tammy_sheldon

He wants a divorce without AOS

90 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I just got married and we have not applied for AOS yet. So my husbands I-94 just expired...he went to stay with his cousin in Florida while I looked for a new house and while he was waiting to work we figured he could get some visiting done. Since he's been there he's changed...he goes out and partys he's mean to me on the phone and he's been nonstop txting a girl he met at a club (I know cuz he told me but he said he'd stop and hasn't) last night he said he wanted to be a free man meaning he wanted a divorce and he would stay in Florida...so here's my question people...because he's still in the country on an expired visa if we get divorced without filing AOS he needs to leave, right? Can I call immigration and give them the address and have him removed? Or I am going down to talk about it with him next week and I know he is now drinking and driving without a license often... CAn I take the license number and call him in that way? I'll be damned if he cets to use me to get here and then cheats on me and leaves....PLEASE ANY ADVICE WELCOME!

Filed: Timeline

Hi Tammy -- sorry you're having to go through all this.:angry:

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

I just got married and we have not applied for AOS yet. So my husbands I-94 just expired...he went to stay with his cousin in Florida while I looked for a new house and while he was waiting to work we figured he could get some visiting done. Since he's been there he's changed...he goes out and partys he's mean to me on the phone and he's been nonstop txting a girl he met at a club (I know cuz he told me but he said he'd stop and hasn't) last night he said he wanted to be a free man meaning he wanted a divorce and he would stay in Florida...so here's my question people...because he's still in the country on an expired visa if we get divorced without filing AOS he needs to leave, right? Can I call immigration and give them the address and have him removed? Or I am going down to talk about it with him next week and I know he is now drinking and driving without a license often... CAn I take the license number and call him in that way? I'll be damned if he cets to use me to get here and then cheats on me and leaves....PLEASE ANY ADVICE WELCOME!

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would pick up the pieces and call ICE and tell them he entered the country under fraudulent pretences and that you are no longer getting married. He has no choice but to leave he CAN'T be working legally as a K-1 cannot work legally without an EAD so he just used you. My thoughts are with you and sorry you have wasted the time, money and effort. File for an anullment of the marriage as that may be a simpler than a divorce.

Edited by BokkieandGuapo

Good Afternoon Tammy,

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Reading this breaks my heart...I remember you when you were going through the process...I know that people have went through it all seems like on VJ...let me see if I can find you a link or something to get you going in the right direction. Once again, I am so sorry to hear this.

Removal of Conditions Journey

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/02/2012-Packaged arrived at Vermont Service Center-Signed by D. Renaud

04/05/2012- check cashed

04/07/2012- Recvd NOA in mail dated 04/03/2012

05/14/12-Biometrics Appointment- Completed

12/31/12-Production of card ordered text/email

mjnrabxt.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
:wow: sorry to hear this.......

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: Country:
Timeline

To answer your question: No you can't force him to leave the country but yes he will be deportable. You could report his whereabouts to ICE after the divorce/annulment is final.

Also, since he entered on a K-1 the only way he can Adjust Status without you is VAWA Claim so keep copies of all communications from him and notify ICE once the divorce is filed. Be sure to give them copies of anything that shows he left on his own without abuse.

Even if he marries another US Citizen he will be required to leave the US in order to adjust status.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You should file for divorce or annulment and you should call AND write to USCIS and inform them about divorce and no intention to AOS. Divorced without AOS, he is illegally present as soon as his I-94 expired. As he came on K-1 he will not be able to adjust his status based on marriage to someone else. As he will not have employment authorization, he will not be able to find a job legally, and he will not be able to travel internationally due to lack of Advance Parole.

You should also take his name off any joint accounts that you added him to.

As far as ICE goes - that he changed his mind and wants a divorce is not fraud in itself. You could call ICE and report him being illegally present, but I would think that would do good only if he does not leave the US after divorce or if you have a solid proof of fraud on hand.

I know he is now drinking and driving without a license often... CAn I take the license number and call him in that way?

If he has no license, what license number are you planning to take?

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Harboring unforgiveness and anger against someone will ultimately do far more harm to your body and soul than the pain he's already caused you. I urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to try very hard to understand him as just another sad, twisted, broken, fallen human [just as we all are] and to find a way to forgive him who trespasses against you, just as we are forgiven our trespasses.

Lots of good technical advice in this thread, but this is also important. I think you'll find the paperwork/phone calls ahead of you much more tolerable if you approach them in a business-like manner, with a sense of forgiveness in your heart. Try to think about the persons in the future who may be similarly scammed by him. Any steps you take to legally correct this situation may save someone else the same heartache you're going through.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

First, I am SO sorry you're going through this but there are a couple of things you should be aware of:

1. You can't get him deported, but divorcing him means he has no basis to adjust his status EXCEPT to file assault charges against you and file for VAWA

2. IF you go and see him you need to make sure you are never alone with him so that he can't accuse you of assault and file for VAWA

3. You can call ICE and report him being out of status (while married to you this is pointless) and living at X address but more importantly you need to make sure they're aware you're divorcing him for cheating on you because if he makes his VAWA claim there's this record of you calling AGES before he claimed abuse and they're less likely to believe him

On the relationship front you need to decide whether or not you will take him back. What if he tells you he was just scared and what not? Will you trust he's telling the truth or will you assume he's saying that so you AOS him? AOSing him means you are signing the affidavit of support. Once he gets his GC there's nothing stopping him from leaving you, and nothing making him leave. He can ROC without you. So the choice is yours. Do you take the chance that he's just scared, or trying to fit in with his friends (my ex used to be completely different when around his friends to how he was when it was just us.. that includes when on the phone with me around his friends)... or you do you play it "safe" and divorce him... knowing you could be wrong and he could just be being stupid right now.

I was so scared in the beginning when I first arrived here. Worried after reading these sorts of stories on VJ that if Tony had have been different to what I was used to I would have left. I know that sounds so pathetic because I do love him and I wish I could say that I was strong enough but I was putting SO much faith in the big move that a little hurdle would have been hard to deal with but a BIG hurdle, like cheating, would have meant I definitely left.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Oooh, yes.

You could call the local police department and tell them that you worry about your husbands drunk driving habit and give them his cousin's license plate and car description :devil: But, will they search for him and stop him? Probably not until they accidentally see him running a stop sign or speeding.

The car he always drives, it's his cousins but he likes to drive when they go out and he's drunk when he does

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Cancel any joint accounts, remove him from any joint account you have, change all locks immediately, file for divorce, file a retraining order so he can't go VAWA route, call USCIS and explain that you've been scammed by this mofo. No AOS, no Green Card, he will never be able to adjust status with another person as long as he live in the US. Only one DUI and end of story.

I knew this guy that was illegal here, couldn't stay outside of a nightclub, he got a DUI and was deported 6 months after detention.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You CAN divorce him. And you can report him to USCIS. After that, you have no say or control over him. If USCIS wants to deport himk that is their decision....he should leave but doesn't have to.....it's his life...cut him totally loose and move on with your life.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.