Speeds03

I think I have a unique case. Double endorsement checks.

75 posts in this topic

To make a long story short. I haven't filed AOS for my wife yet and she has been here for about 6 months. I actually have everything ready, just need a translation of her birth certificate and the packet will be ready to go. Anyhow, since she does have a social security number and we got married, I was able to file my 2 previous tax returns as joint returns and was able to get about 3 checks in refund from the government.

Problem is that me and my wife's name are one the check. When I went to cash it, I was told that in order to cash it, my wife and I would need to have a joint account. When I said sure, why not, i'll make my account a joint account, the teller told me that I would need to bring my wife's state ID or drivers license in order to make/open a joint account. Well, how is my wife going to get a stae ID/Driver's Lincense without even being a resident. Why would the government double endorse our checks if they knew my wife isn't a resident yet. ugh! Don't know what to do. Is my only option to cash the checks, is to wait till my wife is granted her green card so that she can be able to apply for a state ID?

Nov 14, 2011 - I-129F packet sent.

Nov 15, 2011 - Packet received and signed by (J. Authur)

Nov 18, 2011 - NOA1 (Notice by text message and Email)

Mar 02, 2012 - NOA2 (Notice by text message and Email) [Took 105 days]

Mar 07, 2012 - NOA2 Hard copy arrived by mail.

Mar 19, 2012 - NVC recieved my case.

Mar 20, 2012 - NVC fowarded my case to US embassy in DR.

April 05, 2012 - DOS gave us our interview date. (May 14th)

Dec 20, 2012 - I-485 packet sent.

Dec 21, 2012 - Packet recieved and signed by (...)

Dec 27, 2012 - NOA1 (Notice by text message and Email)

Jan 6, 2013 - NOA1 (Hard copies by mail)

If your wife has been here six months, how did you file 2 previous tax returns jointly as a married person when you weren't married at that time? Did you file jointly for years you weren't married? Do you file taxes quarterly?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

To make a long story short. I haven't filed AOS for my wife yet and she has been here for about 6 months. I actually have everything ready, just need a translation of her birth certificate and the packet will be ready to go. Anyhow, since she does have a social security number and we got married, I was able to file my 2 previous tax returns as joint returns and was able to get about 3 checks in refund from the government.

Problem is that me and my wife's name are one the check. When I went to cash it, I was told that in order to cash it, my wife and I would need to have a joint account. When I said sure, why not, i'll make my account a joint account, the teller told me that I would need to bring my wife's state ID or drivers license in order to make/open a joint account. Well, how is my wife going to get a stae ID/Driver's Lincense without even being a resident. Why would the government double endorse our checks if they knew my wife isn't a resident yet. ugh! Don't know what to do. Is my only option to cash the checks, is to wait till my wife is granted her green card so that she can be able to apply for a state ID?

This shouldn't be a problem technically if she doesn't have a state ID she can use her passport as an Identification and that should be valid. In the event she can't open the joint account with you with the passport (which I highly doubt she will have an issue as a passport is consider a valid ID).

Also she doesn't need to be a residence to obtain an ID if you go down to DMV and have her take her BC, Passport, SSN card and just with her passport itself I believe its 8pt she will fill out the form to obtain a state ID pay I believe is $8.00 for 6 years ID or $10.00 for 10years just confirm this with your local DMV office. Other then that you should be able to open/cash check anywhere with her unexpired valid passport.

Good Luck!

Edited by GodsGift225

~* GodsGift225*~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She should be able to endorse the check over to you. Talk to your bank again, and ask them how she can do this. Usually it's done by her merely signing the check on the back by above the endorsement line and then stating who the signer is endorsing the check to (you).

Source: I work in financial services.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Just endorse the checks and deposit it in your bank account. You don't need to present any proof if you deposit them.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

She should be able to endorse the check over to you. Talk to your bank again, and ask them how she can do this. Usually it's done by her merely signing the check on the back by above the endorsement line and then stating who the signer is endorsing the check to (you).

Source: I work in financial services.

All the checks were signed (on the back) by her as well as by me. And I was told by chase and Xcel banks that I would need a joint account.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So, you talked with one human at your bank. Talk with another.

SSN card and Passport should be enough.

Alternatively, take yourself and your wife to a Walmart and cash the checks in the money center.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

If your wife has been here six months, how did you file 2 previous tax returns jointly as a married person when you weren't married at that time? Did you file jointly for years you weren't married? Do you file taxes quarterly?

Lmao. You are eligible to file for the two previous tax years, AFTER you are married, and include dependents and what not. I wouldn't know how to give you anymore info on that, but you can someone who does know. I file my taxes when everyone else does :rofl: .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

To make a long story short. I haven't filed AOS for my wife yet and she has been here for about 6 months. <snip> Anyhow, since she does have a social security number and we got married, I was able to file my 2 previous tax returns as joint returns and was able to get about 3 checks in refund from the government.

She entered in May on a K1. That means you were married this year, which means that you would only file jointly for 2012 (which isn't due yet).. so how did you file joint for the last 2 returns?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Yep you can only file jointly when you are married, not prior to being married.

Take her to the bank with you, with her having ID of course like her passport, and their shouldn't be a problem. No need for a joint account if she has signed the checks.

Yep you can only file jointly when you are married, not prior to being married.

Take her to the bank with you, with her having ID of course like her passport, and their shouldn't be a problem. No need for a joint account if she has signed the checks.

Interesting, I guess I don't know jack about taxes. But that isn't the case anyways. I will try to take her with and her foreign passport, and see how that goes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

All the checks were signed (on the back) by her as well as by me. And I was told by chase and Xcel banks that I would need a joint account.

That doesn't sound right to me. Like the other poster stated, bring her with you next time and ask for a manager. I don't know of any AML law that would prevent her from endorsing the checks over to you by simply writing on the back. Make a stink about it. The manager should be able to do something.

See if you can use her ITIN to add her to your bank account (you can legally use this as a form of ID in place of a SSN). If you filed jointly, she should at least have an ITIN. Make sure she brings her passport.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

I appreciate you concern, but I worded it wrong. I did not file for previous taxs years as jointly, I am suppose to do that for this tax year. I can't edit the OP for some reason. :bonk:

Edited by Speeds03

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.