Maleman

B2 Visa Denied - Philippines

40 posts in this topic

With my wife and I having endured the K-1 Visa process, all the way to a 10 Year Green Card, you might think that the Visa Process would not surprise me. However, yesterday my Mother-in-law and Sister-in-law went to the Embassy for their B2 interview. Both of them were interviewed at the same time with the consultant officer. Each of them had a number of documents to be shown as evidence. Yet, during the interview my sister-in-law was asked three basic questions; reason you are visiting the US, who will pay for your expenditures, and where is your husband. My mother-in-law was not asked one question, and not once did the consult inquire as to any document either of them had in hand, with the exception of viewing their passports. It is not a prejudice opinion in any fashion when I say, that these two persons are some of the best exemplary examples of upstanding law abiding citizens that I have witnessed in a long time.

First of all, I will never be convinced that someone could look at a form 160 and make an intelligent decision on a person’s “ties to their country.” And as it pertains to a B2 visa, it would seem that not much information is known about the evaluation making process. All I can say with all my experiences with the immigration process, I along with my wife, were totally stunned when we received the information that that my mother-in-law had been denied a chance to visit her new grandchild. I would greatly appreciate any insight that someone could share regarding this matter. I believe that it inconceivable that these family members received a proper evaluation for a B2 Visa at the Philippine US Embassy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Actually the DS-160 has enough information on it. My girlfriend now fiancé was denied in Israel for lack of ties to either Philippine or Israel. She's been living in Israel almost 10 years on working visas. She didn't have proof of high equity such as a home and proof of high salary. It was really hard for her to accept but after thinking about it, it does make sense. She could easily just bail on her current job in Israel and live in the states. Heck even Starbucks and McDonalds would have paid more. It sucks however, I do understand where they are coming from. We were going to visit my family but just decided to get the fiancé visa since I got moved to Ireland.

Anyway, I need more input to these questions.

What was her response to reason for visiting the US?

What were the answers for who would pay for the expenditures? Did she show bank statements with proof of enough money for the amount of time she was going? Did she also have a letter from her current employer saying she will have her job after the trip?

Also, does she speak English fluently?

As for mother-in-law being denied a chance to visit her new grandchild she's actually not. You're allowed with your spouse to fly to the Philippines. And what christen said above, it's extremely high risk that they never go back.

Edited by watdog

Filled AOS/AP/EAD: 2014-04-09

Biometrics: 2014-05-08

AOS approved for interview: 2014-06-24

AOS Interview: 2014-07-30, Approved.

GC received: 2014-08-11
ROC Sent: 2016-04-29

ROC packet received at California Service Center: 05-02-16

NOA1 (Received 05-13-16): Letter dated 05-02-16
ROC Biometrics: 2016-06-02

Filed for Re-entry permit: 2016-06-03

Re-entry permit biometrics: 2016-07-14

Re-entry permit approved: 2016-12-07
Re-entry permit received: 2016-12-10, Only got 6 month re-entry permit????
ROC Approved: 2017-02-09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The fact is unless they have strong ties to their country, they will not get a b2. Just because they are law abiding citizens is not proof enough that they will return home. Look at it through the eyes of the CONSULATE officer, what do they have that will guarantee they will go home? Do they own a home? Do they have good jobs? Blame it in others who have gone before them who abused the system, not on the government. They want to ensure no one comes to the US and tries to stay. It isn't personal, they have a job to do.

Like some I have been around the “immigration” stuff for some time now. I agree with everything that was said within this post, by everyone that submitted input. We are aware of persons, more specifically, grandmothers that had almost an identical set of “ties” criterion that my mother-in-law had, yet, they were given a Visa. The facts that were pointed out within this post are particulars that most people submit as reasoning or read about every day on VJ or an embassy WEB site. I believe that there is a more definite set of logic, outside of the obvious things that are often spoken about, that only the CO’s are privy. The real problem is that once you are denied you will never receive a specific reason as to why you were rejected. Outside of the obvious facts, I believe it largely depends on day-to-to, CO-to-CO. Unfortunately, once you have been denied you will carry this “flag” for a long time if not for ever as it pertains to a B2 Visa. Thanks for all of your input and hopefully more persons will chime in on this post.

Filed: Timeline

Sorry, it is doubtful that your MIL was not asked a single question....often when someone is refused, they retell the story of the interview in such a way as to cast a poor light on the CO...in real life, every applicant is asked questions....you weren't physically present at the interview.

Second, for how long did they say they planned to stay? If one of them answered something like..'as long as you will let me', well, that's not good. If they said '6 months', while that time might jive with your MIL's situation, it is not likely to be credible for the SIL (assuming she any sort of meaningful employment)...also, if asked why they wished to visit, if there was a hint of providing child care, that would do it as well.

And, as others have said, persistent visa abuse by those from the Philippines is what has caused this problem...not the CO, not our laws, but rather those who have chosen to put themselves above the law.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obviously something that comes up here frequently.

Most cases I have seen it is fairly obvious why they obtained or were refused a visa.

There are some which make you wonder, but then nobody here has access to all the information.

I think that main problem is so many here without status came here on Visitor Visa's and did not leave. The chances of being found and deported are pretty slim and whilst that stays the same, well they are not going to be issuing visa's.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sorry, it is doubtful that your MIL was not asked a single question....often when someone is refused, they retell the story of the interview in such a way as to cast a poor light on the CO...in real life, every applicant is asked questions....you weren't physically present at the interview.

Second, for how long did they say they planned to stay? If one of them answered something like..'as long as you will let me', well, that's not good. If they said '6 months', while that time might jive with your MIL's situation, it is not likely to be credible for the SIL (assuming she any sort of meaningful employment)...also, if asked why they wished to visit, if there was a hint of providing child care, that would do it as well.

And, as others have said, persistent visa abuse by those from the Philippines is what has caused this problem...not the CO, not our laws, but rather those who have chosen to put themselves above the law.

There are many generalizations about gaining any type of Visa, non-immigration or immigration Visa from the Philippines. I have heard about it through our entire (K1 Visa) process, yet my wife is a 10 Year GC holder now. Several years back about 10 to 15 percent of those who applied for a B2 visa in the Philippines were granted a B2 visas. In 2012 about 80 percent who applied for B2 visa were granted. Big difference from years past! So, you think all of these have middle to high income jobs? No, but granted incomes have risen, but that's not the main stream reason. More quality marriages have taken place accounts for a greater logic. I'm not insinuating in any fashion that a CO would purposely or spitefully deny a Visa. What I am saying that due to the fact that they are so many participants versus only a few consulate officers, it's impossible to give all cases a proper amount of time. However, I have no reason to doubt my sister-in-law or my mother-in-law. These two persons are of a high caliber of integrity. Neither of them would have any reason to dilute the truth or lie. Like a lot of Grandmother's here in the US they do not have jobs, and are not middle income, and many are widows. If anyone ever meet my mother-in-law it would be a no brainer that she could not function in the US without help. And, you can be assured that my wife and I respect the immigration laws to the "T" in the past and will do so for the future. In summary, the two people that interviewed for a B2 visa that I speak about in this post are not made up statics. They are my family. I have no reservations as to what my sister-in-law has reported, the only option now is to discover why. I remain diligent in stating that my mother-in-law did not receive one question.

Again, I've heard this same story over and over....'nobody was asked any questions..." and 'my relatives have perfect recall memories (the only two on the planet!) and would never distort the truth..." thus, we are to believe that only the COs are the villains, who summarily dismiss nearly every applicant without asking a single question of them.....nope, sorry...don't buy it for a minute. It makes no logical sense. In reality, denied applicants want to make it sound as if they did nothing wrong, and were denied any and every opportunity to prove their case, without mentioning how they may have answered the questions. As far as documents go, well, there are few from the PI that would make a case better. Sadly, far too many Filipinos have been, shall we say, 'creative' when it comes to documentation, and as a result, documents do little to positively reinforce a case, but can do a lot to undermine one.

As far as you and your wife respecting our immigration laws, well, that has nothing to do whatsoever with a tourist visa interview of a relative or friend. If that statement is supposed to imply that you would 'guarantee' that these relatives would depart the US when they are supposed to, then my question to you is a simple one: when did you acquire legal authority over either one of them once they arrive in the US? Answer: you have not. Thus, you cannot make them do anything, anywhere, anytime, except perhaps leave your abode (though your wife may object). You cannot control their behavior nor actions, nor physically carry them to the airport and shove them aboard an aircraft.

Bottom line: for whatever the reason(s), the CO did not believe that they would do what they said, depart the US when they said, and not violate the terms of a B2 visa holder. End of story. Blame the visa abusers instead of trying to make it sound as though the COs don't know what they are doing....

A tourist visa interview in general will not be made better by spending more time doing it....the COs are looking for credibility, not papers. They ask questions that can verify (or not) that credibility. If there are inconsistencies in the answers to given, a denial is likely. If it appears that the reasons for returning are not sufficiently strong, then by law the application is denied. Asking zero questions of an applicant cannot make any progress towards establishing the credibility of an applicant, which is why I don't buy the story of the MIL being asked nothing...since you were 8000 miles away when the interview took place, you don't have first hand knowledge of the events and I sincerely doubt that these two relatives have photographic memories. They want to come across as innocent victims of a process they do not understand....thus, the story likely has been told in such a way as to create that impression. COs have had weeks of intense interviewing training, followed by even more on the job training...none of that training is designed to conduct an interview by asking zero questions of an applicant. To believe this is to believe that COs are inept, unethical and lack personal responsibility...which is highly doubtful given the screening process by which people become foreign service officers. they have nothing to gain by conducting interviews in an alleged slipshod manner...nothing. Doing so would not be a career enhancing move.

Nearly everyone who has posted the story of a tourist visa denial of a relative or friend tells similar stories...their relatives or friends would make Mother Theresa look like Al Capone....no one on this planet, perhaps even in the galaxy, has as much integrity and honesty as those relatives (or friends) and COs are just a bunch of bureaucrats who haven't a clue.....one cannot just fill out an employment application and become a foreign service officer...it takes far more smarts and savvy than most jobs...and all are screened for flaws before they are offered a job.

A tourist visa interview in general will not be made better by spending more time doing it....the COs are looking for credibility, not papers. They ask questions that can verify (or not) that credibility. If there are inconsistencies in the answers to given, a denial is likely. If it appears that the reasons for returning are not sufficiently strong, then by law the application is denied. Asking zero questions of an applicant cannot make any progress towards establishing the credibility of an applicant, which is why I don't buy the story of the MIL being asked nothing...since you were 8000 miles away when the interview took place, you don't have first hand knowledge of the events and I sincerely doubt that these two relatives have photographic memories. They want to come across as innocent victims of a process they do not understand....thus, the story likely has been told in such a way as to create that impression. COs have had weeks of intense interviewing training, followed by even more on the job training...none of that training is designed to conduct an interview by asking zero questions of an applicant. To believe this is to believe that COs are inept, unethical and lack personal responsibility...which is highly doubtful given the screening process by which people become foreign service officers. they have nothing to gain by conducting interviews in an alleged slipshod manner...nothing. Doing so would not be a career enhancing move.

Nearly everyone who has posted the story of a tourist visa denial of a relative or friend tells similar stories...their relatives or friends would make Mother Theresa look like Al Capone....no one on this planet, perhaps even in the galaxy, has as much integrity and honesty as those relatives (or friends) and COs are just a bunch of bureaucrats who haven't a clue.....one cannot just fill out an employment application and become a foreign service officer...it takes far more smarts and savvy than most jobs...and all are screened for flaws before they are offered a job.

Maybe you meant make Al Capone look like Mother Theresa? :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would be interested to know, has anyone ever been awarded this type of visa. If so, what are your credintials?

Please keep in mind that some dates are only known after receipt of another document.
For example, the USPS Form 3811. The stamped receiving date was not know until the original Form 3811 was received on 07/13/2013 1:30 p/m CST.

07/05/2013 3:07 p/m CST I-129F pouch tendered to United States Postal Service in Houston, TX
07/09/2013 UNKNWN USPS Form 3811 / Signiture Receipt Card / Stamped and Received at USCIS Dallas Lockbox *
07/09/2013 UNKNWN USCIS / WEB SITE / receives petition and mails notice
07/12/2013 UNKNWN I-129F Check Presented to bank for payment
07/12/2013 2:51 p/m CST Text Message Received / G-1145 / I-129F Form / VSC - Documents sent to VSC
07/12/2013 2:51 p/m CST Email Received Received / G-1145 / I-129F Form / VSC - Documents sent to VSC
07/12/2013 UNKNWN I-129F Check coverted to ACH Payment to USCIS DALLAS PAYMENT
07/13/2013 1:30 p/m CST USPS Form 3811 / Signiture Receipt (GREEN) Card received from USCIS Dallas Lockbox *
07/13/2013 4:24 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Set up user account to track case status / https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/logon.do
07/15/2013 4:24 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Indicates "ACCEPTANCE"
07/16/2013 7:30 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Log in to check site / Indicates "INITIAL REVIEW"
07/17/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOA1) / Received in mail today. (Notice Date : 07/11/2013, VSC) (Stamp date on envelope : 07/15/13)

* Advising case has been opened.
07/18/2013 8:31 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Advising Alien Registration Number has been changed
07/18/2013 8:35 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

07/18/2013 8:31 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Advising Alien Registration Number has been changed
07/18/2013 8:35 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 6:45 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 6:47 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 7:00 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/09/2013 6:30 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Case has been transfered from VSC

08/09/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOAT) / Rcv'd in mail (Notice Date : 08/06/2013, VSC) (Stamp date on envelope : 08/07/2013)**

** Advising that the case has been transfered from VSC to TSC

08/09/2013 7:30 p/m CST USCIS / WEB STIE / Logged in to check site / Indicatted "INITIAL REVIEW

08/26/2013 8:45 p/m CST Email Recieved / USCIS / On 08/26/13, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E).

08/26/2013 8:47 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/26/2013 8:48 p/m CST USCIS / WEB STIE / Logged in to check site / Indicatted "POST DECISION ACTIVITY"

08/27/2013 7:15 a/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/27/2013 7:15 a/m CST Email Received / USCIS / On August 27, 2013, we shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing.

08/29/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOA2) / Rcv'd in mail. (Notice Date : 08/26/2013) (Stamp date on env. : 08/27/18) / Advising i-129F has been APPROVED.

09/05/2013 UNKNWN Phone Call to NVC / Petition received and MNL Number issued

09/06/2013 15:58 EST Documents shipped out via DHL AWB 8774193982 ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/302190-dhl-tracking-from-nvc-to-us-embassy/ ) EXCELLANT

09/09/2013 10:45 MNL Documents rcvd at Embassy signed for L Bernardion

Summary : Date mailed : 07/05; Docs rcv'd USCIS : 07/09; NOA1 issued : 07/11; NOA2 issued : 08/26, NOA2 rcv'd in mail : 08/29; NVC Rcv'd : 09/05/; MNL Emby rcv'd docs : 09/09

Total Number of Days : 67 days (Mailing date of I-129F at U.S. Post Office to Receipt of documents in Manila Embassy)

Projected Dates (Not Actual Dates) : Based on research on VJ Website, other members statements, and documents going to VSC Service Center
07/18/13 : Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between December 11, 2013 and December 24, 2013

I was denied a b2 visa two times two totally different times. the reasons were the same the co could not see me returning home. i simply did not have enough ties back home. so i decided never to apply for a us visa again. It was not till ten years later that i re applied with all evidence of holding my job for eleven years, two children at school, a good bank account, a cerificate of title, a house in my name, an invitation letter from a friend inviting me to visit the family for a holiday, and a a letter stating that i had one semester to complete my bsc degree at university that i got approved for a ten year b1/b2 visa along with my two daughters. in conclusion u must show ties. credibility, or charactor or grandchildren in the us, or children in the us is not ties. Steady growing bank accounts with jobs attached to it, house, land, school, job letters etc thatnis what the co uses. That is what they can use.

Edited by ustrack

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.