GJen

carrying greencard everywhere?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
And to the OP - My husband carries his with him all the time. You don't have a wallet? ;) Best of luck!

And to Messybrownhair, you are supposed to carry it with you when you are not at home in your own property! ;) Not when taking a shower, silly :)

These paragraphs from Harpa are still spot-on. The Federal government has unlimited time and resources to make our lives miserable, and Federal agents tend to lack a sense of humor and reasonable attitudes. Even a 1% risk of trouble is too much. If you love your foreign spouse, you'll make sure that he or she carries that green card as stated. Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline

And to Messybrownhair, you are supposed to carry it with you when you are not at home in your own property!

Harpa,

calling you out on this one, formally.

The law says "at all times," literally, and that includes times when your husband . . . um . . . hugs you in the shower at an intimate one-one-one session. If you think I'm wrong and you are right, provide me with a source where the Harpa exemption is a recognized or anything where the phrase "supposed to" is mentioned.

If you can't do that, please recognize that the law as it is written is nonsense, utter nonsense, and any resident who obeys it to the letter of the law is . . . um . . . asking for trouble.

I haven't been asked for my Green Card once in 19 years, and I live in SoCal.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Hey everyone

For those who are Greencard holders!.. do you really carry your greencard with you everywhere? I know it says you MUST carry it everywhere cuz its the law! but after checking how much it would cost me to replace one in case of lost im kind of doubting if I should carry it with me!..

The law states the green card has to be carried at all times, so us VJ members should reply by saying 'Yes carry it at all times' It's a very easy answer to give

I would never advise anyone to make a copy then laminate their GC, that is bordering or is forgery.

It is people's responsibility to carry by law what is stated, if you don't well that's on your head.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Harpa,

The law says "at all times," literally, and that includes times when your husband . . . um . . . hugs you in the shower at an intimate one-one-one session. If you think I'm wrong and you are right, provide me with a source where the Harpa exemption is a recognized or anything where the phrase "supposed to" is mentioned.

If you can't do that, please recognize that the law as it is written is nonsense, utter nonsense, and any resident who obeys it to the letter of the law is . . . um . . . asking for trouble.

You are also German (I'm assuming by the flag.)

My friend, who is from Guatemala, was asked for his Green Card by a CBP agent one morning while buying coffee at the convenience store while on his way to work. The problem was, he's a USC so then the CBP asked for his certificate of naturalization. After a bit of discussion, and turning the tables on the CBP by asking if he carried his birth certificate with him, the CBP dropped the issue.

An LPR doesn't have the same legal ground to argue the issue with CBP. My wife will be carrying hers outside the house. The replacement cost is not an issue if it is somehow lost.

Just my $0.02.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

I live in a small college town where everything is 5 minutes away. I guess if I went out-of-town or out-of-state I'll bring it along, but when I go to school or Walmart I don't think I'll be needing it. I have my license, my military ID and my school ID. I keep mine in a safe together with my SS card and passport. My brother lost his GC and it took 5 months to replace it, blah! Plus I look white and I don't really have any recognizable accent. I live walking distance to the police station so the worse that can happen is I walk home to get it or ask my hubby or roomie to bring it to the station.

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Harpa,

The law says it must be "in your possession". The law does not specify whether the possession must be "actual" (i.e., on your person) or "constructive" (i.e., in a place that's under your control, such as in your home or a safe deposit box). However, if we presume the intent of the law is that you can present the card to an immigration officer on demand then we could also presume that "actual" possession is preferred.

I've heard of people being detained when they did not have "actual" possession of their green card, but I've never heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for it if they had "constructive" possession of it; e.g., their spouse could go home and get it for them. If someone actually were prosecuted for not having their green card in their pocket, but instead it was home in a safe or fire box, then I think they'd have a solid defense. "Constructive possession" has been repeatedly held to be equivalent to "actual possession" in criminal cases.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
The law says it must be "in your possession". The law does not specify whether the possession must be "actual" (i.e., on your person) or "constructive" (i.e., in a place that's under your control, such as in your home or a safe deposit box). However, if we presume the intent of the law is that you can present the card to an immigration officer on demand then we could also presume that "actual" possession is preferred.

I've heard of people being detained when they did not have "actual" possession of their green card, but I've never heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for it if they had "constructive" possession of it; e.g., their spouse could go home and get it for them. If someone actually were prosecuted for not having their green card in their pocket, but instead it was home in a safe or fire box, then I think they'd have a solid defense. "Constructive possession" has been repeatedly held to be equivalent to "actual possession" in criminal cases.

This would be a fascinating question to ask an immigration or criminal attorney, or pretty much any CBP agent. Pending a definitive answer, however, one would think that being detained, no matter how briefly (and the need to report the detention during application for the 10-year green card or for citizenship), is to be avoided when possible. Accordingly, it makes sense to keep one's green card in one's actual possession.

Someone who loses a green card can keep a photocopy of the I-90 form in his or her pocket until the replacement card arrives.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Wow so many answers!.. Thank you all!

Ok first of all I do have a wallet but like we all know it is really pricy to get a new one and it takes a while to get a replacement! so I think it would be much safer at home than in my wallet!.. now I was thinking.. since my EAD is stil valid for almost a year!... would it be okay for me to carry my EAD instead? isn't that a way to show them my legal status as well?

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wow so many answers!.. Thank you all!

Ok first of all I do have a wallet but like we all know it is really pricy to get a new one and it takes a while to get a replacement! so I think it would be much safer at home than in my wallet!.. now I was thinking.. since my EAD is stil valid for almost a year!... would it be okay for me to carry my EAD instead? isn't that a way to show them my legal status as well?

An EAD would usually (but not always) serve as proof of lawful presence, but not necessarily proof of status. If your only concern is getting jacked around by a CBP or ICE officer then there's little difference between the two. On the other hand, if you're going to a state or federal government office for some sort of official business then the difference might be critical. Some states will accept an EAD as proof of lawful presence. Some states (Virginia, for example) will not.

The point is that an EAD is issued to someone who does not have a green card, and it becomes invalid when your adjustment of status is approved. By presenting an EAD you're essentially telling someone that you're lawfully present in the US, but that you're NOT an LPR. This might invite more trouble than it's worth. A CBP officer, for example, might want to verify that your EAD is valid, in spite of the expiration date. When it comes back as being invalid because a green card was issued then the CBP officer will probably want to see some other form of ID just to make sure you didn't pull the now-invalid EAD out of someone's trash can.

If you're only going to carry one piece of identification then you're better off carrying your green card.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

The only times I've used the green card have been for entering and leaving the country, and buying alcohol (mostly at airports).

A green card holder is supposed to carry the card always with them. So just make a photocopy of your card for your safe or backup, to carry in emergency if the real one (with your wallet I guess) is stolen or lost.

Then, as soon as applicable, become a citizen so that you don't have to carry federal IDs at your person at all times. A state approved one will do then.

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Guinea
Timeline

I know this is an old thread, but here is my two cents. We went today for my wife's GC interview. At the end of the interview, the IO told us that my wife's case was approved and then proceeded to give us information and advice. One thing that the IO said was to photocopy the GC and write on the back of the photocopy where we stored the original GC. The IO stated that the GC is too expensive and that this is the advice that is given to everybody that this IO meets.

Take it for what it is worth. :)

Up until today, I have carried my GC with me at all times. Then again, I am SUPER protective of my wallet. I might change my tactic, not sure though.

Life is GREAT! SMILE! smile.png

I-130 Approved July 2013 (PD Dec 2011)

AOS DBVB

07/30/2013 - AOS packet sent via Express mail (I-485, I-131, I-765)

08/01/2013 (day 1) - Delivered to USCIS Chicago

08/06/2013 (day 6 ) - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation emails. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail.

08/08/2013 (day 8 ) - Checks cashed

08/10/2013 (day 10) - Received 3 NOA's by mail (I-485, I-131, I-765)

08/16/2013 (day 16 ) - NOA for Biometrics appointment. Date set for 08/28/2013

08/19/2013 (day 19) - Successful walk-in Biometrics

08/28/2013 (day 28) - Biometrics appointment (Original)

9/11/2013 (day 42) - I-485 status online changed to "testing & interview"

9/26/2013 (day 57) - EAD status online changed to "card production", I-131 approved.

9/30/2013 (day 61) - EAD/AP card production ordered

10/04/2013 (day 65) - EAD/AP card mailed

10/07/2013 (day 68) - EAD/AP card received. *USCIS spelling error on card so they will have to redo the card.

10/16/2013 (day 77) - EAD/AP card mailed back to USCIS due to USCIS spelling error on card.

11/23/2013 (day 115) - EAD/AP card received with correct name.

01/02/2014 (day 155) - I-485 status showing the interview date updated - Interview on Feb 4, 2014.

01/04/2014 (day 157 ) - Received NOA about the interview appointment on Feb 4, 2014

02/04/2014 (day 187) - Interview @ SLC

02/04/2014 (day 187) - I-485 Approved

02/13/2014 (day 197 ) - Green Card Received (10 Year GC)

--------------------------

Citizenship [bB]

08/17/2015 - N-400 packet sent via Express mail

08/19/2015 (day 2) - Delivered to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

08/20/2015 (day 3) - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation emails. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail.

08/25/2015 (day 8) - Received NOA by mail

08/29/2015 (day 12) - NOA for Biometrics appointment. Date set for 09/08/2015

09/01/2015 (day 15) - Successful walk-in Biometrics @ a different location

12/17/2015 (day 123) - In line for interview

12/21/2015 (day 127) - Interview scheduled

12/24/2015 (day 130) - Interview letter received with interview date of Jan 27, 2016

01/27/2016 (day 164) - N400 Interview--Application approved.

02/07/2016 (day 175) - Oath ceremony letter arrived.Oath scheduled for 02/18/2016

02/18/2018 (day 186) - Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.