frankLarissa

stepdaughter will not arrive unless we allow boyfriend to arrive

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You can't just simply bring her boyfriend here, there are no visas for step daughters boyfriends. If he wants to come here he has to apply for a student visa on his own. End of story.

I need some direction on this moral issue please....my wife and I recently married and applied for I 485. Originally her daughter was to go to college in Moscow for three years. we were to pay 500 per month for her schooling. now because of new laws for out of country students studying in Russia, (they must leave every three months) it is difficult for her to school there. And my wife misses her daughter so she wants daughter here. She is age 17 and this is not a problem for me, we have the extra bedroom and college is walking distance away. But daughter will not arrive unless we provide for her 18 year old boyfriend to arrive a year later, at which time he would go to college also. I don't wish for my new family to be responsible for the boyfriend. At age 58, I think I am too old for this added responsibility. or is this greed on my part? please comment. thank you.

To all that has been already said:

Your obligation is to provide for spouse. A 17 yr old is more or lees in the fence (almost and adult). There is ZERO obligation to care for a BF. What's next ? the BF mom because now he's nostalgic and needs mommy??

If by some miracle he gets a student visa, it's up to him to find his funding.

I've notice that there was no mention of what would he would be studying, or whether he's even qualified for college. Same applies for daughter of course.

Not saying they have no basic education, but you don't just bring up the desire to go to college and it magically happens; there is an admission process, that takes months, years for an international student -right now, it is barely on time for 2015 Fall admittance and that is not accounting for the visa requirements.

I need some direction on this moral issue please....my wife and I recently married and applied for I 485. Originally her daughter was to go to college in Moscow for three years. we were to pay 500 per month for her schooling. now because of new laws for out of country students studying in Russia, (they must leave every three months) it is difficult for her to school there. And my wife misses her daughter so she wants daughter here. She is age 17 and this is not a problem for me, we have the extra bedroom and college is walking distance away. But daughter will not arrive unless we provide for her 18 year old boyfriend to arrive a year later, at which time he would go to college also. I don't wish for my new family to be responsible for the boyfriend. At age 58, I think I am too old for this added responsibility. or is this greed on my part? please comment. thank you.

To all that has been already said:

Your obligation is to provide for spouse. A 17 yr old is more or lees in the fence (almost and adult). There is ZERO obligation to care for a BF. What's next ? the BF mom because now he's nostalgic and needs mommy??

If by some miracle he gets a student visa, it's up to him to find his funding.

I've notice that there was no mention of what would he would be studying, or whether he's even qualified for college. Same applies for daughter of course.

Not saying they have no basic education, but you don't just bring up the desire to go to college and it magically happens; there is an admission process, that takes months, years for an international student -right now, it is barely on time for 2015 Fall admittance and that is not accounting for the visa requirements.

Filed: Country: Peru
Timeline

I sponsored my estranged wife and her minor daughter. No matter how much pressure the daughter and your wife put on you, I don't believe that there is a visa category where you could sponsor him in any way, since he is not a blood relative.

throw it back on him, saying that you have looked into it and there is not way for your to do it. Let him apply for a Tourist Visa himself. Also, no matter how much they pressure you, you cannot apply for his tourist visa for him...it's all on him.

Best,

USAmale

Just so you know. A student visa from Kazakhstan is very easy to obtain and does not require more than about a month IF there is a sponsor in the US for all finances. All you have to show is that you have applied and been accepted to a college in the US. So the idea that the BF might or will not or have a hard time is not correct in this instance--assuming he can find a college that accepts him, but how hard it that as most colleges only seem to care about money these days. That might be why the step-daughter and wife are acting the way they are as they have researched this and KNOW that the bf will not have much of a problem getting a student visa if the OP sponsors the BF financially.

I do not know the consequences saying you will sponsor the BF, but I do know the consequences of not standing up to the wife. Since she did come over here with you without the daughter, she was willing to let the daughter live on her own in Kazakhstan most likely with relatives. You must understand that the Kazakhs are very family oriented and now for some reason some member of the family has made your wife realize that she MUST take care of this situation. Now it is up to you to tell the wife HOW this will unfold. YOU MUST BE STRONG. YOU MUST STICK BY YOUR PRINCIPLES. TELL the wife how it will be and then let HER decide how SHE will proceed in regards to this situation with the daughter. To do otherwise jeopardizes your marriage. As I stated before, your wife picked you because you will not get drunk and beat her like most Kazakh men do. The fact that you make good money is another plus. Coming to the US may or may not be a good thing, but she decided to do so. The US is not perfect--far from it. There are many things that are better in Kazakhstan. If I could find a good paying job in my field in Kazakhstan, I would seriously think about moving there. My wife has been here three years now and she is seeing that the US is not that bad after all, but it took me standing up to her and telling her that if she ever says she is going home she WILL be on the next plane home.

Sorry for the length, but I just wanted to let the OP know that the BF can easily get a student visa should the OP decide to provide financial support. I would check into this as I do not know what this means. I never looked into it because my then GF did not come to the US on the student visa and I could of cared less about the consequences (I signed the I-864 four years latergood.gif ) . So think this thru as it would appear the BF and step-daughter, and you wife have already researched this.

Good Luck,

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just so you know. A student visa from Kazakhstan is very easy to obtain and does not require more than about a month IF there is a sponsor in the US for all finances. All you have to show is that you have applied and been accepted to a college in the US. So the idea that the BF might or will not or have a hard time is not correct in this instance--assuming he can find a college that accepts him, but how hard it that as most colleges only seem to care about money these days. That might be why the step-daughter and wife are acting the way they are as they have researched this and KNOW that the bf will not have much of a problem getting a student visa if the OP sponsors the BF financially.

I do not know the consequences saying you will sponsor the BF, but I do know the consequences of not standing up to the wife. Since she did come over here with you without the daughter, she was willing to let the daughter live on her own in Kazakhstan most likely with relatives. You must understand that the Kazakhs are very family oriented and now for some reason some member of the family has made your wife realize that she MUST take care of this situation. Now it is up to you to tell the wife HOW this will unfold. YOU MUST BE STRONG. YOU MUST STICK BY YOUR PRINCIPLES. TELL the wife how it will be and then let HER decide how SHE will proceed in regards to this situation with the daughter. To do otherwise jeopardizes your marriage. As I stated before, your wife picked you because you will not get drunk and beat her like most Kazakh men do. The fact that you make good money is another plus. Coming to the US may or may not be a good thing, but she decided to do so. The US is not perfect--far from it. There are many things that are better in Kazakhstan. If I could find a good paying job in my field in Kazakhstan, I would seriously think about moving there. My wife has been here three years now and she is seeing that the US is not that bad after all, but it took me standing up to her and telling her that if she ever says she is going home she WILL be on the next plane home.

Sorry for the length, but I just wanted to let the OP know that the BF can easily get a student visa should the OP decide to provide financial support. I would check into this as I do not know what this means. I never looked into it because my then GF did not come to the US on the student visa and I could of cared less about the consequences (I signed the I-864 four years latergood.gif ) . So think this thru as it would appear the BF and step-daughter, and you wife have already researched this.

Good Luck,

Dave

So why is Kazakhstan so different when it comes to Student Visa's?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

No, see, no. There's no different, official set of rules for different countries (few exceptions). However, there is still absolutely no reason for him to; a. get on the hook for yet another immigrant b. pay very expensive US tuition for a guy who's probably a stranger to him.

So why is Kazakhstan so different when it comes to Student Visa's?

No, see, no. There's no different, official set of rules for different countries (few exceptions). However, there is still absolutely no reason for him to; a. get on the hook for yet another immigrant b. pay very expensive US tuition for a guy who's probably a stranger to him.

That maybe, but I am just telling about MY experience with a student visa from the Consulate in Almaty. It was very easy to obtain and did not take that long. I agree that the OP should not do this, but I want him to be aware that the BF, Daughter, and his wife may have already researched this and if they can get him to sign up to sponsor the BF then he can get to the US on a student visa.

I will say that my then GF was in her late thirties and not twentyish like the BF. THAT may have aided in the ease of obtaining the student visa. I have seem several people my wife knew when she worked at a local college granted student visas to the US and other foreign countries. Just throwing this out there for the OP so that he can plan his course of action accordingly.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

One day their graduation will come and they will be thanking you for helping them. If not you, who else will be their hero?

Don't try to be hero for one woman you live with her under one month in one home.

Let she goes to her country. A man can be hero after knows the person ( woman) has deserve for it. By my information about this kind people. this lady ( your wife) just is a abuse person. under one month she wants big things like this. just image after 1 year what she will want. Let she goes back the place she belong there. Don't let she and her daughter make your life a big Drama, Don't Filled out AOS too . Just give divorce to her also buy a ticket one way for her./don't waste time.

Timeline

You said your GF did not come to the US on a F1, which is it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Getting a student Visa is not the problem, but supporting 3 souls.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

That maybe, but I am just telling about MY experience with a student visa from the Consulate in Almaty. It was very easy to obtain and did not take that long. I agree that the OP should not do this, but I want him to be aware that the BF, Daughter, and his wife may have already researched this and if they can get him to sign up to sponsor the BF then he can get to the US on a student visa.

I will say that my then GF was in her late thirties and not twentyish like the BF. THAT may have aided in the ease of obtaining the student visa. I have seem several people my wife knew when she worked at a local college granted student visas to the US and other foreign countries. Just throwing this out there for the OP so that he can plan his course of action accordingly.

Dave

Anecdotes are not evidence.

But, let's say BF, daughter and wife are researching this. Wife being so emotionally invested in her 17 year old's daughter's relationship is bizarre, especially knowing daughter has better chances stateside. I don't want to think it's that daughter's boyfriend actually has something going on with wife, but that's my gut reaction.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

But, let's say BF, daughter and wife are researching this. Wife being so emotionally invested in her 17 year old's daughter's relationship is bizarre, especially knowing daughter has better chances stateside. I don't want to think it's that daughter's boyfriend actually has something going on with wife, but that's my gut reaction.

Does the BF have any military obligation? Perhaps they are looking for a way for him to avoid this?

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

Menage a trois, Well who knows?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.