SunDancer

Nightmare of an Interview @ Mumbai 4/19

142 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I don't think there's a country/embassy that even blinks at older man younger woman no matter how much the difference. It's just not that big a thing to the world. Even us raise an eyebrow when we say "53 year old woman with 4 grand kids married to 32 year old guy". It's the world we live in.

Personally, I hold women in much higher esteem than men and expect more out of them. A grandfather married to a much younger woman is as disgusting to me as the opposite. But on the other hand, I expect women to take one look at a picture of themselves and the pretty boy from Africa/India/MENA, who said "I love you" so wonderfully early on and go "####, I can't do this, I look like his grannie, I have more self esteem than that".

I foresee a post removal.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

To everybody, for the record: I consider Sachinky's posts (anywhere, anytime) to be sensible, literate, and well worth considering by anyone who reads them.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I know Boiler addressed this but I don't get this. Somehow when the question of the USC moving is posed, it is always damned near impossible. House, mortgage, kids, wonderful job, retirement etc are cited and yet, apparently, the beneficiary has no binding ties. He or she is capable of moving across oceans but it is unreasonable to expect his/her spouse to do the same. Do these conversations not take place before marriage? Especially in red-flag cases where denial is a very likely outcome, especially on the first try? "It is impossible for me to leave, but the US government must issue a visa to my intended despite murky circumstances! How can they not? We are in love! Love, I say!"

I know Mr. Sachinky and I talked at length about possibly living in India since I am the only child of my parents. We eventually went with the CR-1 since I had been in the US for four years (on a F-1 visa) and there wouldn't be any issues regarding transitions. If denied, Mr. Sachinky would've moved to Calcutta and we would've made a go of our life there. Perhaps, we would've have given the DCF a try in the future. Perhaps not. Anyway, V&C, your case doesn't seem similar to the OP's (the circumstances and evolution, at least, but perhaps, you too, have an age difference and therefore are relating your situation to the OPs?) and this discussion is rather off-topic as it has no bearing on the original thread.

The only thing that is similar in our case is that we are both an interracial couple.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What about K1 and India?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I moved to India in my thirties dropping a great job, nice apartment, paid-off car and with elderly parents still in the US because of a K1 denial.

Fast forward 3 years and we're here with 2 solidly-decent jobs, 2 cars, a house, and 2 extremely awesome cats. We didn't end up staying as long as we thought due to some extraordinary luck on the immigration side of things but I had committed to moving there permanently if need be.

You have to be flexible with this immigration stuff...or be willing to cut your losses. Well, I guess the third option would be loads of meds - because you'll drive yourself nuts.

OP- try to regroup. Get back to India for both your relationships sake as well as building a better case. Go this time with eyes wide open to what living there is like, that may be what is needed in the interim. I personally loved it there, but I know there are people who don't. Best of luck!

Filed: Timeline

I don't think there's a country/embassy that even blinks at older man younger woman no matter how much the difference. It's just not that big a thing to the world. Even us raise an eyebrow when we say "53 year old woman with 4 grand kids married to 32 year old guy". It's the world we live in.

It's not a matter of "what's right and what's wrong in their eyes." It's a matter of what's "common." Here's how they'll look at it:

1. Is the relationship uncommon in country A in regards to age, culture and religion?

2. Is the relationship uncommon in the US in any respect?

3. Is country A a high fraud country?

4. Have person A and B spent a very limited amount of time together?

If the answer the answer to any of these is Yes, it's not an automatic denial, but it's a reason for them to be more cautious in granting the visa. If the answer to more than one of these questions is yes, it's a definite big red flag.

If a 65 year old American male marries a 30 year old i.e Thai or Filipino female, it's not an uncommon sight at all, so it won't immediately raise eyebrows. I'm not saying the difference in treatment is right, but it is what it is.

The problem is, when marriage fraud schemes try to match up "fiances" they often fall short and in limited supply of "willing and able Americans." If they have five 25 year old Indian males willing to pay for a K1 visa, they also have to match them up with 5 unmarried American women, and more often than not, they're unable to find 5 American women in the same age group willing and/or able, so they just match them up with anyone and hope it'll go unnoticed. In addition, when these "fiances" meet, they'll just meet as a formality to fill the requirement, but not have any interest, desire or ability to spend large amounts of time in the beneficiary's country. That's why 'uncommon' = red flag. And unfortunately, it's the legitimate couples who are the victims.

The only thing that is similar in our case is that we are both an interracial couple.

Same here. But that's not necessarily a red flag at all, only in cases where it would be considered "uncommon" or somehow culturally/socially unacceptable in that country would it raise flags.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: Timeline

Since I couldn't edit my post anymore..

1. Is it completely unheard of in the US for an American male/female to marry and Indian?

2. Is it completely unheard of in India for an Indian male/female to marry an American?

If not, then don't think of it as a red flag.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I moved to India in my thirties dropping a great job, nice apartment, paid-off car and with elderly parents still in the US because of a K1 denial.

Fast forward 3 years and we're here with 2 solidly-decent jobs, 2 cars, a house, and 2 extremely awesome cats. We didn't end up staying as long as we thought due to some extraordinary luck on the immigration side of things but I had committed to moving there permanently if need be.

You have to be flexible with this immigration stuff...or be willing to cut your losses. Well, I guess the third option would be loads of meds - because you'll drive yourself nuts.

OP- try to regroup. Get back to India for both your relationships sake as well as building a better case. Go this time with eyes wide open to what living there is like, that may be what is needed in the interim. I personally loved it there, but I know there are people who don't. Best of luck!

if you live in india long enough, you could file directly without the horrible uscis. but it is worth the experience. i would like to move to china for a few years but my job involves helping many elderly patients indirectly is very important at the moment. otherwise i would just live in china for a few years.

"Family time is very precious and you should cherish every moment of it."

01/20/12 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/26/12 - NOA1 received and processing at Vermont.

06/28/12 - NOA2 announced on status check.

06/29/12 - NVC received case learned on 07/2/12.

06/30/12 - Hard copy NOA2 received.

07/09/12 - NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued.

07/16/12 - Receive and Sent DS-3032 via email.

07/17/12 - Mailed DS-3032 via mail, AOS bill received via email, paid online, Optin email sent.

07/18/12 - Optin accepted and new case number, AOS marked paid, emailed AOS packet.

07/24/12 - Assigned as Agent, IV Fee bill received via email, paid online.

07/25/12 - IV Fee marked paid, emailed IV packet.

07/31/12 - Emailed GZO Supplemental Packet 3.

08/02/12 - Case completed and commenced final review.

08/03/12 - Shipped all copies of forms/letters/documents to my wife - arriving on 8/9/12.

08/06/12 - Case completed final review.

08/09/12 - Appointment letter received via email interview date set 9/6/12.

08/14/12 - Medical exam done.

08/15/12 - Medical exam results all normal.

09/06/12 - Submitted required documents at the embassy and interview set next day at 0730.

09/07/12 - Visa approved, click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=10401 .

09/14/12 - Visa received on hand!

10/07/12 - Arrived at NYC! click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=15293

10/20/12 - Received welcome letter from USCIS.

10/25/12 - Green Card received!

"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions." - Sun-Tzu

04/27/13 - Submitted DS-160 online for parent-in-laws and sister-in-law.

05/01/13 - Paid DS-160 or MRV Fee Payments on CGI Stanley.

05/03/13 - Made appointment for 05/16/13 on CGI Stanley.

05/16/13 - Arrived at GUZ and impromptu notice on the front it was closed.

05/30/13 - B2 visa interview passed! Read review here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433263-b2-visa-was-approved-for-parentinlaw/ <p>

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." - ADM Hyman G. Rickover

08/08/14 - Mailed I-175 application.

08/11/14 - I-175 arrived at VSC.

08/18/14 - Received NOA1 with date 08/12/14.

08/27/14 - Received biometrics appointment for 09/09/14.

02/27/15 - GC in production from email notification.

03/02/15 - Received NOA2 with approval dated 02/25/15.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

The problem is, when marriage fraud schemes try to match up "fiances" they often fall short and in limited supply of "willing and able Americans." If they have five 25 year old Indian males willing to pay for a K1 visa, they also have to match them up with 5 unmarried American women, and more often than not, they're unable to find 5 American women in the same age group willing and/or able, so they just match them up with anyone and hope it'll go unnoticed. In addition, when these "fiances" meet, they'll just meet as a formality to fill the requirement, but not have any interest, desire or ability to spend large amounts of time in the beneficiary's country. That's why 'uncommon' = red flag. And unfortunately, it's the legitimate couples who are the victims.

good.gif

I agree with this 100%. There are plenty of twenty-something year old Indian males perusing the internet in search of unsuspecting vulnerable American women whom they can scam for a quick ticket to the U.S. It's common enough today that COs will look at out of the norm cases through very suspicious eyes. Online meetings, significant age differences, minimal time meeting face to face all throw up more indications that this relationship is a scam and is only seeking immigration benefits. The more the relationship veers from a typical relationship in India, the more your relationship will be scrutinized.

It's important to step back and look at your relationship from an outsider's perspective. It was hard for us to do this and VJ has helped a lot in that regard.

I completely agree with previous member's posts who have suggested going to India for some time and building your relationship with your fiance. It's not the easiest decision to undertake by any means, but we all must make sacrifices in such complex relationships. I suggest preparing yourselves now for a back-up plan, in the event that a visa to the U.S. is not a possibility. IMO, India is an amazing country. I enjoy every second I spend there with my fiance and would be up for moving if things did not work in our favor for immigrating to the U.S.

Edited by AKSinghSingh79

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

if you live in india long enough, you could file directly without the horrible uscis.

The section of your statement I put in bold is not correct. Petitions that are filed at overseas locations (where available) are filed at USCIS field offices and adjudicated by USCIS personnel before a visa interview by consular personnel takes place. USCIS field offices are typically housed on the grounds of an Embassy or Consulate.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

He did not state any opinions, just facts pertinent to the case.

Actually he didn't. The OP was not married before, so there was no 'previous marriage'.

Our Journey

6/6/2007 Met online

12/05/2007 Realized I was nuts about him!

01/19/2008 Confessed...and he felt the same <3

05/01/2008 Met in person in Chicago

5/2008-5/2010 Umpteen visits between Ireland and US

6/19/2010 Got married!

04/06/2012 Finally able to send paperwork for AOS!

(Day 1)04/11/2012 Papers arrived at Chicago lockbox and signed for.

(Day 3)04/13/2012 Email confirmations!

(Day 7)04/17/2012 NOA hard copies received.

(Day 10)04/20/2012 Biometrics appt received for 05/07/2012

(Day 27)05/07/2012 Biometrics

(Day 65)06/15/2012 EAD approval email

(Day 69)06/19/2012 Interview notice!!! 07/24/2012!!

(Day 75)06/25/2012 EAD arrives.

(Day 104)07/24/2012 Interview in Atlanta....Approved!!!

Expecting a baby boy 8/9/2013!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

There is an assumption on this board that some people are Gods on this message board.I am not drinking that Kool aid.Just because you have a bunch of fancy squares below your name doesnt mean you know what you are talking about. All too often people make snide remarks because they think they know everything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It's not a matter of "what's right and what's wrong in their eyes." It's a matter of what's "common." Here's how they'll look at it:

1. Is the relationship uncommon in country A in regards to age, culture and religion?

2. Is the relationship uncommon in the US in any respect?

3. Is country A a high fraud country?

4. Have person A and B spent a very limited amount of time together?

If the answer the answer to any of these is Yes, it's not an automatic denial, but it's a reason for them to be more cautious in granting the visa. If the answer to more than one of these questions is yes, it's a definite big red flag.

If a 65 year old American male marries a 30 year old i.e Thai or Filipino female, it's not an uncommon sight at all, so it won't immediately raise eyebrows. I'm not saying the difference in treatment is right, but it is what it is.

Well said. Ha full disclosure I am that 53 year old grandma with 32 year old husband. Yes we know what we are in for (NOW), and believe we have all red flags addressed and have countered with much evidence and face time and not doing what really raises the red flag,

1.Like marrying first visit soon as you arrive than leaving (we didn't).

2. Long courtship before meet and after face to face.

3. 6 months together. 6 weeks before wedding, 4 months after.

4. Family acceptance and powerful statements from his mum who we lived with the entire 6 months.

I know there will still be questions. But i think we will be okay. More visits to come more parties and more ceremonies before interview time.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.