Dust Bunnies

Are tax returns really necessary?

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking over I-134. It says:

"I derive an annual income of: (If self-employed, I have attached a copy of my last income tax return or report of commercial rating concern which I certify to be true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. See instructions for nature of evidence of net worth to be submitted.)"

I'm not self-employed and I meet the income requirements. I have pay stubs and letters from employer. But yet I see everyone on these forums talking about tax returns. Are tax returns really necessary?

a2054bf6d4.pngRather Obscure Shirts a2054bf6d4.png

5/23/2016 - Baby Emily was born <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes it is required. One year is always required, but most embassies want to see three so may as well submit three years rather than face a delay because they asked for it at interview. If you filed taxes, then this is no problem- call the IRS and ask for tax return transcripts, takes about two weeks to get and is free.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes it is required. One year is always required, but most embassies want to see three so may as well submit three years rather than face a delay because they asked for it at interview. If you filed taxes, then this is no problem- call the IRS and ask for tax return transcripts, takes about two weeks to get and is free.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with what the others have said and :guides:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Happy trails on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

"I derive an annual income of: (If self-employed, I have attached a copy of my last income tax return or report of commercial rating concern which I certify to be true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. See instructions for nature of evidence of net worth to be submitted.)"

I'm not self-employed and I meet the income requirements. I have pay stubs and letters from employer. But yet I see everyone on these forums talking about tax returns. Are tax returns really necessary?

No. Tax returns are NOT a form requirement for the I-134. Some countries require them though so you need to find out your countries rules. Australia for example follows the form instructions and does not require a tax return.

Incorrect. They are NOT a form requirement. They CAN be a country requirement.

YES

See this thread here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/404752-affidavit-of-support-freaking-out/page__view__findpost__p__5878003

They are not a requirement but as they are easy to obtain it is best to have them on hand in case you are asked to present them.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Get your most recent tax transcript for free from the IRS. It is better to have it and not be asked for it, than to not have it and be asked for it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No. Tax returns are NOT a form requirement for the I-134. Some countries require them though so you need to find out your countries rules. Australia for example follows the form instructions and does not require a tax return.

See this thread here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/404752-affidavit-of-support-freaking-out/page__view__findpost__p__5878003

They are not a requirement but as they are easy to obtain it is best to have them on hand in case you are asked to present them.

Australia is one of very few that do not require it. It is required for the AOS a few weeks later.

As I noted, it behooves the OP to be assembling as much information as possible to favor a decision going the way he wants it to go. Why would anyone recommend NOT attaching a tax return that is going to be needed for the AOS in a few weeks anyway?

Do you need tax returns for this process? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Australia is one of very few that do not require it. It is required for the AOS a few weeks later.

As I noted, it behooves the OP to be assembling as much information as possible to favor a decision going the way he wants it to go. Why would anyone recommend NOT attaching a tax return that is going to be needed for the AOS in a few weeks anyway?

Do you need tax returns for this process? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand what you're saying but the OP was confused because the I-134 does not mention it yet everyone else says they're required. They are NOT required by the form and telling the OP (and anyone reading) that "yes they're required" without explaining that "no, the form doesn't require them but some countries might" may make them freak out wondering what else the forms don't say but are actually requirements of the form.

Again, the I-134 does NOT require tax returns, but the country in question might and it's better that have than not need, than need and not have. Not having them won't result in denial, but it will result in delays and unnecessary stress.

So to answer the OP's qn, again, no, tax returns aren't required of the form, but get them just in case because they can ask for them. Certainly can't hurt!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

See this thread here: http://www.visajourn...ost__p__5878003

They may not be necessary for the I-134 for all countries, but they ARE for the AOS. No matter the circumstances or country they WILL be needed at some point. You will need 3 years of tax returns or tax transcripts.

Timeline

They may not be necessary for the I-134 for all countries, but they ARE for the AOS. No matter the circumstances or country they WILL be needed at some point. You will need 3 years of tax returns or tax transcripts.

True. But that's not what this question is about. It's about the I-134.

Depends on your Consulate, depends on the CO who interviews you.

I stuck to the I-134 instructions, but that was mostly because my partner doesn't receive pay stubs (he works on a farm and his boss is old school, practically his surrogate grand dad and does the pays using an adding machine) he only had tax returns available, no W2's and we didn't have time to get the transcripts.

I've written a couple of posts about the discrepancy between what the I-134 instructions say and what the VJ guidelines say.... but for the most part people here say they have needed the extra documents at the interview. Some very unlucky people have provided all that and more and been denied. I think Sydney is a pretty relaxed Consulate to go through, I had a really nice friendly CO interview me and those 2 things probably helped my case get approved.

If you can get the tax return stuff, then take it with you to be on the safe side. Better to have more, than not enough and kick yourself later!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with what the others have said and :guides:

http://www.visajourn...content/k1guide

Happy trails on your visa journey.

:thumbs:Read instead of doing what what you want.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

YES

But what if..YES

But even if I am ....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!

Not only for the visa, but people have to stop thinking that the visa is the end. IT IS THE BEGINNING! Until you have the visa in your hand you have NOT begun the process.

You will need the last year's tax return for the visa interview, you will need three years tax returns for the adjustment of status (or at least the most recent plus the reported gross income from the two prior to that, and YES they check if it is correct) you will then need your previous three years tax returns for the Removal of Conditions AND all tax returns between the time the green card is issued and citizenship interview for citizenship.

Another mistake people make is going by the I-134 instructions. The I-134 is not a legal document. It is not even required! What IS required is that you submit an "affidavit of support" and documents that you can support your fiancee/spouse. The affidavt can be one you write yourself OR you can use the convenient I-134 which is pre-printed for you. The I-134 is used for many visas. I would not even think about going to a visa interview without at least the most recent tax return, I have yet to see a case where anyone got a visa without it. At any rate, you are definitely going to need it just a few weeks later for the I-864, so why not get it ready now?

The I-134, for this process, is nothing more than a convenient pre-printed cover letter for what you attach to it. Nothing else. You need to make the consulate "comfortable" that your fiancee will not be a public charge. There ARE NO guidelines for that. People often use the I-864 guidelines but those do not apply to the I-134 or the consulates, the consulates can make up their own mind. There is no "goal line" that you cross and everything is OK. It is completely subjective on the part of the consulate.

It behooves you, if you really want your fiancee to get a visa, to provide as much information as possible.

What you need to be doing right now is finding a way to INCREASE the amount of information you give to the consulate instead of looking for ways to "get out of" something. Remember that this decision is made by someone who knows nothing about you and makes a decision by what YOU place in front of them. Neither you or your fiancee have a chance to explain anything and their decision will be made before they interview her.

If you did not file tax returns for some previous years, do that today. Google "1040-(year)" for the forms. If no tax is owed, there is no penalty for filing late.

:thumbs:

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Alright, thanks for the information guys. I haven't had any problems so far thanks to following the guides on VisaJourney so I'll continue doing so. I'll Include my last 3 tax transcripts.

a2054bf6d4.pngRather Obscure Shirts a2054bf6d4.png

5/23/2016 - Baby Emily was born <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.