crede

Fiance wont LEAVE!!!!

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Exactly! You would be denied at the interview! Why? Coz your fiancé needs your support while in the USA!!! So if you sign it, it means you accept to support him/her, that's why I doubt you can so easily leave him/her in the streets if you change your mind. You will probably have to prove WHY you kicked her/him out and not ALWAYS this will be solved in your favor!

I did not need my Fiancee's support.

I am sure that applies to many if not most on here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I did not need my Fiancee's support.

I am sure that applies to many if not most on here.

Are you saying in your case I-134 was not filed and signed?

USCIS journey
07/30/2010 I-130 sent
08/13/2010 NOA1
11/02/2010 Transferred to TSC
01/13/2011 NOA2 (approved in 5 months and 2 days since NOA1)
01/21/2011 Received hard copy of NOA2

USCIS journey completed in 155 days [165 days since priority date]

02/08/2011 TSC shipped approved petition to NVC

NVC journey (after 1 months and 5 days since approval)
02/17/2011 NVC case number assigned & invoice number given
02/18/2011 Emailed DS-3032
02/23/2011 Paid AOS
02/24/2011 DS-3032 accepted, received confirmation email.
02/24/2011 AOS fee marked as PAID
02/25/2011 AOS package sent
02/25/2011 IV fee invoiced and paid
02/28/2011 IV marked as paid, IV package sent
03/15/2011 SIF!!!
03/16/2011 Case complete!
03/25/2011 Interview date assigned
04/11/2011 Medical- DONE!!!!

05/10/2011 Interview - approved!

05/12/2011 Visa received by courier
06/06/2011 POE Dublin
07/05/2011 Welcome letter received
07/25/2011 Received GREEN CARD!

08/01/2011 Social security by mail

11/09/2011 Driver licence in hand! Wooo hooo wink.png

ROC
15/04/2013 ROC docs sent to Vermont

03/05/2013 NOA1 received

05/10/2013 Biometrics letter received

Timeline

Whether one was signed or not does not matter.

My Fiancee did not file one for me.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Your fiancee (now ex-fiancee I assume) is legally entitled to remain in the US for 90 days. Following that she begins to accrue out-of-status days. She has NO legal recourse to stay in the States unless she 1. marries you, or 2. accuses you of abuse and tries to AOS that way (I'm not sure if you need to be married before she can try VAWA, I don't think so but someone will correct me).

I don't believe that the immigrant has to have actually married a USC, just has to prove abuse that the hands of him. Honestly I think it's a moot point because she can still make the accusations in a futile attempt and if she is convincing enough his life will suffer from it regardless of her immigration outcome.

The OP should cut all contact ASAP...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I agree with skynaut. I-134 should be binding and once USC apply for K1, he/she should be responsible for fiancee/wife. Also, fiancee should automatically get 50/50 if USC change mind. VAWA is a really good law for helpless fiancee if people change their mind and not apply for greencard.

VAWA is the Violence Against Women Act. It is not "the things didn't work out between us and I want 50% of your assets act"

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

I agree with skynaut. I-134 should be binding and once USC apply for K1, he/she should be responsible for fiancee/wife. Also, fiancee should automatically get 50/50 if USC change mind. VAWA is a really good law for helpless fiancee if people change their mind and not apply for greencard.

This is so far one of he worse statement that I have read in VJ. A fiancée/fiancé getting 50/50? VAWA to be used if the USC changes his/her mind? Are you serious? Have u any idea what you are talking about?

K1-K2 Visas Journey

(Day 1) 05/23/07: Packet sent to CSC

(Day 247) 01/25/08: Interview. Approved!

(Day 254) 02/01/08: Visas Received.

AOS Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 04/20/08: Application sent.

(Day 73) 07/02/08: EAD,AP Approved!

(Day 108) 08/05/08: AOS Approved!

(Day 114) 08/11/08: 2 years GC received.

ROC Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 05/09/10: Application sent.

(Day 129) 09/14/10: ROC Approved!

(Day 135) 09/20/10: 10 years GC received.

Naturalization Journey

(Day 1) 10/02/11: Application sent.

(Day 122) 01/31/12: Interview. PASSED!

(Day 125) 02/03/12: Oath Ceremony. Done!

End of our Journey:

Daughter and I became U.S. Citizens on 02/03/2012.

(Day 1) 02/09/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card.

(Day 16) 02/24/12: Passport received.

(Day 19) 02/27/12: Passport Card received.

(Day 24) 03/03/12: Got CoN back.

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 1) 02/04/12: Application sent.

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

In the US men and women are seen as equals. The age of "Leave it to Beaver" is long gone. Obviously some countries provide classes on how to scam American men by making false claims of violence, ruin the man's life, and TRY to take everything he has. Won't work, suggest you advise your "instructor" to update on US divorce laws and to stop advising women that she can apply for VAWA if the marriage doesn't work out.

Wow this is way off topic.

My original advise still stands, be nice but firm. Sounds like she took the same class as vietbride.

VAWA is the Violence Against Women Act. It is not "the things didn't work out between us and I want 50% of your assets act"

:rofl:

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

Package received by CSC 6-14-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Biometrics letter received 7-6-2010 dated 7-01-2010

Biometrics appointment 7-23-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview letter recieved 10-13-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Approved and approval letter given at interview 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

skynaut, the I-134 is little more than a cover letter - an easy way to summarize the sponsor's financial situation for the consulate. What they want is evidence that the petitioner or a co-sponsor will be qualified and willing to sign an I-864 when it comes time for the alien to file for adjustment of status. Some consulates don't even require an I-134, but still require a copy of the petitioner's most recent tax return.

It helps to understand that the US government's only concern is whether the alien will become a public charge. Everything related to the affidavit of support falls directly under the "public charge" section of the INA, and the policy manuals used by USCIS and the consulates. They don't give a hoot if the alien ends up homeless and begging for change on a freeway ramp - as long as the US taxpayers aren't supporting them. They also don't care if the US citizen petitioner is supporting them. Even the I-864 draws a line - the US government can sue the sponsor if the immigrant collects means tested benefits, but the immigrant has to sue the sponsor if they aren't being supported. The US government isn't going to force the sponsor to support the immigrant, or sue the sponsor for support on behalf of the immigrant. The I-864 requires the sponsor to support the immigrant, but lays the responsibility for enforcing the support obligation squarely on the shoulders of the immigrant.

I haven't seen any case of the US government attempting to enforce an I-134 affidavit of support since Congress passed the Illegal Immigration Act of 1996. They aren't particularly worried about K1's who don't marry the petitioner after coming to the US. As a non-immigrant, the only means tested benefit they would be eligible for is emergency medical treatment.

vietbride, VAWA can only be used if the applicant is the spouse of a US citizen or LPR, and was abused by their spouse inside the United States. There are a few relatively unusual exceptions to the requirement that the abuse took place in the US, such as if the US citizen/LPR spouse was employed by the US government or a US government contractor abroad. If you go to Saigon and marry a US consular officer, and that consular officer beats you up, then you might have a shot at a VAWA application. If you come to the US as a fiancee and don't get married then it won't matter if they beat you black and blue - you can't use VAWA to get a green card.

You are also not entitled to any of their property until after you marry them, and then you are entitled only to a share of whatever property you BOTH acquire AFTER the marriage. Anything your spouse had before the marriage remains their own property.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I have seen cases where those undocumented have made use of VAWA.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have seen cases where those undocumented have made use of VAWA.

Yes, absolutely! VAWA can be used regardless of how an alien entered the US. In fact, that was one of the main reasons for the immigration related clauses in the act. There were US citizens and LPR's who were apparently holding the lack of legal immigration status over their spouses head as a threat to keep them from reporting the abuse.

However, whether they entered legally or not, they still have to actually be married to the abuser. You can't use VAWA to adjust status because your boyfriend or fiancee beat you up, even if they did it in the US.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Well shoot. Now I know I'm doing it wrong. I should just divorce my husband and get engaged to this other guy... and say it doesn't work out, and get engaged to that other guy, and so on and so forth! I wouldn't have to work another day, if I can just absorb 50% of their assets, right? I mean, I can act pretty well (or at least I hope to think) and claim VAWA.

Maybe I can rub it in harder and file the divorce papers in... COMIC SANS. That'll be fun!

:rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Several inappropriate comments and posts have been removed. Please remember that this is the Immigration forums and not the Off Topic forum when you choose how you will respond to a post. Also - as a reminder, name calling or insults implied or direct are a violation of TOS and unacceptable.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

So basically you are saying that this I-134 means nothing? And the oath that you sign at the end of the document means nothing? And you sign this legal document but it means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and has no legal value??So what's the point signing it? Isn't it just a waste of paper? If you bear no responsibility signing it, so again what's the point signing it? it means you can just bring a person to the USA and then when you change your mind, you can just kick him/her out, make him/her starve and live in the streets and you bear NO RESPONSIBILITY, because you CHANGED your mind and this fact makes I-134 illegal??? I sincerely doubt that!!! And do not tell me about courts, coz every case is different and it depends on many circumstances! And because you are a USC, it doesn't mean you are always 100% right and other person who came on K1 visa is wrong and has no rights while in the USA!

Oath or Affirmation ofSponsor

I acknowledge that I have read "Sponsor andAlien Liability" on Page 2 of the instructions for this form, and am awareof my

responsibilities as a sponsor under the SocialSecurity Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as amended.

I certify under penalty of perjury under UnitedStates law that I know the contents of this affidavit signed by me and that thestatements are

true and correct

listen, there are many different types of people out there... some take their responsibilities seriously and some do not. just becasue they've found a legal loop-hole, bascially the courts dont uphold this document, they consider it just a piece of paper. but some of us take what we sign seriously... our word is our bond and when we speak people know that we are truthful about our promises. that is always a good thing. besides, spending time in court fighting soemthing and then appealing because previous cases have gone another way is NOT a wise way to spend your time or money.

so dont fuss with them because you're both right, differnece is you would sign the document, treat the person decently, and move on in life while they will sign the document and not be truly serious about it then have to fight off a court case from a badly abused ex (i.e. who has been tossed out with nothing in a foreign land, who would have to seek help in this foreign land. how does s/he know where to go or from whom to ask help... that's how they end up with "help groups" that will help them burn you)

maybe there arent many of us out there, but some of us do have compassion and care about people even if the relationship did not work out. they're still human beings and if they are dependent upon you it's just cruelty to throw them out with no resources and no help.

i know EVERYONE was shocked at how i treated my ex (also an american) but to expect soemone who has never lived on their own to just miraculously know how to do laundry, grocery shop, pay bills when they've never been taught this before felt like throwing a baby out and telling it to walk. i wouldnt do that no matter how bad he treated me. sure, i protected myself and ever let him step foot back in the house, and wouldnt take him back when he decided two weeks later it was a mistake to leave :P but never would i throw another human being to the wolves.

just my .02

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.