crede

Fiance wont LEAVE!!!!

70 posts in this topic

The local police don't get involved in giving immigration advice, or advice related to relationships involving an unfaithful partner. Unless there is domestic abuse or some other crime involved, they won't have much of anything to say to him.

Unless he's added her name to the lease or she's paid him rent or in some other way legally established herself as a resident in his home, then she's a guest - he can tell her to leave anytime. They aren't married. If it's his home then he can change the locks. If he's renting then he might need his landlord's permission.

When a petitioner brings a fiancee to the US, the petitioner is legally bound to support her/him. USCIS application is a legally bound document, therefore while his fiancee is in the US she must be under his roof and he's financially responsible for her.

With that said, if you read again my post I did NOT say that the Police should be able to give him immigration advice or any advice related to relationships involving an unfaithful partner. Not sure where you got that from or you're having hallucinations...I wrote that IF things start going wrong (meaning that if violence and abuse start showing up between the two), he should contact the local police station before he makes a stupid move of kicking her out and changing the locks. Depending on where he lives, some local laws may not give him protection since she's legally expected to live under his roof (even though they're not married). That's why he needs to contact the local police station.

Before you reply to any comment, please read and understand the post. Don't make yourself look like a dirtbag by posting a "smart" comment that doesn't sense at all.

USCIS journey
07/30/2010 I-130 sent
08/13/2010 NOA1
11/02/2010 Transferred to TSC
01/13/2011 NOA2 (approved in 5 months and 2 days since NOA1)
01/21/2011 Received hard copy of NOA2

USCIS journey completed in 155 days [165 days since priority date]

02/08/2011 TSC shipped approved petition to NVC

NVC journey (after 1 months and 5 days since approval)
02/17/2011 NVC case number assigned & invoice number given
02/18/2011 Emailed DS-3032
02/23/2011 Paid AOS
02/24/2011 DS-3032 accepted, received confirmation email.
02/24/2011 AOS fee marked as PAID
02/25/2011 AOS package sent
02/25/2011 IV fee invoiced and paid
02/28/2011 IV marked as paid, IV package sent
03/15/2011 SIF!!!
03/16/2011 Case complete!
03/25/2011 Interview date assigned
04/11/2011 Medical- DONE!!!!

05/10/2011 Interview - approved!

05/12/2011 Visa received by courier
06/06/2011 POE Dublin
07/05/2011 Welcome letter received
07/25/2011 Received GREEN CARD!

08/01/2011 Social security by mail

11/09/2011 Driver licence in hand! Wooo hooo wink.png

ROC
15/04/2013 ROC docs sent to Vermont

03/05/2013 NOA1 received

05/10/2013 Biometrics letter received

You might be able to write USCIS asking to retire the Financial support paperwork if you explain the reasons. But seems like you might need to talk to an immigration lawyer, just to avoid getting in trouble later for filing a visa petition and not going through it.

When a petitioner brings a fiancee to the US, the petitioner is legally bound to support her/him. USCIS application is a legally bound document, therefore while his fiancee is in the US she must be under his roof and he's financially responsible for her.

With that said, if you read again my post I did NOT say that the Police should be able to give him immigration advice or any advice related to relationships involving an unfaithful partner. Not sure where you got that from or you're having hallucinations...I wrote that IF things start going wrong (meaning that if violence and abuse start showing up between the two), he should contact the local police station before he makes a stupid move of kicking her out and changing the locks. Depending on where he lives, some local laws may not give him protection since she's legally expected to live under his roof (even though they're not married). That's why he needs to contact the local police station.

Before you reply to any comment, please read and understand the post. Don't make yourself look like a dirtbag by posting a "smart" comment that doesn't sense at all.

Who legally expects him to accommodate her under his roof? Anything signed at the K1 stage (the I-134) is not a legally binding document of financial support. It is used to establish the likelihood of a K1 entrant becoming a public charge. It does not obligate the petitioner to do anything. At this point, the only obligation either have is to get married within 90 days if they want to adjust status based upon the k1 visa used to enter the country. If they were married, perhaps local laws would step in to state that the wife had some claim to resources. But they are not married, the OP has not been specific about which state he lives in and therefore your above statement is very wide reaching and fundamentally without merit....unless there is some blanket US law that obligates one adult to be responsible for another adult to which they have no legal obligation.

You are confusing the I-134 with the I-864 which DOES establish a contractual obligation for the USC to reimburse the government, should their spouse (or ex-spouse) become a public charge.

OP - If you wish to discontinue this relationship then dont marry. After the 90 days has passed, your fiance will have no basis to remain in the country. Whether you cast her out with no money / place to live is a moral dilemma you have to deal with. Not a legal one (unless Skynaut can provide information that suggests otherwise). Be smart, take steps to avoid a VAWA claim by minimizing contact and not spending time alone with her. If she remains in the country after the 90 days, you should report her. Knowingly allowing her to stay illegally could adversely affect you. And adversely affects the immigration process.

Good luck with everything.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Without a familial or court ordered responsibility there is no obligation under US law to support anyone. For example, if your parent's live with you in your house you can throw them out any time you want. He is perfectly within the law to change the locks and not permit her in the home. What he cannot do is prevent her from obtaining her property thus the suggestion that he arrange a date and time for her do so. His bringing her here for immigration and marriage purposes may establish a moral obligation but there is no legal obligation. Without the marriage she is only here legally until the I-94 expires.

Advise her again, in a public place with a witness, that you do not wish to marry her, when and where she can retrieve her property, maybe provide her with information on homeless shelters and/or a ticket home, remind her that she will be in the country out of status when the I-94 expires and that she has NO WAY to obtain a green card without returning home. After you do this call ICE and follow up with a letter informing them that you do not intend to marry.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

IMO , It sounds like the most logical and safe thing to contact USCIS. I can understand not wanting to hurt someone you love even though they have hurt you, but in situations you have to take care of yourself. You don't want her to get wise to the waiver for abuse and start accusing you of things that never happened. Of course when you let them know what is going on, they will know what exact steps you need to take.

8j0g.jpg8j0gm4.png

December 27, 2009 - Wishing each other a blessed 2010. -When we met
February 25- I realize I love this amazing man! (but of course I must see it and feel it in person to know for sure )
June 22, 2010 - The day I first lay eyes on the man that I love.
December 29th 2010- January 6th 2011 - second trip to Morocco, an amazing time with an amazing man. He tells me I am everything he needs and more and hopes that he is the same for me... of course!! I accept his proposal and we are engaged!
October 2011 - So very much in love still, can't wait to see him in December
December 22nd,2011- January 9th 2012 - What a wonderful time, we had an engagement ceremony, and finally we decided it was time to start filling out some papers! Hoping to send it off in late March !
December 27th, 2012 - January 14th, 2013- My girls and I visit my Sweet Bread and have a wonderful vacation with all of the family, including my uncle!

November 12, 2013 - I-129f mailed! Finally!

November 21, 2013- NOA1 !

February 27th, 2014 NOA2 !

March 18th, 2014 NVC RECEIVED!

April 23rd, 2014 INTERVIEW !!! God-Willing we will be in each others arms soon! God Bless!!

April 24th, 2014 Find out we were in AP, 2 weeks later he is called back to the Consulate...

May 8th, 2014 Hicham is given a 221g at the Consulate and told that the petition has been sent back to USCIS. :( HEARTBROKEN. Yet, determined to convince them.

September 29th, 2015 MARRIED.

June 2015- Still madly in love, and madly missing each other.

September 29th, 2015 Mailed CR-1 Petition.

October 1st 2015 NOA-1

December 2nd 2015, Notice of Action- Transferred to Local office in Arlington, VA

The Journey continues....... missing each other like crazy!

Still, God Bless.

Thank you for letting me share my story smile.png
HichamRainbow2.pngloveforeverpng.pngPicture0006.png

"You'll know then that I am God. No one who hopes in me ever regrets it." Isaiah 49:23

Who legally expects him to accommodate her under his roof? Anything signed at the K1 stage (the I-134) is not a legally binding document of financial support. It is used to establish the likelihood of a K1 entrant becoming a public charge. It does not obligate the petitioner to do anything. At this point, the only obligation either have is to get married within 90 days if they want to adjust status based upon the k1 visa used to enter the country. If they were married, perhaps local laws would step in to state that the wife had some claim to resources. But they are not married, the OP has not been specific about which state he lives in and therefore your above statement is very wide reaching and fundamentally without merit....unless there is some blanket US law that obligates one adult to be responsible for another adult to which they have no legal obligation.

You are confusing the I-134 with the I-864 which DOES establish a contractual obligation for the USC to reimburse the government, should their spouse (or ex-spouse) become a public charge.

OP - If you wish to discontinue this relationship then dont marry. After the 90 days has passed, your fiance will have no basis to remain in the country. Whether you cast her out with no money / place to live is a moral dilemma you have to deal with. Not a legal one (unless Skynaut can provide information that suggests otherwise). Be smart, take steps to avoid a VAWA claim by minimizing contact and not spending time alone with her. If she remains in the country after the 90 days, you should report her. Knowingly allowing her to stay illegally could adversely affect you. And adversely affects the immigration process.

Good luck with everything.

Ellie-and-David,

Despite the fact that the Affidavit of Support I-134 is intended to promise the USCIS that the beneficiary will not be a public charge while in the US until he/she becomes a US Citizen, it doesn't relieve the petitioner of his/her financial obligation towards the beneficiary. One cannot pretend to bring a fiancee to the US to later abandon her/him during the 90 days period and absolutely expecting no responsibility. It's assumed that the beneficiary will most likely become a public charge once abandoned during the 90 day period. Do not fool yourself, in believing that there will be no accountability. Signing an I-134 Affadavit of Support is a ten-year commitment to take care of all financial expenses.Should the beneficiary (fiancee) intentionally be abandoned during the 90 days period while in the US and let's say she/he gets, in the meanwhile, hospitalized the petitioner cannot simply say that he/she is not responsible for expenses. The petitioner is always legally responsible until the beneficiary naturalizes (becomes a USC), can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work, depart the United States permanently, or die. Any doubt, please consult an Immigration lawyer. When you sign the Affidavit of Support, you are taking oath, under the US law, affirming that you'll be a financial sponsor.

USCIS journey
07/30/2010 I-130 sent
08/13/2010 NOA1

02/23/2011 Paid AOS
03/15/2011 SIF!!!

06/06/2011 POE Dublin

ROC

03/05/2013 NOA1 received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Nope. The only "legally bound" document (not technically correct, but I understand what you mean) that contains anything resembling a binding contract is the I-134, which has repeatedly been struck down in court as unenforceable. The failure of the I-134 to stand up to legal scrutiny resulted in the US Congress amending the INA in 1996, adding section 213A which spelled out the requirements for a legally enforceable affidavit of support. INS (which is now USCIS) complied by providing the I-864 affidavit of support, and stopped using the I-134. Foreign consulates still use the I-134 because it's a convenient way to summarize the financial status of a sponsor, but they usually don't require an enforceable affidavit of support for a non-immigrant visa, which is what a K visa is.

If your comment about going to the police was specifically about getting legal advice about whether or not to kick her out or change his locks then you should be more specific. You said "if things start going wrong", which at this point only involves her immigration status and her infidelity, which are not matters for the police. If he needs legal advice then he should consult a lawyer. Police don't generally enforce laws regarding tenant's rights, and might not be well trained to give advice in that area.

There is no legal requirement that he allow her to live in his home. As I said before, unless he has taken some action that would allow her to claim to be a resident of the home - adding her to the lease or accepting rent money - then her status in his home is "guest". He can demand she leave anytime. You have every right to disagree with me (except for calling me "dirtbag"), but you should make sure what you're saying is correct, and be prepared to back it up with facts.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ellie-and-David,

Despite the fact that the Affidavit of Support I-134 is intended to promise the USCIS that the beneficiary will not be a public charge while in the US until he/she becomes a US Citizen, it doesn't relieve the petitioner of his/her financial obligation towards the beneficiary. One cannot pretend to bring a fiancee to the US to later abandon her/him during the 90 days period and absolutely expecting no responsibility. It's assumed that the beneficiary will most likely become a public charge once abandoned during the 90 day period. Do not fool yourself, in believing that there will be no accountability. Signing an I-134 Affadavit of Support is a ten-year commitment to take care of all financial expenses.Should the beneficiary (fiancee) intentionally be abandoned during the 90 days period while in the US and let's say she/he gets, in the meanwhile, hospitalized the petitioner cannot simply say that he/she is not responsible for expenses. The petitioner is always legally responsible until the beneficiary naturalizes (becomes a USC), can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work, depart the United States permanently, or die. Any doubt, please consult an Immigration lawyer. When you sign the Affidavit of Support, you are taking oath, under the US law, affirming that you'll be a financial sponsor.

The I 134 is not legally enforceable, we need not really go beyond that.

There are no assumptions.

As a single individual without status of effectively a visitor you would be hard pushed to name any benefits she would qualify for. As a PR there would not be many, usually children have to be involved.

It is not free ticket, nor is the I 864 for that matter. The latter is at least legally binding.

Hospitals are private institutions, he has no responsibility for her medical bills.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The I-134 is not legally binding.

Federal courts have consistently found that Form 1-134 is not a legally enforceable contract against a sponsor by a sponsored immigrant. See, e.g., Tornheim v. Kohn, 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 27914, No. 00 CV 5084(SJ), 2002 WL 482534, at *1, *5 (E.D.N.Y. Mar. 26, 2002) (finding that because defendant signed the affidavit of support on Form 1-134, instead of on Form I-864, defendant had not signed a legally binding contract).

I think the one that you're thinking of skynaut is the I-864, which is legally binding for the times you listed. Though that one doesn't come into play until the AOS, after the marriage.

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My fiance arrived in the US about a month ago on a K1 visa. Since her arrival things have gone DOWN HILL!. I found out she was unfaithful numerous times during our visa process and do not plan to continue our relationship. I guess my question is how do i get her to go home. I have offered to pay for her flight but she refuses to accept the offer. She acts like a child most of the time and cant seem to realize that we are not getting married. Any tips on how to get her home, i prefer not to report her to INS. I know shes legally allowed to stay for 90 days.

Crede,

I am sorry for your situation and certainly feel for you. Please follow the advice that have been given thus far.

On another note, reading stories like this irritates me to the nth degree. I am baffled that K-1 visa will often process faster than an IR visa when on the one hand, there is a slight possibility the relationship will work and on the other hand, the folks have already met and gotten to know one another and have married. It is this type of wisdom that makes me shake my head and wonder why the policy of USCIS is pro K-1 and hard on IR visas.

Anyway, please report her and take all measures to protect yourself and your integrity from being denigrated.

Marriage: 09-12-2009

USCIS

4-26-10 Sent of I-130

10-07-10 Approved

10-12-10 Received hardcopy of NOA2

NVC

10-12-10: NVC has application but case number yet to be assigned.

10-18-10: Case number assigned.

10-19-10: Provided both email addresses

10-23-10: DS-3032 emailed; no response

10-28-10: Received IIN, dithering around instead of paying the fee

10-30-10: DS3032 Kit and I-864 AOS review fee ($88) online payment; In Process

11-03-10: I-864 AOS status 'PAID"; printed cover sheet and mailed I-846EZ package

11-04-10: I-864EZ AOS received and signed by N. Visa Center

11-05-10: DS-230 IV fee ($404) online payment

11-17-10: AOS entered into the system

12-03-10: IV fee paid ($404); In Process

12-06-10: DS-230 IV status 'PAID',

12-07-10: IV package mailed out

12-08-10: DS-230 IV package delivery; signed by N. Visa Center

12-14-10: DS230 entered into system; yay

12-29-10: SIF

12-30-10: Case Completed @ NVC

Total days @ NVC:79 I-130 to Case Complete 249 days

Consulate

08-25-11: Consulate Interview Schedule

xxxx: Medicals

10-20-11: Interview 8:30AM Need Co-sponsor

11-17-11: Visa granted

12-09-11: Picked up visa from Accra Consulate

filsm5.png

event.png

WZs0m5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nice one, just voted your post up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I just wanted to ask a stupid question.. How do you know so much about K-1's when I see by your timeline you are a CR1?

I know, because I considered applying for K1, but then we got married and applied for CR1. Before that I performed a thorough research on K1. So I know what I am talking about!

USCIS journey
07/30/2010 I-130 sent
08/13/2010 NOA1

02/23/2011 Paid AOS
03/15/2011 SIF!!!

06/06/2011 POE Dublin

ROC

03/05/2013 NOA1 received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I know what I am talking about!
Except when it comes to the I-134 and comparing other VJ members to dirtbags, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

HEY HEY HEY

Why do you just believe him and keep advicing him without knowing anything from her ?....he might did something ..who knows ...she might seen him betraying her or something and of course he would NOT tell you guys that he betrayed her..there are many circumstances ...BUT not because he is AMERICAN so ohhh he is one of us ..damn her ...BE FAIR ...what if you were her ....what if he did something...many questions ......iam not defending her neither accusing him of doing something ...but i hate being unfaired so i wouldn't want anyone to be in that place...listen to both of them if you can guys ...or just keep keep your tongues in your mouths .

Regards

Sam

Edited by SamOnline

Beautiful patience.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.