brian99

Adjustment of Status Denied For 2 Day Error

46 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Since they will need to file the I-130, I-485, G-325, I-765..so does that mean she will need a new medical (I-693)?

Will the medical also be needed for the children?

If the current medical has expired then yes, a new medical is needed. It is usually valid for 12 months. Same goes for the kids.

It utterly sucks that you did not get married within the 90 days however that is not anything you can negociate with USCIS. You can't waive it and even if you appealed their decision, you wouldn't win since it's on your shoulders, and both you and your fiancee signed several papers throughout the K1 process attesting you indeed would get married within 90 days. File the I-130 and I-485(and supporting forms including EAD) ASAP. As someone else mentioned, the current EAD is no longer valid no matter what it says on the EAD. The "check immigration status" triumphs what is written on the EAD itself.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm overwhelmed by the good advice here and won't be wasting my time/money on an immigration attorney.

There are two step children who were 12 & 8 when then arrived and have not yet passed a birthday.

Fortunately, we hadn't applied for AOS for them yet. We did my wife first since she arrived somewhat ahead of the kids.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For people who are worried about this in the future (for instance, if you already set the date and didn't realize it was later than the 90 days), a possible solution could have been to get married by a judge before the wedding and then to have the ceremony afterwards when originally planned so as to not disappoint the family or ruin any plans.

Hind-sight is 20/20, though.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

I'm overwhelmed by the good advice here and won't be wasting my time/money on an immigration attorney.

Good! :) This is easily something you can fix yourself, with the help of VJ. This place is an amazing resource.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There are two step children who were 12 & 8 when then arrived and have not yet passed a birthday.

Fortunately, we hadn't applied for AOS for them yet. We did my wife first since she arrived somewhat ahead of the kids.

Ok. The reason I asked about their age is because there are different rules depending on what visa category they are adjusting status under. If they are adjusting status as derivatives of the original I-129F petition (K2) then the requirement is that they must have entered the US before they were 21. That's no longer possible because you didn't marry their mother within 90 days of her entry. They need a new petition to base their adjustment of status on, and that means filing an I-130 for each of them. Their new visa category is CR2, and the requirement is that the parent/step-child relationship must have been established before they were 18; i.e., you must have married their mother before they were 18.

In other words, if they had been under 21 when they entered the US, and over 18 when you married their mother, then you wouldn't be able to submit an I-130 for them. They'd have to leave the US.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can always consult an attorney or other civic organization to get further advice of needed. Sorry the 90 day rule is very rigid, I guess you found VJ too late, better late than never. Good luck with your family. Personally I would spend what ever was needed to keep my family here.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think kids adjusting with parent get a discount on the I-485. It's in the instructions.

Correct. Definitely do as others suggest and file the I-130/I-485 concurrently (all gets mailed to the Chicago Lockbox address).

Fees for wife:

I-130: $420

I-485: $985 + $85 for biometrics

Total: $1,490

Fees for each child:

I-130: $420

I-485: $635 if filed at same time as parent. $985 if filed at any other time. No biometrics for children under the age of 14.

Total: $1,055 per child

Total for all: $3,600 if done together; add another $700 if you wish to wait until later to file for the children.

As someone else mentioned, filing later for the children may cause problems when registering for school. We live in TN and proof of legal presence was required at time of registration.

Re-submit the I-765 at the same time as it is free when submitted with the I-485.

John

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Family Based Visas forum; topic is related to AOS process.

Is there a possibility tha tyou can leave a copy of the origianl post in K1 section since this is crucial to K1 folks to know?

I've said it once and I'll say it again, and much to the changrin of some, folks should AOS as soon as the timelines permit.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Is there a possibility tha tyou can leave a copy of the origianl post in K1 section since this is crucial to K1 folks to know?

When I moved the thread, a link to this thread was left in the K1 forum. People looking through the K1 forum will be able to click on this thread and read it.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just another small piece of information. She can't leave the US until the new process is completed. Once she leaves, she has no legal way to re-enter, except re-filing for a spousal visa(but please read on). The K1 was a one time entry. Currently, she is out of status. As she is currently out of status, the clock has started ticking on the unlwaful presence (not meaning in a bad way, that is how USCIS words it), if more than 180 days of unlawful presence occurs before filing the AOS, then they will become inadmissible on the day they leave the United States because of their accumulated unlawful presence. They also would incur a 3 year ban. JimVaPhuong has posted extensively on this. However, once the "new" I-485 is approved, all is forgiven and there are no worries after that. She can leave and re-enter legally as she will have LPR status. As others have pointed out, do not worry about deportation, you just have to file again...unfortunately.

Best of luck with the rest of your journey.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Just another small piece of information. She can't leave the US until the new process is completed. Once she leaves, she has no legal way to re-enter, except re-filing for a spousal visa(but please read on). The K1 was a one time entry. Currently, she is out of status. As she is currently out of status, the clock has started ticking on the unlwaful presence (not meaning in a bad way, that is how USCIS words it), if more than 180 days of unlawful presence occurs before filing the AOS, then they will become inadmissible on the day they leave the United States because of their accumulated unlawful presence. They also would incur a 3 year ban. JimVaPhuong has posted extensively on this. However, once the "new" I-485 is approved, all is forgiven and there are no worries after that. She can leave and re-enter legally as she will have LPR status. As others have pointed out, do not worry about deportation, you just have to file again...unfortunately.

Best of luck with the rest of your journey.

Just adding to this.

Your wife is now a K-1 visa overstay. This means she cannot use Advance Parole to return to the US if she leaves before getting her green card. If she had not overstayed her K-1 visa by those pesky 2 days, she could have used Advance Parole. Now, she needs to have her green card before she leaves the US if she wants to return.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just adding to this.

Your wife is now a K-1 visa overstay. This means she cannot use Advance Parole to return to the US if she leaves before getting her green card. If she had not overstayed her K-1 visa by those pesky 2 days, she could have used Advance Parole. Now, she needs to have her green card before she leaves the US if she wants to return.

This is incorrect. She can use her NEW AP (the one she'll get from this new filing) as long as she hasn't accrued enough time for a ban, which 2 days is not. She'll be fine to use it.

Ok. The reason I asked about their age is because there are different rules depending on what visa category they are adjusting status under. If they are adjusting status as derivatives of the original I-129F petition (K2) then the requirement is that they must have entered the US before they were 21. That's no longer possible because you didn't marry their mother within 90 days of her entry. They need a new petition to base their adjustment of status on, and that means filing an I-130 for each of them. Their new visa category is CR2, and the requirement is that the parent/step-child relationship must have been established before they were 18; i.e., you must have married their mother before they were 18.

In other words, if they had been under 21 when they entered the US, and over 18 when you married their mother, then you wouldn't be able to submit an I-130 for them. They'd have to leave the US.

Jim quick qn... the OP's wife "entered with immigrant intent", as is the purpose of the K1. So even though I know she'll be fine to AOS, why is she fine? Immigrant intent has already been proven so shouldn't she technically be denied based on that? She WON'T be but I wondered why not...

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Jim quick qn... the OP's wife "entered with immigrant intent", as is the purpose of the K1. So even though I know she'll be fine to AOS, why is she fine? Immigrant intent has already been proven so shouldn't she technically be denied based on that? She WON'T be but I wondered why not...

Pretty sure it's in the rules that intent alone is not a reason to deny AOS so long as the case would otherwise normally be approved.

Our Journey

6/6/2007 Met online

12/05/2007 Realized I was nuts about him!

01/19/2008 Confessed...and he felt the same <3

05/01/2008 Met in person in Chicago

5/2008-5/2010 Umpteen visits between Ireland and US

6/19/2010 Got married!

04/06/2012 Finally able to send paperwork for AOS!

(Day 1)04/11/2012 Papers arrived at Chicago lockbox and signed for.

(Day 3)04/13/2012 Email confirmations!

(Day 7)04/17/2012 NOA hard copies received.

(Day 10)04/20/2012 Biometrics appt received for 05/07/2012

(Day 27)05/07/2012 Biometrics

(Day 65)06/15/2012 EAD approval email

(Day 69)06/19/2012 Interview notice!!! 07/24/2012!!

(Day 75)06/25/2012 EAD arrives.

(Day 104)07/24/2012 Interview in Atlanta....Approved!!!

Expecting a baby boy 8/9/2013!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Pretty sure it's in the rules that intent alone is not a reason to deny AOS so long as the case would otherwise normally be approved.

See where I thought the rules said the ASSUMPTION of intent alone isn't reason enough, but I thought proof of intent (given she entered on a k1 evidence is pretty strong) they had to deny because entering on a non-immigrant visa (which the K1 is) with intent to adjust is illegal... but then that's a K1's purpose, but the op isn't adjusting based ON the K1... again she WILL be fine, it's just interesting...

See where I thought the rules said the ASSUMPTION of intent alone isn't reason enough, but I thought proof of intent (given she entered on a k1 evidence is pretty strong) they had to deny because entering on a non-immigrant visa (which the K1 is) with intent to adjust is illegal... but then that's a K1's purpose, but the op isn't adjusting based ON the K1... again she WILL be fine, it's just interesting...

Um, the K1 visa allows for immigrant intent. She's adjusting from a K-1. That's all. She can't adjust based on an approved I-129F and marriage within the 90 days (category C). Adding a I-130 doesn't make it that she can't have intent. Her visa still stands.

And, speaking of her visa still having precedence... this would only work if she married the petition (which she did).

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.