told I'm lazy, dirty and messy. I stepped in a spot of water and will dirty the whole house. I cant figure out how she uses the sink. Half the dishes in each side and if they get mixed she washes them and boils some silverware. The housing thing is about her apartment in China. There's no maintenance , painting, walls or wood, or anything because there's no yards to cut, or wood, or heat, or trees, or underground pipes for water and heat, Or snow to tear things up. So no maintenance. So she don't like the housing here. The weather. Or that we have to drive everywhere. But she liked the indoor heat and hot showers all winter!!

And we are in the city. On a very nice street. But she hates it. But she just figured out that leaving the cities in the States is better. Verses staying in the city centers in China. I don't complain about anything Chinese. I married a Chinese woman. And I like her the way she is. But its not working for her.

Ha..I thought that was just a Russian thing.

Time is key here I think. Like someone mentioned earlier, it takes a long time to adjust. On another forum, several couples mentioned 2 - 3 years in fact. If your love is strong, you can make it work.Be gentle yet firm. Just because she doesn't like the way you do things does not mean you are wrong. Let her know that it is ok to do things the way you do them in this country. Water is cleaner, soaps are approved by strict government oversight, etc. Explain it in terms she will understand and make it understood that it is ok. Compromise on some things of course.

Now, I may take some heat for this next one but it is based on cultural experience with Russia and may be true in China as well...I dunno. Russian women, in general, like a man to be decisive and in control...they do not like weakness. I am not suggesting you be some redneck and treat her like dirt and be mean...NOT AT ALL. Just be a reasonable man who is familiar with his surroundings, his culture and his life and happily introduce her to it....as a team. Respect goes both ways and it sounds like she has little to no respect for you my friend.

Give it time and be patient...and stand on your own two feet too. She may actually appreciate more than you think.

02/28/2014 - I-129f Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center / Я-129F Принято и направляется в сервисный центр Техаса

03/04/2014 - NOA1 Notice Date / NOA1 Уведомление Дата

03/05/2014 - NOA1 Received via Email & Text / NOA1 полученных через электронную почту и текст

03/05/2014 - Check Cashed by TSC / Чек обналичены TSC

03/06/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed / Регистрационный номер иностранца Изменен

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1 Hard Copy / Поступило NOA1 Печатная

10/09/2014 - NOA2 Received via Email & Text / NOA2 редакцию по электронной почте и текста (219 DAYS!!)

10/14/2014 - Received NOA2 Hard Copy / Поступила NOA2 Жесткий диск

10/16/2014 - Case Shipped to NVC / Дело Отгружено NVC

10/23/2014 - Case Received by NVC / Дело Поступило NVC

10/24/2014 - Case Number Assigned by NVC / Номер дела, присвоенный NVC

10/27/2014 - Case Left NVC for Moscow Consulate / Дело Левый NVC для Москва консульства

10/29/2014 - Moscow Consulate Received Case and Changed Status to Ready / Москва Консульство получил случай и изменила статус Готов

11/24/2014 - Medical Exam / Медицинский экзамен

11/26/2014 - K-1 Interview (Approved!!) / K-1 Интервью (утвержденный!!)

event.png

Your wife sounds like mine the first year of our marriage. The US was #######. Things were much better in Kazakhstan. I did not clean the gutters correctly and it almost ended our marriage. She placed her wedding ring on the entrance to the bedroom and was telling me she wanted to go home. I looked on-line and the price of an airline ticket was the same for tomorrow or three weeks from today. I went upstairs and we had a very long heart-to-heart talk where I told her that we had different ideas of how things should be done. That I wanted her in my life because it was better with her than without her. I then asked her if she wanted to stay in the US or leave. She said she would stay for now. I then informed her that I am this close (holding my fingers out and putting them about 1 cm apart) to buying her an airline ticket and sending her home. The next visit to Kazakhstan was 8 months away. During that visit I heard how dirty the city of Almaty was and how terrible the traffic was. Now things are going well, but there are still times when life in the US is not so great, but at least she realizes that life in Almaty is also not so great and it is the person we are with that makes either place tolerable. I hope your wife can come to that realization before throwing away your marriage. You, her, my wife, and myself are not spring chickens and finding that special someone is very hard. She may want to think about that and you may want to bring that up.

I wish you the best and hope it works out for you. All I can say is give it time, but you may have to stand-up for yourself and risk the relationship.

Dave

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~14 posts that did not address the OP have been split off into a separate thread linked below. When posting in this thread, please address the OP's situation in your replies.~~~

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/499172-greeting-each-other-split-topic/

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Most everyone says to wait. But she don't want to. Every 3 or 4 days . It's I want a divorce and I want to go back to China. She has her travel card. I'd like her to go visit. But she don't want to hear it. If we divorce its surely over.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is very interesting reading. My wife came here April 2013, and after our marriage 6-22 13, we filed her EAD/AP .,.all AOS.,.,in about 80 days she had her EAD and could work. I knew she needed to drive, so I "patiently" taught her to drive, she got her learner's permist to rive, good for 6 months. She said she wanted to work, so knowing her field of work, and she had a 4 yr. in Business ADM.,.,.,college of the Visayas, it was not long until she ha a great job with a great company, and great business, and I even have eye and dental care on her insurance for about 7.00 every two weeks.

I did everything in my power to let her know what to expect coming to the USA.,..,.,timelines.,.,,.job prospects, culture.,.,.,.and all I could. I will never forget when she was leaving the airport, and she asked me, "Hon, where is the street lights, and public transportation, as we drove ddown I-26. I almost had to laugh.,.,.,but explained the best I could.

My point is I just think that filipino women are more "Americanized" than some other Asian women. We could not have a better marriage.,.,she works.,.,and is happy.,.then comes home at night and works more on the house.,.,.,as we try to equal out the chores,..,.we some how make a great team.

I will just offer my opinion, as living in a 4-5 room house with a nice bathroom, clean water, and air, would be very nice coming from what I can see she by reading the posts, what she came from. She has no idea how lucky she is. If she would learn to drive, you would see a great ddifference, as she "would gain some independence".,..,.,and I am sure it would help. I honestly, from what I read, do not think she is open minded to trying to change to the new culture.

You can lea a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink!

Except our air and water. Other then that. She regularily complains that she wants a divorce and wants to go back to China. I'm about to oblige her.... She is not adjusting well. And from reading on here. Our life is pretty decent. She really doesn't have to do anything , Anything she wants I get her. Were holding our own, the neighborhoods nice, quiet, works ok. sex, ok. we just got her combo travel, work card. Even have a Chinatown here. I like her cooking. I love her , really. She don't like anything.

All comments are welcome.

If she wants divorce and go back,then where is the problem,let her do that.You can't hold somebody forcefully into relationship.,its a two way process.

By the way i think you must have been very patient man ,who has been going through this for last 1 year.

One year is pretty long time for somebody to adjust here,only if he/she is seriously willing to.

ROC sent (DAY 00) -2/21/2014

ROC received at center (DAY 03) -2/24/2014

NOA received at home (DAY 07) -2/28/2014 (NOA dated 2/24/2014)

BIO received at home (DAY 12) -3/05/2014 (bio appt on 3/20/2014)

BIO appt (early bio) (DAY 12) -3/05/2014

Approval decision date (DAY 89) -5/21/2014

Approval letter received (DAY 91) -5/23/2014

Card received at home (DAY 102)-6/03/2014

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Have you considered a relationship counselor? This is a pshchologist who specializes in this sort of thing. We are not talking cheap. Probably looking at a $1500 retainer, but considering what is on the line, worth it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I hate to say it, but although there's an element of adjustment...some more, some less...there's also quite a bigger element of understanding what you're doing and following through with a decision prior to doing it. The decision, in this particular case, to get married to someone in another country, leave your native and start a new life! Coupled with the fact the amount of work and reasoning that goes into this, a LONG time before...I'm pretty sure there is time to think and prepare for the transition and change. Your wife has a responsibility to take responsibility for her decision...and not only maintain the relationship and marriage, but move it forward.

You're a bigger man than me if you've put up with that kind of abuse and misery for this long, and continue too. And that's what it is my man...abuse. If it was me, she would have been on a plane long ago. I know it could be easier said that done, but I assure you it would have happened once I determined it was the correct move.

What you're doing now is taking responsibility for the entire relationship...trying to figure out how to help her...how to change her mind...how to make her happy. Do your part, which you have been doing and more.

There's ALWAYS a time to think, reason, fix, put in effort, etc. Elimination is not always the answer...very seldom. In this case though, I'll be blunt again: Cut your time and money losses and send her back. Unless there's something else going on your not aware and/or talking about, this will go on and on. You're in the helping and enabling stage and have been...and it probably won't get any better. What you're also doing is inadvertently teaching her she can say and do whatever she wants, when she wants, how she wants. Even if she becomes happier, she knows she's free to treat your like garbage at will...and she will.

She sounds like she has some pretty serious emotional problems too in general too...big change or not...that's a little wild and not even close to reasonable.

Send her back.

krikt yes I lived before in dangerous places and lost places with him, such as Yakutsk,East of Siberia (winter there is 40 minus), Ethiopia and Ciudad del Lest.

And how many of those moves were meant to be permanent, you knowing that you would never, ever go home to live again? I think that makes a big difference. It's a different mindset.

To the original poster, let me tell you something as someone who has lived in three countries other than the U.S.: it sounds like she's not even trying. She has been with you for just about a year, so I think it's time to have a come-to-Jesus chat with her and say something like, "Look, I'm doing everything I can, but I need your help. This won't work if we don't work on things together. It won't work if you don't try. If you aren't willing to try, we need to end this." Maybe if she sees that you are considering divorce as well, she'll make some effort.

Something that other people haven't commented on yet is that she is 45 years old. Moving to a new country at 25 is one thing, but 45? I imagine that's a whole new level of difficulty, particularly since it's an East to West transition. I think either she's just having a really, really hard time and is acting out (rather immaturely IMO, but I am not familiar with Chinese culture), or she honestly and truly wants to go back to China. If that's the case, cut your losses and let her go.

USCIS (Priority date April 1, Approval April 17, no RFEs)

March 28, 2014: I-130 sent via FedEx from Bogotá to Chicago Lockbox

April 1, 2014: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 10:29 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by J. CHYBA (date confirmed by My Case Status)

April 4, 2014: NOA1 e-mail received at 12:17 a.m.; case accepted and routed to CSC for processing. Check cashed.

April 17, 2014: Changed mailing address with USCIS Tier 2 representative. He also confirmed that our case had arrived to the CSC and that our NOA1 date is April 3.

April 18, 2014: NOA2 e-mail received at 12:30 a.m. Case status online changed to post-decision activity; date of "last updated" changed to April 17. Change of address e-mail received at 3 a.m. Status changed back to initial review on e-mail and online. Date of "last updated" now April 18. Called and spoke to two Tier 2 reps; both were useless.

April 21, 2014: Approval confirmed verbally by Tier 2 rep. Order put in to send second NOA2 hard copy to new address. Instructed to ignore online case status.

April 25 or 26, 2014: NOA1 hard copy arrives to old apartment in Bogotá. Priority date actually April 1. (April 3 was the notice date.)

May 16: USCIS change of address e-mail received

May 19: USCIS e-mail received saying a duplicate notice was mailed on this date. Case status now set to "Acceptance."

May 22: NOA2 duplicate hard copy arrives to U.S. address

NVC

April 29, 2014: Case received

​May 22, 2014: Case number and IIN assigned. Asked operator about our move from Colombia to Argentina and received instructions.

May 24, 2014: E-mails about embassy change/address change sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov at 4:36 p.m. NVC time

​June 3, 2014: Payment portal message "This case is in the process of termination" appears. DS-261 appears, submitted. E-mails received from NVC concerning case number and AOS bill.

June 4, 2014: AOS payment invoiced, paid; DS-261 received by NVC

June 6, 2014: AOS payment shows as PAID in payment portal

June 17, 2014: Response received from nvcinquiry@state.gov. "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed."

June 24, 2014: AOS package sent via FedEx overnight shipping from Houston to NVC

June 25, 2014: AOS package delivered at 9:43 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by F.FNU

July 1, 2014: AOS package scanned

July 18, 2014: Checked payment portal and saw: "CASE NUMBER CHANGE: The applicant's case number, [bGT#], has been changed to [bNS#]." Called and confirmed. Also said today marked 30 business days since NVC received DS-261; operator said she would have that reviewed and make IV payment available ASAP.

August 5: E-mail sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov concerning changing our embassy BACK to Bogotá at 6:41 p.m. NVC time

August 6: IV invoice e-mail FINALLY received at 2:13 a.m. NVC time

August 7: IV payment made available on payment portal; paid

August 8: IV payment shows as PAID in payment portal; DS-260 becomes available

August 14: Checklist received; errors on sponsor's I-864 form and on joint sponsor's I-864A

August 15: DS-260 submitted

August 29: Checklist response and IV package sent via FedEx ground from Houston to NVC

September 4: Checklist response and IV package delivered at 11:21 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by GPETERS

September 8: Checklist response and IV package scanned

September 10: DS-260 accepted; false checklist received

September 17: E-mail response received from asknvc@state.gov (30 business days/43 calendar days later): Correspondence under review

September 26: Embassy change approved; new case number assigned

October 30: CASE COMPLETE

Embassy

Interview scheduled: Nov. 10 -- Medical: Nov. 25 -- Interview: Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m. APPROVED! -- Visa in hand: Dec. 5 -- POE: Dec. 29 in Houston

After reading all the shared stories ..I considered myself lucky. Me and My husband met in Kuwait. My USC husband worked in US government in Kuwait and I worked ad a Nurse there

When I finished my contract I went back in the philippines and my husband came to visit me and we got married in mycountry. He's still working in Kuwait so I moved back to kuwait but this time not yo work but to be his wife. At first its like "cook your own food" but after three months I learned how to cook his food thru google. We never had problem. I just stayed at home cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing. .yes im just like a maid for him...but im happy doing that for him. Maybe because I really love my husband. I dont have any complaint to my husband..he's so nice and sweet. And he appreciate everything I am doing for him.seriously we never had problem..but unfortunately he got layed off so he moved back to US and I moved back to the Philippines. .now were just waiting for my visa to be together again. .. its love how we can accept everything..its the person who is with us who makes the place beautiful.

June 2 2013 priority date
december 2013 Rfe
february 2014 sent Rfe
March 2014 approved at USCIS
june 2014 NVC received
march 2 2015 sent aos and iv package
march 8 i emailed nvc request to expedite my case
march 13 approved expedite request
march 17 in transit status in CEAC
march 19 case file at US embassy
march 23 first day of medical at Slec
march 29 personal evaluation...passed!
April 6 immunization
april 13 interview at USEM. under Administrative Processing Reason; Medical result was still not forwarded by SLEC.
After my interview i called SLEC they told me they forwarded it at USEM same day of my interview.
July 29 I emailed SLEC to confirm again when did they forwarded my Medical Result at USEM. They replied...forwarded April 13.
July 30 status update date change FINALLY.
September 2015 went in US embassy to withdraw my passport coz I've waited for how many months and no approval yet. Only to find out my case file has been sitting in the corner ...no one reviewed my medical result. to make the story short, I took medical again for the second time , then after a my medical result released, I have my visa on my hands.

October 28 2015 POE Sam Francisco
November 7, 2015 SSN
December 2015... 10 year green card arrived
December 2015 Driver's license issued..yay! <p>

NATURALIZATION N400 SECTION 319B
January 29,2016 Application for N400 section 319b sent at Phoenix AZ
February 1 Priority date
February 9 NOA
February 23 Biometric done, walk in (March 2 original schedule
February 28 Inline for interview
March 30 interview was scheduled
May 4, 2016 INTERVIEW APPROVED

OP I'm so sorry you and your wife are having to go through this. Yes, I agree it's time for a heart-to-heart quiet talk with no yelling, and maybe a counselor if you both decide you want that. But life is too short to be feeling terribly unhappy and sick all the time; maybe try to give each other a 3-month 'let's try to make it work' trial, if you both agree, and if it's still not working then maybe the best thing is to help her go back to China.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Have you Thought about moving to China?

How important is the relationship to you?

Some people never adjust......

I moved to the US in my early 40s and it was a struggle for a several years. I didn't think I was set in my ways until my "ways" were challenged. Immigration is maybe a younger persons thing.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Most everyone says to wait. But she don't want to. Every 3 or 4 days . It's I want a divorce and I want to go back to China. She has her travel card. I'd like her to go visit. But she don't want to hear it. If we divorce its surely over.

I feel your pain, Dieseltu. You're whole story sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with....thought I was reading about myself. My wife is also Chinese and we're about the same age as you guys. She's doing all the things your wife is doing...all of them.

Having to convince your wife to stay once a week...on top of all the complaining...gets old in a hurry.

If you're interested in talking in DM's...let me know.

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.