NigeriAmerica

Facebook - Make or Break Your Case?

86 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Two points made earlier are worth amplifying:

A ) Unlike criminal investigations as depicted on American television, there is no "presumption of innocence" with the DoS (or USCIS for that matter). All visa applicants, particularly and especially those from countries where the GDP per capita is a tiny fraction of that of North America or western Europe, are assumed from the start to be immigration frauds, and the onus is on the applicant, right from the beginning, to assemble and present a package of evidence that convincingly shows otherwise.

B ) If, after reading all of the evidence that they are obliged to accept (this little wrinkle is why front-loading can be so important for certain embassies), they are still suspicious, you can bet that the background search will be expanded (assuming these aren't included automatically these days) to include any information you've posted on any public forum linkable to your name, email address, and frequently used nicknames and user ids. It's probably not even one click on their part - I would be highly surprised if automated tools didn't exist to automatically, without any further human action, assemble a dossier from public information on Google, Facebook and Myspace, given a simple name request by any interested government official.

It's not about being a Muslim, and it's not even particularly about possibly being a terrorist - it's about the simple reality that a lot more immigration frauds, as a percentage of total applications, originate from poor countries than from rich ones.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Then why not make everything private on facebook? You don't need to make everything public. There is the option to not allow yourself to be found in the facebook configuration or found via google. If you are that worried, then disable them.

Unless they are gaining access by hacking or using some law that requires facebook to allow them access, then they shouldn't even be able to see beyond your profile picture.

They have been known to ask for FB email and password at some interviews. And yes, if they want access they'll get it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Two points made earlier are worth amplifying:

A ) Unlike criminal investigations as depicted on American television, there is no "presumption of innocence" with the DoS (or USCIS for that matter). All visa applicants, particularly and especially those from countries where the GDP per capita is a tiny fraction of that of North America or western Europe, are assumed from the start to be immigration frauds, and the onus is on the applicant, right from the beginning, to assemble and present a package of evidence that convincingly shows otherwise.

B ) If, after reading all of the evidence that they are obliged to accept (this little wrinkle is why front-loading can be so important for certain embassies), they are still suspicious, you can bet that the background search will be expanded (assuming these aren't included automatically these days) to include any information you've posted on any public forum linkable to your name, email address, and frequently used nicknames and user ids. It's probably not even one click on their part - I would be highly surprised if automated tools didn't exist to automatically, without any further human action, assemble a dossier from public information on Google, Facebook and Myspace, given a simple name request by any interested government official.

It's not about being a Muslim, and it's not even particularly about possibly being a terrorist - it's about the simple reality that a lot more immigration frauds, as a percentage of total applications, originate from poor countries than from rich ones.

Okay; I get it now. :yes: Thank you.

Edited by NigeriAmerica

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband have a fb and its in my real name so anyone can look it up but it is set as private :lol: It's only family and close friends on it so they can look and see.If nothing to hide why worry about fb :P Remember The Oklahoma City bombing he was American not middle eastern ...terrorist can be anyone I believe

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I would assume for cases where there's not enough evidence or it's a high fraud country they do, since a person who hides their partner, in particular when married, from their online life probably isn't being honest about many things.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My husband have a fb and its in my real name so anyone can look it up but it is set as private :lol: It's only family and close friends on it so they can look and see.If nothing to hide why worry about fb :P Remember The Oklahoma City bombing he was American not middle eastern ...terrorist can be anyone I believe

Very True!

I'm sure they can also hack systems and check people's IP address, if they use different emails and usernames. :devil:

Timeline

Very True!

I'm sure they can also hack systems and check people's IP address, if they use different emails and usernames. :devil:

:dance: If your truthful why worry ...Him and I share that account all our family is on it :devil:

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am sure they are not wasting time checking FB from Norway people.

It is usually just the high fraud or Muslim people

Government trying to protect women and our country

I would hope they'd check people from Norway,

especially after that Norwegian militant guy

who shot down like 77 youths several months

ago.

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Timeline

I would hope they'd check people from Norway,

especially after that Norwegian militant guy

who shot down like 77 youths several months

ago.

As I said...Muslims or that guy was studying Al Qaeda and visited Liberia 2001. So of course he would have has his private emails checked out if he had a visa pending.

Thanks for proving my point.

No matter where you live...if you study Islam or practice Islam you will be scrutiized during the visa process

Edited by togetherforever13

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

I suggest signing up for a second FB account and looking at your wall to see what is really public, then change posts to public that will benefit your application. Despite having my settings set to private, I had a lot of things that were out in public.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Timeline

Forget about Facebook, that's the least of your concerns. Do some research on your fiancee's country and it's peculiarities when it comes to immigration into the United States. Try to find out everything about your fiancee and vice versa. Prepare yourself mentally for abusive or obtrusive consular officers who will be interviewing him and asking him all sorts of humiliating questions. But before you do any of this set your FB to private, or better yet, erase your profile.

Unrelated question to everybody; what is this need to keep personal info out there for the taking?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Forget about Facebook, that's the least of your concerns. Do some research on your fiancee's country and it's peculiarities when it comes to immigration into the United States. Try to find out everything about your fiancee and vice versa. Prepare yourself mentally for abusive or obtrusive consular officers who will be interviewing him and asking him all sorts of humiliating questions. But before you do any of this set your FB to private, or better yet, erase your profile.

Unrelated question to everybody; what is this need to keep personal info out there for the taking?

Find out about her country, or the country she will interview in?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

would a terrorist announce that they are a terrorist on their fb or gloat about their kamakazi plans? :rofl:

fyi, my fb has my wedding-family portrait as poster pic. facebook.com/unlockingsky :thumbs:

Some terroists are pretty passionate. Haven't

some communicated their plans via Twitter?

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Is it true? The CO Folks at the Embassy check your Facebook activities to view you and/or your fiance's/spouse' behavior? Many people use aliases and many people have the exact same names, so how are they certain the accounts truly belong to the Petitioners and/or their Fiances with pending cases with USCIS? :unsure:

i dont know if they do or not...but of course they can!is USA!jaja...

but if they do or they dont...if u dont have nothing to hide,and u are true with your relationship....why to worry??? :no:

i wont be scare if i know im honest... :innocent:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.