jcg303

can't get a driver's license

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

my wife successfully passed the written and driving tests in order to get her driver's license. however, the bmv would not issue the license because her I-94 expires on 7/1, and apparently, she's not in the DHS database. she arrived here on 4/1 with a K-1 visa. she received an I-94 at the airport, so i'm not sure how she's not in the database. we've already filed for her green card, and she took her I-485 NOA1 into the license branch. according to their requirements, we had all the necessary documents and proofs of identity.

WHAT MORE DO THEY WANT????

has anyone else had any trouble getting a driver's license? if it makes any difference, we live in indiana.

TIMELINE:

03.06.09 - Filed I-129F

03.09.09 - Received NOA1

09.14.09 - RFE received

09.16.09 - RFE response sent

09.22.09 - NOA2!!!

09.28.09 - Case received by NVC

10.01.09 - NVC sent case to embassy

10.07.09 - Consulate received case, packet 3 sent via email

10.12.09 - Packet 3 checklist sent to embassy

10.21.09 - Embassy received completed checklist

12.14.09 - Appointment letter issued

01.19.10 - Interview

01.28.10 - 2nd interview

02.10.10 - Visa in hand!!!

04.01.10 - POE in Chicago

04.23.10 - Marriage

05.11.10 - Filed AOS, EAD, & AP

my wife successfully passed the written and driving tests in order to get her driver's license. however, the bmv would not issue the license because her I-94 expires on 7/1, and apparently, she's not in the DHS database. she arrived here on 4/1 with a K-1 visa. she received an I-94 at the airport, so i'm not sure how she's not in the database. we've already filed for her green card, and she took her I-485 NOA1 into the license branch. according to their requirements, we had all the necessary documents and proofs of identity.

has anyone else had any trouble getting a driver's license? if it makes any difference, we live in indiana.

What Indiana BMV wants is an EAD or a Green Card, nothing less. They're very strict about that.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What Indiana BMV wants is an EAD or a Green Card, nothing less. They're very strict about that.

Texas is the same way, unfortunately. We are waiting for Sifa's EAD to come so we can get him just a regular state id & a learners permit! Frustrating.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

I did a little reading on the Indiana BMV site and I think this might me the issue.

Between the time the I-94 expires and your receive the green card you are in status limbo.

Indiana requires proof of legal status to issue a DL. Once the I-94 expires you have no proof of legal status. Even though you are not "illegal" - you have no "legal status"

On the surface, it looks like you would have to wait until receiving conditional resident status before being able to get a liscence.

I'm no expert on this but trying to help! Hopefully I'm not way off base and someone can correct any errors I am posting.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Texas is the same way, unfortunately. We are waiting for Sifa's EAD to come so we can get him just a regular state id & a learners permit! Frustrating.

Ditto for Iowa.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Ditto for Iowa.

Double ditto for Illinois. They would issue her a DL based on her Russian Driver's License but only for the validity period of the I-94. Thereafter it would become invalid and she would need to wait for the GC. We just opted for the Driver's Permit and are waiting for the GC.

In the meantime, the real kicker, no reputable insurance company would issue her insurance unless she has the GC.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I also live in Indiana and experienced a very similar situation. I passed my exam, they already took my picture, I had the eye test and they seem ready to give me a card. But when they start encoding my data on their database and look on my documents (passport, SSN, I-94, proof of address), they said, I can't have a license and need to wait for my GC because it would complicate with DHS. I'm not sure what they are trying to say because i meet all the required documents they need. I went there mid of May and until now my I-94 is isn't expired. They said they can't issue any type of ID too.

Adjustment of Status

May 4, 2010 - Date Filed I-485,I-765,I-131

May 11, 2010 - NOA for I-485,I-765,I-131 May 17, 2010 - Biometrics appointment received in the mail

May 24, 2010 - Walk-in Biometrics successful (ASC Michigan City, IN)

June 1, 2010 - Case transferred to CSC

July 14, 2010 - EAD approved, for card production

July 19, 2010 - Received AP in the mail

July 21, 2010 - I-485 GC approved, for card production

July 26, 2010 - Welcome letter received

July 28, 2010 - EAD card received

July 31, 2010 - Greencard received

Removal of Conditions

May 7, 2012 - Date Filed I-751

May 9, 2012 - Date of NOA!

June 8, 2012 - Biometrics Schedule

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

In CA the issue is whether or not you have something showing legal presence. In the case of your I-94 expiring you have no document showing that, and most states that I have seen will not accept the NOA1 as proof. Here in CA, they will accept and EAD or green card, but the license expires on the same day as either the EAD or green card. It must be renewed showing proof of a new card either EAD or green card. My husband was able to use his green card to get a temporary license that allows him to drive with his Brazil license for 90 days. He has to pass written and behind the wheel tests within that time limit. We are halfway there and waiting for the behind the wheel test. :)

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Same thing in Michigan, I've been trying to get one for a while and can't do! They faxed my application to Lansing, it's been two weeks and they still haven't approved or denied it. My EAD is on the way soon so I hope they will accept that and give me one.

0vi7t8.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Also here in Arizona you can not get diver license after your I-94 is expired. Then you have to wait for your EAD or green card.

But if you present the EAD then it will be valid for only one year (based on the EAD issued date)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Theres nothing you can do but to wait until she is on the database. How long? Who knows.

I remember waiting for my SSN for three months because "Im not on the database". Waiting for my driver's license for a month because "Im not on the database". We went to USCIS local office to ask why I was not on the database and they said, you are in our database. Then went back to DMV to tell them what USCIS said then DMV said its a different database that blah. blah, blah while shaking their heads. They blame the USCIS. Bottomline, you will just have to wait. It took me a eight months to get everything in order and when my GC came, I have a different middle name. Very exhausting and frustrating but then its true- its a test of your patience.

January 16, 2008 - sent I-129F (Vermont)

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

August 7&9,2008 - Medical K1&K2

August 21, 2008 - Paid document verification fee (P1,300)

August 27, 2008 - Interview

September 08,2008 - Document Verification request sent to NSO

Spetember 19,2008 - Document Verification done -sent back to US Embassy Manila

November 03, 2008 - Case under review

November 26, 2008 - VISA printed

November 28, 2008 - VISA in transit

December 02, 2008- VISA IN HAND

January 12, 2009 - Arrived USA, POE Los Angeles

January 21, 2009 - Got married

January 22, 2009 - Applied for SSN

AOS

February 10, 2009 - Went to Dr. Janet Pettyjohn for form I-693

February 11, 2009 - Sent our AOS packet to Chicago

February 12, 2009 - Packet received signed for by L BOX

February 22, 2009 - Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

March 17, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

March 21, 2009 - SSN card arrived in the mail

April 6, 2009 - took driver's license exam and passed! (written and road test)

April 10, 2009 - Repeat Biometrics Appointment

April 14,2009 - Received AP documents in the mail

April 16, 2009 - Received EAD in the mail

SEptember 4, 2009 - GREENCARD received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I don't know about the DL but in PA, we were able to get a state Id. What I did was take a copy of the fact sheet for the state of PA. I brought all the K-1 evidence but I was wrong. (we were already married, duh lol) We needed the AOS evidence. I came back the same day with our NOA's for the I-485, I-765 and the I-131 and they had to send something to Harrisburg. That was on a thursday. Monday we got a letter from Harrisburg to come back to the DMV because they verified he was in the system and they issued him a State Id. He is not ready for the driving test yet but by then we should have his AOS.

Wish you guys lots of luck...this process is tough as it is without the DL having to be an issue as wellwacko.gif

Filed: Timeline

They wanted my EAD or greencard before issuing a driver's license in Texas. Once I gotmy EAD, they gave me a licence for 10 years. Its how they are and you are not alone. Just wait till she gets her EAD or GC.

Edited by DanielParul

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's the same in Georgia. It is part of the process to crack down on illegal immigration - you can't get a DL unless you can provide dated proof of legal status, and then the DL will only be valid for the same length of time as the proof of status.

So, if you had applied for a DL shortly after arrival on a K-1 (and had a SSN - another requirement), then the DL would expire the same time as the I-94. Since the receipt for the AOS doesn't have a date showing the period of legal validity, Georgia doesn't accept the NOA receipt for the AOS either. Basically you have to wait until you have the EAD or the Green Card.

Even after getting a green card, in Georgia, DLs are still only valid for the length of time stated on the dated document used to provide evidence of legal status or 3 years - whichever is shorter. So, even with a 10 year green card you need to renew a DL every 3 years. I really think this is becoming a universal policy across the whole US now.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.