SimonBelgium

Building Credit Score - Tips & Tricks

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline
8 hours ago, jeaniecz said:

Thank you. 

So let me see...how do I do this? I have some savings, so can I just walk into a bank, ask them to open a (debit) bank account and also a credit account?

And, let me turn the question around: Do I actually need a debit account?

Practically:

Go to a bank or Credit Union (CU's usually have better rates) and open a checking account and savings account. You'll typically get a debit card and checks. Use TransferWise (https://transferwise.com/u/b6f15) to transfer money to your new US account. Then use some of that money to get a "secured credit card". They'll take your money, put it in a blocked account, and use it as collateral against the credit they grant you on that credit card. Make sure to use the card monthly, between 1 and 30%, for optimal results.

I also opened a personal loan using the same principle. Secured Loan. You put some of your savings in an account, they block it as collateral against your loan, and you pay off the loan. You're pretty much just paying the bank interest, but it's a great way to build credit. Say you put $5000 in a loan like that, you get $5000 back right away, and as you pay off the loan over the next year or 2, you get your original $5000 back as you pay off the principal.

Yes, get a debit card. Several utilities providers only accept debit, ARCO gas stations only accept debit cards, and so on. If you're near a Target grocery store, and like their offering, you can get a Target RedCard (Debit card) and get 5% off.

Please note, you may not be able to open accounts in the US until you have your US Driver's license (or at least an ID card). So when you arrive stateside, go to your local Social Security Office, and when you have your SSN, go to the DMV to get an ID card (fastest) or schedule a driving test for your driver's license (you should study for that, lots of little things are different from EU). You'll need a state-issued ID card with SSN to open a bank account in most cases, and for sure, to have them report into your credit report (which is based on SSN).

SSN = Social Security Number

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
35 minutes ago, SimonAndKimberly said:

Practically:

Go to a bank or Credit Union (CU's usually have better rates) and open a checking account and savings account. You'll typically get a debit card and checks. Use TransferWise (https://transferwise.com/u/b6f15) to transfer money to your new US account. Then use some of that money to get a "secured credit card". They'll take your money, put it in a blocked account, and use it as collateral against the credit they grant you on that credit card. Make sure to use the card monthly, between 1 and 30%, for optimal results.

I also opened a personal loan using the same principle. Secured Loan. You put some of your savings in an account, they block it as collateral against your loan, and you pay off the loan. You're pretty much just paying the bank interest, but it's a great way to build credit. Say you put $5000 in a loan like that, you get $5000 back right away, and as you pay off the loan over the next year or 2, you get your original $5000 back as you pay off the principal.

Yes, get a debit card. Several utilities providers only accept debit, ARCO gas stations only accept debit cards, and so on. If you're near a Target grocery store, and like their offering, you can get a Target RedCard (Debit card) and get 5% off.

Please note, you may not be able to open accounts in the US until you have your US Driver's license (or at least an ID card). So when you arrive stateside, go to your local Social Security Office, and when you have your SSN, go to the DMV to get an ID card (fastest) or schedule a driving test for your driver's license (you should study for that, lots of little things are different from EU). You'll need a state-issued ID card with SSN to open a bank account in most cases, and for sure, to have them report into your credit report (which is based on SSN).

SSN = Social Security Number

Thank you! 

I didn't know what IDs I need to open a bank account, so it's definitely helpful to hear I need SSN and DL. (I already started researching how to get a DL, because my EU one will not be just turned into an American, unfortunately. So I got the VA manual and have been studying - I must honestly say that I have already driven quite a bit, during my visits in the US- so that I can apply for my theory exam and road skills test ASAP)

Now I'm used to having one (I guess it's an equivalent to a checking account) bank account for everything. From what you are saying I understand I will need several accounts - at least 2, a checking account and a savings account. 

To which of those accounts is the credit card linked? Or does it not matter, as long as I pay my credit balance? What's a typical credit period? 

What do you mean that I should use the credit card between 1 and 30%? So if I have a credit card with a limit of 1000 USD, I should use it monthly to spend maximum of 333 USD?

So opening a Secured Loan (does that mean yet another account? with the same bank where I have my checking and savings accounts? or should I use a different bank?) means the bank lends me money I don't really need, but instead of paying it back right away I spend months (does it matter over which period of time I pay the loan back? Being the kind of person I am, I would love to pay it back ASAP) doing so, I pay them interest for that loan and by doing all this I earn my credit score points? (Wow, what a complicated construction.)

Once I managed to build up a decent credit score, do I need to maintain it? And how? Is using my credit card for my bills and daily groceries etc enough? Or do I need to take those "loans" every now and then? 

I'm sorry for bombing you with questions, but as you can see, I have no idea how it works and am trying to understand. I very much appreciate your help!!!

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Timeline
3 hours ago, jeaniecz said:

Thank you! 

I didn't know what IDs I need to open a bank account, so it's definitely helpful to hear I need SSN and DL. (I already started researching how to get a DL, because my EU one will not be just turned into an American, unfortunately. So I got the VA manual and have been studying - I must honestly say that I have already driven quite a bit, during my visits in the US- so that I can apply for my theory exam and road skills test ASAP)

Now I'm used to having one (I guess it's an equivalent to a checking account) bank account for everything. From what you are saying I understand I will need several accounts - at least 2, a checking account and a savings account. 

To which of those accounts is the credit card linked? Or does it not matter, as long as I pay my credit balance? What's a typical credit period? 

What do you mean that I should use the credit card between 1 and 30%? So if I have a credit card with a limit of 1000 USD, I should use it monthly to spend maximum of 333 USD?

So opening a Secured Loan (does that mean yet another account? with the same bank where I have my checking and savings accounts? or should I use a different bank?) means the bank lends me money I don't really need, but instead of paying it back right away I spend months (does it matter over which period of time I pay the loan back? Being the kind of person I am, I would love to pay it back ASAP) doing so, I pay them interest for that loan and by doing all this I earn my credit score points? (Wow, what a complicated construction.)

Once I managed to build up a decent credit score, do I need to maintain it? And how? Is using my credit card for my bills and daily groceries etc enough? Or do I need to take those "loans" every now and then? 

I'm sorry for bombing you with questions, but as you can see, I have no idea how it works and am trying to understand. I very much appreciate your help!!!

Yes, the US credit system is beyond stupid.

Checking account is the same as a debit account. Typically, there is 0.0% interest on those, so just keep a minimal amount of money on there.

Savings account is where you can get some interest, but you can only transfer money out of it a certain number of times per month (I think it's 5 transfers out)

The minimum you want to keep accounts open, is 6 reporting periods on your credit report. To be safe, that's 8 months after you've opened the loan, so pay it for 9 at least, then you can pay it off.

For credit cards, NEVER close those accounts, especially not your oldest one.

You can pay anything you want on your credit card. Use between 1 and 30%. So if your electricity bill is $100 a month, and they accept credit card payments, use that. 30% of $1000 is $300, by the way.

Over time, you'll want to open more credit lines. If you want to buy a house at some point, you'll need a strong credit history. 

There are lots of small tips and tricks in this thread, so look around and use them as you can.

For some lines of credit (loans, mortgage, etc) you may need prior history to build up to a certain value. e.g. for a car loan, you may need to start with a $10,000 loan before the bank will give you a $25,000 loan for your next car. 

You do not need to stay with the same bank for all your credit lines. Avoid using credit cards linked to a store, unless it comes with a specific benefit to you, such as extra discount, or loyalty credits at that store you are sure to use a lot. Popular good choices are airlines (research which airline one you'd most likely use), and then use that card to get free airmiles, so you can fly back to Europe in Business Class for "free".

You need to keep a clean credit history forever. If you miss a payment or are evicted from your rental home, it stays on your credit file for at least 7 years, and will make your life very hard. But on the other hand, a diligent use of your credit will raise your score, and you'll get very good rates for when you do need credit, e.g. to buy a car or a home. The rates may be so good that it's even cheaper than paying cash (inflation and savings account interest).

You only need one secured loan. After 6-7 months or so, you should see a nice increase in your score. Perhaps you want to buy a new TV or washer/dryer, so use the 0% interest some stores have to buy it. That's another loan on your report that will increase your score over time.

Little formal disclaimer though: I am not a tax advisor nor financial expert, my suggestions here stem from personal research and experience, and should in no shape or form be construed as being applicable to your situation etc etc etc. Seek professional help to get the most accurate information for your personal situation.

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

Not sure whether this has been mentioned in this thread, but figured it might be useful for anyone with an amex.  Once you’ve had the card for 61 days you can triple your credit limit (no hard pull) - just did it recently and it worked a treat.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

Edited by CJKylie

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

90 Day Window Opened.....08/03/17

I-751 Packet Sent................08/04/17

NOA Dated...........................08/07/17

NOA Received......................08/09/17

Check Cashed......................08/09/17

Biometrics Letter Rcvd........08/26/17

Biometrics Appointment......09/07/17

Approval................................08/05/19

Naturalization Timeline

Field Office: Santa Ana, CA

90 Day Window Opened.......08/03/18

N-400 Filed (Online)..............08/03/18

Receipt Notice.......................08/03/18

Biometrics Letter Rcvd..........08/20/18

Biometrics Appointment.......09/07/18

Interview Letter Dated...........07/01/19

Interview Letter Rcvd............07/08/19

Interview................................08/05/19

Oath.......................................08/22/19

• Ontarkie locked and unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Banks in the US have so many ridiculous fees...one thing I would highly recommend especially if sending/receiving money from/to overseas, is to use cryptocurrency. It's alot faster and much cheaper.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 8/7/2019 at 6:50 PM, SimonAndKimberly said:

You'll need a state-issued ID card with SSN to open a bank account in most cases, and for sure, to have them report into your credit report (which is based on SSN).

My fiancee recently informed at her bank (Chase): the bank allows her to get me a credit card (authorised user) without SSN. They told her they will report my credit score to the credit bureaus based on my name and address, not SSN. I certainly hope that is true. Does anybody have similar experience with Chase?

Another question: When I become authorised user, does it make sense for me to get my own credit card as soon as possible? I did some reseach online and would probably go with Discover Secured. Or should I just use the CC I got through my fiancee, wait till my score is decent (how long??) and then get myself an unsecured CC?

Edited by jeaniecz

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Timeline
1 hour ago, jeaniecz said:

My fiancee recently informed at her bank (Chase): the bank allows her to get me a credit card (authorised user) without SSN. They told her they will report my credit score to the credit bureaus based on my name and address, not SSN. I certainly hope that is true. Does anybody have similar experience with Chase?

Another question: When I become authorised user, does it make sense for me to get my own credit card as soon as possible? I did some reseach online and would probably go with Discover Secured. Or should I just use the CC I got through my fiancee, wait till my score is decent (how long??) and then get myself an unsecured CC?

Open your own CC as soon as possible. Then add more cards over time, but do it at a time where you're fairly certain you won't need to open another line of credit for 3-4 months (such as mortgage, car loan, ...). 

If you're planning to get a car, finance it (even if you can pay it in cash), just to get the line of credit on your report. Let it report in for 6-8 months, then you can liquidate it if you like. You don't have to finance the whole purchase amount either, by the way, you likely get a better rate if you put 50% cash down and only finance 50% of the car, for example. I think with "lower" credit, most lenders will give you a break on the rate when you put down more than 30% in cash.

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Dear VJ Members

Greetings, in particular @SimonBelgium, I really want to thank you for your insights on this thread as well as other contributors. Regardless of your disclaimer that you are not a financial expert. Your wealth of experience is highly valuable to some of us.

I will be migrating with my family to US in barely a month from now and i am totally new to credit ratings etc. Regardless this thread have been helpful. Please I will need your opinion on how to go about getting a good credit rating in one year. this is my plan and objectives.

1. I will be staying temporarily with another family for 3 to 6 months in chicago before moving to houston, texas.

2. I will be coming with about $5K to the US.

The question is. 

1.What do i do once i hit the ground running by this I mean after getting my SSN and Driver licence.

2. which type of accounts do I open with bank/credit union.

3. How do i open three to four lines of credit as you suggested in order to get a high score. 

4. How can the credit score i gather after 6 months help me when I want to rent a house in texas?    

5. How do i utilise my $5k in this regards while waiting for me and my wife to get job?

Thanks and I will appreciate your advise and that of other contributors. 

Kingnosa

Timeline
19 hours ago, kingnosa said:

Dear VJ Members

Greetings, in particular @SimonBelgium, I really want to thank you for your insights on this thread as well as other contributors. Regardless of your disclaimer that you are not a financial expert. Your wealth of experience is highly valuable to some of us.

I will be migrating with my family to US in barely a month from now and i am totally new to credit ratings etc. Regardless this thread have been helpful. Please I will need your opinion on how to go about getting a good credit rating in one year. this is my plan and objectives.

1. I will be staying temporarily with another family for 3 to 6 months in chicago before moving to houston, texas.

2. I will be coming with about $5K to the US.

The question is. 

1.What do i do once i hit the ground running by this I mean after getting my SSN and Driver licence.

2. which type of accounts do I open with bank/credit union.

3. How do i open three to four lines of credit as you suggested in order to get a high score. 

4. How can the credit score i gather after 6 months help me when I want to rent a house in texas?    

5. How do i utilise my $5k in this regards while waiting for me and my wife to get job?

Thanks and I will appreciate your advise and that of other contributors. 

Kingnosa

Getting your SSN and Driver's license may take a few weeks, so keep a close eye out so you know what to do when and where. I think you can go to the Social Security Office in your area with the stamped I-551 in your passport within 48h after arrival, to apply for SSN. Once you have that, you can get your driver's license (study for the test!), but you can also get an ID card, which may be faster (I did that). Once you have that, open a bank account and get a secured credit card. Whichever $ amount you can spare, $500 or so is enough if need be.

That would be your first line of credit.

You can also get a secured personal loan. For instance, deposit $2,000, and you get a $2,000 loan against it. You basically get your money back right away, but you pay off the secured deposit. You need to keep that loan for at least a year to be safe. So you could make it 12 installments or more, doesn't matter. That's your 2nd line of credit pretty much right away.

Usually, after a few months, you'll start to get pre-approval letters in the mail. Be selective, but it's OK to get a card with some benefits you'd actually use regularly. Don't open too many! 

A recent change allows you to report other types of revolving credit as well. Mostly utility bills or rent. They have to be in your name though!

If you're buying a car, it can be tough with no credit history. My local credit union did finance my first car here, but being able to go in and talk to an actual person to explain your situation, helps a lot. Big bank lenders won't touch you without a decent credit report.

To rent a place, they basically want to see your credit history is clean. No late payments, bankruptcy etc. Often, landlords want to see high credit scores, but an extra month's rent as a security deposit usually helps. If you go to an apartment complex, they are usually easier to work with, compared to individual landlords renting out a house.

$5,000 is NOT a lot of money. As soon as you have an SSN, go find a small job locally. The $5K will likely be barely enough to get your rent sorted once you move. So save up, because you'll need a car, insurance for car and house, rent, security deposits (also with little credit history, utility companies may ask for a security deposit), health insurance, food, gas, moving to Houston, etc... When you have a job, usually after 2 paychecks, you can use that to show income, which can help you with loan applications and rental applications.

Don't forget to file your change of address when you do move out of your friend's place.

You can transfer money from your foreign account into your new US account using Transferwise, link is in my signature below.

Don't forget to keep credit card utilization below 30% of available credit, but ideally between 1 and 10%.

In short, 2 lines of credit can happen quick. Whenever you buy a car, finance at least part of it and make sure the lender reports into the credit bureaus (Some of the "No credit, bad credit, everyone is approved" places don't report loans). 

When the pre-approvals come in, pick one that will give you a benefit you use often, for example Costco if you shop there regularly. PayPal is actually a pretty good one to get as well (PayPal Credit and/or PayPal MasterCard), but again, wait a few months.

Use CreditKarma to start tracking your credit score. It will appear high pretty much right away, but it will drop once you get real credit on there. Over time, it will go back up to over 700.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, since moving to the US I have not opened a credit card and I have what I believe is "ghost credit" as I do not have any credit yet. 

1- My plan is to get a credit card soon and spend less than 30% of the allowance on it monthly and make timely payments, by doing this what will my credit score start at and how quickly will my credit score increase each month roughly?

2.1- Additionally, is it wise to be added as an authorized user on my wife's credit card will this help increase my credit score at a quicker rate. 

2.2- When adding an authorized user does it ask in the process if the additional user is either a USC or permanent resident, as I note it asks this in a credit card application. 

Hopefully we are able to purchase a home next year, I want to use this upcoming year on building a good credit score.

Edited by Stark44

Timeline
23 hours ago, Stark44 said:

Hi all, since moving to the US I have not opened a credit card and I have what I believe is "ghost credit" as I do not have any credit yet. 

1- My plan is to get a credit card soon and spend less than 30% of the allowance on it monthly and make timely payments, by doing this what will my credit score start at and how quickly will my credit score increase each month roughly?

2.1- Additionally, is it wise to be added as an authorized user on my wife's credit card will this help increase my credit score at a quicker rate. 

2.2- When adding an authorized user does it ask in the process if the additional user is either a USC or permanent resident, as I note it asks this in a credit card application. 

Hopefully we are able to purchase a home next year, I want to use this upcoming year on building a good credit score.

1. Do it today, and open more than 1 if you can. Try opening up another line of credit as well, if possible. You need a diverse spread of lines of credit

2.1 There are rumors this will change, but I believe it's still a good option today, so do it now.

2.2 Depends on the financial institution I suppose. You should be fine if you're an LPR.

With just one year of credit history, buying a home could be an issue. But as you'd be buying with your spouse, her credit history will help out a lot for the "age of credit".

On 3/10/2020 at 6:31 PM, Stark44 said:

1. Varies

2. Yes, if she has more than one get added to those too. The older the cards the better, as it will affect your average age of credit. I’ve only been in the US for 5 years, but have a 10 year old card on my report which helps a lot

3. I’ve never been asked for this, just name, address and SS #

Side note, if you had an Amex in your home country, you can use their global transfer service to open an account in the US and they will take into account your history with them 

Edited by CJKylie

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

90 Day Window Opened.....08/03/17

I-751 Packet Sent................08/04/17

NOA Dated...........................08/07/17

NOA Received......................08/09/17

Check Cashed......................08/09/17

Biometrics Letter Rcvd........08/26/17

Biometrics Appointment......09/07/17

Naturalization Timeline

Field Office: Santa Ana, CA

90 Day Window Opened.......08/03/18

N-400 Filed (Online)..............08/03/18

Receipt Notice.......................08/03/18

Biometrics Letter Rcvd..........08/20/18

Biometrics Appointment.......09/07/18

Interview Letter Dated...........07/01/19

Interview Letter Rcvd............07/08/19

Interview................................08/05/19

Oath.......................................08/22/19

On 3/16/2020 at 12:46 PM, CJKylie said:

1. Varies

2. Yes, if she has more than one get added to those too. The older the cards the better, as it will affect your average age of credit. I’ve only been in the US for 5 years, but have a 10 year old card on my report which helps a lot

3. I’ve never been asked for this, just name, address and SS #

Side note, if you had an Amex in your home country, you can use their global transfer service to open an account in the US and they will take into account your history with them 

Is there an expected ballpark range of what your credit score may look like after 6 months?  If you spend under 50% of your card allowance and pay it back immediately before your statement is due does this help build your credit score quicker ..is it the higher the spend and then paying it back immediately on the credit card that builds credit or is it more so having consecutives months of paying back on time that improves your credit score?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.