emberiza

Asking for advice....Having a baby soon.

31 posts in this topic

Hi everybody!

I'm pregnant and due in 3 weeks. I had planned to speak only English to our baby and teach our child my native tongue later on when he gets older. The reason being that I'm so used to speaking English all the time and I don't really want to speak in my native tongue all the time. Also, my husband speaks only English so he would not understand when I talk to our child. Anyway, my Mom is giving me a hard time about this (she doesn't speak English). She thinks our child should speak to me in my native tongue and speak English to my husband and that I should start right away when the baby's born. I understand it's a good idea to teach your kids to be bilingual, but as a parent you would have to be very motivated doing that. And honestly I don't feel motivated speaking only my native tongue to our child. I was planning to teach my native tongue later on though (give lessons to our child). Anyway, I know that if I don't teach our child my native tongue right away, my Mom is going to be highly offended and hurt(which I don't want either). How would you deal with a situation like this? Any advice?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As the child's mother, you know better than anyone else.

Since you're permanently living in the US, teach the child English. Your native language is just secondary so you can insert a few lessons later on.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Does Mom live with you , or no ?

If no, what's the issue?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everybody!

I'm pregnant and due in 3 weeks. I had planned to speak only English to our baby and teach our child my native tongue later on when he gets older. The reason being that I'm so used to speaking English all the time and I don't really want to speak in my native tongue all the time. Also, my husband speaks only English so he would not understand when I talk to our child. Anyway, my Mom is giving me a hard time about this (she doesn't speak English). She thinks our child should speak to me in my native tongue and speak English to my husband and that I should start right away when the baby's born. I understand it's a good idea to teach your kids to be bilingual, but as a parent you would have to be very motivated doing that. And honestly I don't feel motivated speaking only my native tongue to our child. I was planning to teach my native tongue later on though (give lessons to our child). Anyway, I know that if I don't teach our child my native tongue right away, my Mom is going to be highly offended and hurt(which I don't want either). How would you deal with a situation like this? Any advice?

I wouldn't worry too much, babies are like sponges and pick up on languages much better than older kids or adults. Speak English to your spouse and speak your native language to your baby. You can give your spouse a lesson at the same time if he would like..hehehe. Good luck :thumbs:

I Looooooove my baby Lyn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I agree with the other person who said that it's probably about her concern about being unable to communicate with her grandchild, and how it would appear that you don't care for your child to speak to his grandma/other family.

At the same time, I would not like what would seem like a "private language" going on in front of me (thinking of the husband here), so I think it would be best for your husband to learn your native tongue as well OR your mother/other family to start learning English.

You speak in your native tongue only to the baby while your husband only uses English with the baby. That way you can ensure the babe isn't over/under exposed to any 1 language while being forced to learn each individual language.

What is your native language?

Edited by aaydrian

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

My husband has the same problem as you think you are going to have. He speaks English well and has some kind of mental block in his head speaking to our daughter in German at home. In public, he'll only speak German, but at home...who knows, whatever he feels like. I'd say 85% English/15% German. I have to reinforce sometimes and I can do that because I do speak German. But I am not a native speaker and I shouldn't have to do most of this myself. She is nearly 7 and she can understand, read, and write German with no problems, but her speaking is a bit of a train wreck because her father never forces her to speak in German. My IL's only speak German, so she Skypes with them now every weekend and that helps some. It also helps that she has a strong natural interest in the language and actively wants to learn. That is still not enough for her father for some reason. He SAYS it is important that she learns German, but then he keeps speaking English at home anyway.

It will be an uphill battle if there is zero outside reinforcement and you already know you may not have the discipline to follow through. It is actually a lot harder than some people make it seem to raise a fluently bilingual child.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I speak only English and my husband speaks English and Spanish. Our baby is 15 months old. It was/is important to me that my husband teaches him how to speak spanish. Most of his family only speaks spanish so i wanted our baby to be able to talk to his grandmother as well as other family members. My husband speaks both english and spanish to our son and he understands both. He even learned to say Hola before he said Hi. Babies learn so fast that it is very easy for them to pick up on both languages if they are used to hearing both. Your mothers concern is probably just wanting to be included and being able to communicate with her grandchild.
This is what we're doing, si man. Mrs. T-B. handles the Spanish and part of the English, and until tonight I handled only the English. Two-year-old Mini-Bone is picking up both quite well.

However, tonight I taught Mini-B. three 3-word "bad" phrases in Spanish (he picked them up right away), and Mrs. T-B. objected. I reasoned that she wanted him to be bilingual and for me to bond with him, so this covered both bases, si man.

Seriously: If today I had the brain synapses that I had as a child, I'd make it my life's sole priority to learn languages like a wild man. Too difficult now.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I have a 3 year old son, I'm speaking to him in French and his dad in English (only speaks English) and in French for short directives.

I was easier for me to talk to him in French, but it's difficult because his was replying a lot in English (he built his vocabulary mostly by watching English cartoons). Now we went in vacation in my country recently (for one month), his French vocabulary skyrocketed so quickly, maybe because he met some other french speaking children.

It can be hard to raise a bilingual children, but if you want to teach your son later, it can be much more harder. And with an infant you don't need to teach him really, you have just to talk to him, for him to be used to your native language. Even if it's 20% of the time.

But if you don't feel doing it...thinking also that later will be better. You may regret it.

When you go in vacation in your home country, it can be good for him to be able to talk to his cousin.

It's also good for your grandma and your child to be able to communicate.

Good luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

in the end, if your husband is comfortable with multiple languages, I say go for it, irrespective of what your mother wants.

Bilingual, trilingual folk have wider vistas when looking for employment,

and if/when yer seeking a masters degree - having that second language helps when meeting the language requirement.

Sure, if you can easily accommodate your mom, then it's not any issue, right?

Teaching multiple languages to a baby is much easier than an 11 year old - there's loads of studies proving same.

I speak, read, and write well in 5 languages, so far. I only can speak in Mandarin - can't read it or write it to save my life (though my translators are useful) ....

English wasna my first language - I only started English in elementary school - but I think I would have had a better shot at it all if my folks were bilingual at home.

So, instead of thinking to acquiesce to your mother's want - think, instead, if your husband would be comfortable. If so, I strongly suggest you teach your baby that native tongue.

Good Luck, whatever you decide to do !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I speak only English and my husband speaks English and Spanish. Our baby is 15 months old. It was/is important to me that my husband teaches him how to speak spanish. Most of his family only speaks spanish so i wanted our baby to be able to talk to his grandmother as well as other family members. My husband speaks both english and spanish to our son and he understands both. He even learned to say Hola before he said Hi. Babies learn so fast that it is very easy for them to pick up on both languages if they are used to hearing both. Your mothers concern is probably just wanting to be included and being able to communicate with her grandchild.

+1

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My baby was born in April, i speak swedish with her my husband speaks English, her big brother who was born and raised in Sweden speaks swinglish ( a mix between Swedish and English). Now she's still really young but she responds to both languages.

I'm sure that English will be her no 1 language but since both me and her brother uses swedish now and then plus that we will visit Sweden every year i want her to at least understand it and be able to speak it.

You will find a way that you feel comfortable with once you get there.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.