GJen

carrying greencard everywhere?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hey everyone

For those who are Greencard holders!.. do you really carry your greencard with you everywhere? I know it says you MUST carry it everywhere cuz its the law! but after checking how much it would cost me to replace one in case of lost im kind of doubting if I should carry it with me!..

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey everyone

For those who are Greencard holders!.. do you really carry your greencard with you everywhere? I know it says you MUST carry it everywhere cuz its the law! but after checking how much it would cost me to replace one in case of lost im kind of doubting if I should carry it with me!..

In todays current climate you should carry it everywhere, especially if you live in Arizona, Ga, Cali, or anywhere within 150 miles of a US Border. Better safe than sorry. If you get pulled over for a routine traffic citation and run into a vigilante cop you could end up missing for a couple days without it, makes no sense to take the risk.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

you might want to check out this thread which might help you make a decision either way... http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/312019-must-she-carry-her-green-card-daily/

I look at it this way....not carrying it is against the law. Do you want one of the first things you do to be breaking the law??? Its up to you....but hubby carries his ALL the time.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

you might make a copy of it like we have to make of our passport when we travel so you have the information on it.

and get it laminated if is it not already done. protects it

I carry a colored photocopy with me all the time as advised by other VJ members. I'm too scared to carry it with me all the time.. Also, get a drivers license since that could also be used as a valid ID and would prove that you are resident of that state. :) I will take my test for it soon!!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I carry a colored photocopy with me all the time as advised by other VJ members. I'm too scared to carry it with me all the time.. Also, get a drivers license since that could also be used as a valid ID and would prove that you are resident of that state. :) I will take my test for it soon!!

I'm with messy here. I will be (though I've been lazy about it) carrying a coloured photocopy. I don't currently carry anything except my Iowa drivers licence. It's ridiculous to risk it in my opinion, just like people who don't like carrying their passports around but technically you're supposed to as a visitor. Better to keep it locked up safe. If I'm too far away from it i would carry it (for instance if I went to Chicago - 3 hours away - I would probably take it but I would be nervous the entire time!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Here we go yet again... VJ members recommending breaking the law. Follow the law.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey everyone

My wife never carries her GC. She has fer state driver's license and carries that; that is what is normally used as a form of ID.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here we go yet again... VJ members recommending breaking the law. Follow the law.

I agree completely.

Never EVER drive above the posted speed limit and never ever make a colour photocopy of your green card while the original is locked in a safe place.

I trust that this advice will receive the attention that it deserves.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Thanks everybody!

I know it is against the law but to be honest I dont think they will ever stop me for documentation around here .. in almost 1 year here in GA I havent been stopped... and I live in a small town so .. I hope it wont ever happen!... I think I will just carry my license...

to be honest I feel like there is a 1 % chance that they will stop me.. and a 99% chance I will lose my greencard lol.... and Im serious about that because after 2 days of having my NEW LICENSE.. I Lost it! lol.. but yeah.. anything thank you all for your help

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Okay, I asked the same question two weeks ago and most people said not to keep it with you at all times. This was one of the responses I got:

"That's right, the law is the law, and don't you ever forget it!

Just one question: where does a Green Card holder carry his Green Card on him "at all times" when having sex, taking a shower, or going for a swim on the beach? If you can answer that to me, I will give you a thumbs up cookie!

If you want two cookies, however, you'll have to answer where a gay, yet law-abiding Green Card holder having sex with another man should carry his Green Card if he cannot assert it into any body cavity and also doesn't want his sex partner to know that he's a foreigner, meaning he cannot have it dangling on a chain around his neck?

If you can't answer that successfully (I can't), then you have proven that mindless obedience without switching on the brain, like it was the case during the Nazi regime, only gets people in trouble. It would consequently suggest to use common sense where common sense makes sense and leave the Green Card where it belongs: at the safest place at home."

LOL. I personally still won't be carrying it around unless I leave the state..

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

you might make a copy of it like we have to make of our passport when we travel so you have the information on it.

and get it laminated if is it not already done. protects it

Please don't give advise if you do not have personal experience or have at least researched the matter at hand. The greencard is already "laminated." The fact that you don't know tells me you have never seen one, and therefore have not been told the rules about it.

Furthermore, if it weren't "laminated," you are suggesting tampering with a federally issued document which is AGAINST THE LAW and would render the document invalid. For instance, if you laminate your Social Security Card, it is no longer valid.

And to the OP - My husband carries his with him all the time. You don't have a wallet? ;) Best of luck!

And to Messybrownhair, you are supposed to carry it with you when you are not at home in your own property! ;) Not when taking a shower, silly :)

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Please don't give advise if you do not have personal experience or have at least researched the matter at hand. The greencard is already "laminated." The fact that you don't know tells me you have never seen one, and therefore have not been told the rules about it.

Furthermore, if it weren't "laminated," you are suggesting tampering with a federally issued document which is AGAINST THE LAW and would render the document invalid. For instance, if you laminate your Social Security Card, it is no longer valid.

And to the OP - My husband carries his with him all the time. You don't have a wallet? ;) Best of luck!

And to Messybrownhair, you are supposed to carry it with you when you are not at home in your own property! ;) Not when taking a shower, silly :)

Harpa... umm they weren't saying to laminate the actual card, but to laminate the colour photocopy that they carry.

Harpa... umm they weren't saying to laminate the actual card, but to laminate the colour photocopy that they carry.

Ahh, mea culpa then. I'm sorry :blush:

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.