SimonBelgium

Building Credit Score - Tips & Tricks

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Updated to include co-signing by USC spouse (or other USCs with good credit)

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

This is so helpful!!! I was looking some info around the forum since in the US they seems to check your credit history to get a phone line!!! ( so different from Spain )

Found your post the first and just what I needed to know. Thanks for helping :)

Ps: I also use transferwise to send some money from Spain to my US account it's a great service!

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Timeline

This is so helpful!!! I was looking some info around the forum since in the US they seems to check your credit history to get a phone line!!! ( so different from Spain )

Found your post the first and just what I needed to know. Thanks for helping :)

Ps: I also use transferwise to send some money from Spain to my US account it's a great service!

Glad I could help... And yes, many things in the US are quite different from what we know in Europe...

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post removed as requested~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Update April 14, 2015, my personal experience at the credit union.

Been in the U.S since July 28 2014 and as of today,I have a 750 credit score,amex with $9500 limit,Cap One $3000,Chase $4000 and Macys $2500.I started out as an auth user of most of my husband's credit cards (amex,discover,cap one,credit one) which gave me a head start of a year of credit history.Discover denied my application because of credit history,lol.I also make sure my credit utilization is below 15% and of course paying on time is a must.I am still piggybacking on all of my husband's cards to increase my limit and improve utilization and he is also on my cards.No personal or car loans in my name yet but hopefully can buy a house next year.

Filed I-130 DCF: May 27, 2014 Here's what happened (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/498046-filed-dcf-today-5-27-2014/ )

I-130 Approved on:June 4,2014

Interview July 18, 2014 (Approved) You can read this ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506247-interview/ )

Got the Visa Packet!! July 23,2014

POE: SEATTLE July 28,2014

--------------------------------------------

GREEN CARD AND SSC STATUS

August 25,2014 Went to SSA to see what's going on with my SSC- SAVE has my middle name together with my first name.

August 28,2014 ELIS went from ACCEPTED TO OPTIMIZED IN PROCESS (INITIAL REVIEW)

September 2 Called local ssa and was told SSC was mailed/Elis says Green CARD production has begun

September 4,2014-received ssc

September 8,2014- green card mailed/closed on elis

September 9,2014- green card received yahooo!!

---------------------------------------------------------

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Mailed Packet: 4/29/2016

NOA1: 5/2/2016

Bio Appt: 6/1/2016

Approval:2/13/2017

Received 10 year green card:2/17/2017

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I started with a $500 Capital one credit card in November 2013. After about two months I opened a Walmart store credit card. Six months after opening my capital one he card, my limit was raised to $2,000. I then applied for a Discover card and given a limit of $1500. About six months later,. I requested higher limit from Capital one, and it was raised again to $3,000. Walmart also raised my limit to $1200, after I requested it. Every three months I would request a higher limit from Capital one and Discover. Walmart then offered to give me a real credit card, but unfortunately this meant they closed my old one, so year's worth of credit history was essentially removed. In July of last year Discover raised my limit to $5,000 and in August I applied for an auto loan from ally. The interest rate was high 8.9%, so I refinanced at a local credit union for 3% in November. In December wells Fargo sent me an application for a credit card with I think 8% APR. I applied and was given a 9,0000 dollar limit, which I thought was good given they rejected my application about 12 months earlier. I was just yesterday approved for a $140,000 mortgage. The main thing for building a good credit score was to pay my credit cards off as soon as possible, use them to make regular purchases and keep requesting to increase my limits when possible. The more credit you have available, the more credit card companies seem willing to raise your limits. And never ever close open credit card accounts, which means you should avoid credit cards with yearly fees, which you might be stuck paying long after you want to quit using them. Personally I think it's a good idea to open accounts in clusters, so your length of credit history will recover faster.

Closing a credit card will not impact your score the way you are stating in your post, after a credit card account is closed it remains in ones credit report for many years.

-AOS sent (I-485 I-130 and I-765) 03/06/15

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

-NOA in the mail 03/20/15

-Biometric letter 03/27/15

-Biometric appointment 04/06/15

Timeline

I started with a $500 Capital one credit card in November 2013. After about two months I opened a Walmart store credit card. Six months after opening my capital one he card, my limit was raised to $2,000. I then applied for a Discover card and given a limit of $1500. About six months later,. I requested higher limit from Capital one, and it was raised again to $3,000. Walmart also raised my limit to $1200, after I requested it. Every three months I would request a higher limit from Capital one and Discover. Walmart then offered to give me a real credit card, but unfortunately this meant they closed my old one, so year's worth of credit history was essentially removed. In July of last year Discover raised my limit to $5,000 and in August I applied for an auto loan from ally. The interest rate was high 8.9%, so I refinanced at a local credit union for 3% in November. In December wells Fargo sent me an application for a credit card with I think 8% APR. I applied and was given a 9,0000 dollar limit, which I thought was good given they rejected my application about 12 months earlier. I was just yesterday approved for a $140,000 mortgage. The main thing for building a good credit score was to pay my credit cards off as soon as possible, use them to make regular purchases and keep requesting to increase my limits when possible. The more credit you have available, the more credit card companies seem willing to raise your limits. And never ever close open credit card accounts, which means you should avoid credit cards with yearly fees, which you might be stuck paying long after you want to quit using them. Personally I think it's a good idea to open accounts in clusters, so your length of credit history will recover faster.

You being approved for a 140000 mortgage dnt depend on your credit score, your credit score might dictate what interest rate you get while your income dictates how much you can afford to lend.

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

Timeline

Closing a credit card will not impact your score the way you are stating in your post, after a credit card account is closed it remains in ones credit report for many years.

This is not what I read so far. Once you close a credit card, it is gone the next month. Only mistakes you make yourself remain on your credit report for years.

Timeline

If anyone has more info, tips, tricks etc, I will update the text above accordingly

Closing an account does not hurt your score like you are saying, it stays on the report for many years. If somebody has subprime cards with high annual fees that they dnt use anymore they can close it without fears.

Also you say that if you dnt use a credit card you are hurting your score, where did you read that ? That is wrong information.

Myfico.com is a great website to learn about credit in general, in their homepage to the top right corner click connect with the community, that is their forum. Anybody wanting to learn about credit in depth should pay them a visit.

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

Timeline

This is not what I read so far. Once you close a credit card, it is gone the next month. Only mistakes you make yourself remain on your credit report for years.

CLOSING CREDIT CARDS

THE FACTS

Closing a CC (credit cards) does not lower your FICO scores in and of itself. When deciding to close a CC there is two important things to consider. In the short-term, closing a CC can have an adverse affect on your UTIL percentage calculations and this in itself can definitely lower your scores. In the long-term, a closed CC in good standing (nothing derogatory reporting) with a $0 balance will generally be deleted from your CRs (credit reports) after 10 years. Once this account is deleted, you lose the history and age and this might lower your scores.

SHORT-TERM

The most important factor to consider when closing CCs is the affect on your cumulative UTIL percentage calculation; this is the total sum of all of your CCs CLs (credit card limits) divided by the sum of their balances.

Utilization Percentages

To fully understand what Utilization percentages are, you must understand FICO scoring has two types of util percentage calculations, one that looks at the extent of utilization on individual revolving accounts (i.e. CCs, overdraft protection and sometimes Helocs) and the other is cumulative and looks at the extent of utilization on all of your revolving accounts.

Example

Card 1: CL 5K, balance 1,000 = 20 percent util

Card 2: CL 3K, balance 800 = 27 percent util

Card 3: CL 2K, balance 1,000 = 50 percent util

The total CL (credit limit) is 10,000 and the total balance is 2,800, so the cumulative UTIL is 28%. Not bad but not ideal.

Let's see what happens if you close one of them.

Close Card 1# and pay off the balance:

Total available credit decreases from 10K to 5K

Cumulative Utilization: 5K CL, balance 1.8K = 36 percent

YIKESGetting worse!

Closed and opened CC TLs are weighed and scored equally by FICO. You will not be punished by simply closing a CC as long as it is in good standing, has a $0 balance and your cumulative Util remains at 1-9 percent. Increasing the CLs (credit limits) on the cards you plan to keep open before you close the card(s) you don't want might be helpful as this too helps to keep your Util percentage low.

Also open and closed accounts age the same. Closing a CC has no affect on average age of accounts or credit history length.

Tidbits (this section is courtesy of moderator, Lel)

- If a closed CC account with a balance continues to report the original credit limit, then both the balance and the CL of the closed account will be used in the utilization calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a zero CL, even if there is a balance on the CC, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a non-zero CL but has a zero balance, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed account reports a CL that is equal to the balance (balance chasing), then this will be included in the calculations. This is the worst-case scenario with regard to utilization.

LONG-TERM

In the long-term, closing a CC in good standing with a $0 balance will generally be deleted from your CR after 10 years. Once this account is deleted, if your length of credit history and/or average age of accounts decreases in the number of years, your scores might drop.

FINAL NOTES

In the short-term, there should be no adverse affect to your FICO scores, average age of accounts, or the length of your credit history, provided there is no increase in your util% calculations after you close any CC(s). In the long-term, a CC in good standing (nothing derogatory reporting) with a $0 balance will generally be deleted from your CRs (credit reports) after 10 years. Once this account is deleted, you lose the history and age of this TL and this might lower your scores.

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Has anyone tested this last piece of advice out here in USA? It would be exciting if it is true. I just came here as an international graduate student, and have decided not to work for the first 6 months. I just got my Oz Amex transferred to USA (with minimal limit of $2000, but better than nothing as a start). I'd be stoked if they fed my Oz account age into the FICO formula as I got the card in 2012! I'll update my findings here once I start to see scores.

Yes, this works. My Amex card is reported on my credit report as having an 8.5 year history, which has really helped my FICO credit score. They didn't transfer my credit limit either, and just gave me the minimum $2000 limit, but they've increased that since.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey guys almost a month ago I opened an account with Bank of America. But now I want to open a bank account in Chase and want to close my Bank of America checking account.

So will closing my Bank Of America checking account hurt me in any way?

Timeline

Hey guys almost a month ago I opened an account with Bank of America. But now I want to open a bank account in Chase and want to close my Bank of America checking account.

So will closing my Bank Of America checking account hurt me in any way?

No, only credit lines are reported

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.