Leedah

Husband Got Arrested

121 posts in this topic

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Lauraandfrogger,

Did your husband get charged with a felony? I'm curious because if he was, i wonder if immigration would allow the same thing (letting him stay in the country after the abuse charge).

Also you mentioned about them letting it all go after the dust settles...

he's on a CR-1 conditional resident card. He has to adjust status in 2 years (2011). I'm hoping that they will see that i withdrawed my I-864 at my local uscis office and add it to his file, but who knows with immigration. They "lose" things when its convenient

As far as I know an even an unconditional GC, does not protect you from deportation. I remember when hundreds of El Salvadorians and Cambodians were deported after being charged with a felony. The uproar came as most had arrived here as babies with refugee parents. The parents hadn't followed through with citizenship, and these kids grew up and joined gangs etc. and after prison release were dumped back in countries they had no knowledge or memory of.

I know because I was living in Cambodia at the time. They couldn't speak the language and were for all purposes totally American. But, they f**d up and consequently were kicked out for life.

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
TCO, while you may find the OP's situation a joking matter, others do not. Please keep trite comments out of the Major Changes forum. Thank you.

I don't consider Felony Abuse a Joking Matter

I just offered my opinion that there are 3 sides to each story

If I see a weaker person getting hurt, male or female I will take action into my own hands

I don't discrimate if it's male of female I only see Right and Wrong

I will knock someone on their A$$ if they do wrong, Male or Female Don't Matter To Me............

Wow. It's nice to know that you don't discrimate about who's #### you will kick. Really great to know that you believe that hitting women is justified. Has your wife felt your wrath yet? Poor kid, having to deal with you on a daily basis.

Texans just love to stir things up....have you ever noticed? Especially after a few brews. Only pit bulls have the attitude that any sort of physical abuse is OK. In the U.S. we aren't authorized to take the law in our own hands...not even in the Lone Star State. Despite what that Governor Perry says, the South will not rise again.

Many states in USA including Texas allows people to take the law into their own hand.

In Texas you can leaglly car a pistol in your car / home/ place of business without a permit or Concealed Handgun Licenses, and if you happen to kill someone while attempting to break into above listed, By law the criminal nor their family can sue you.

It's called the Castle Law.......

Huh? I grew up in El Paso, Texas and my ex boyfriend's friend had a gun in my car when I was about 18 years old. I was unaware of it but I almost went to jail! My car got searched by the police and I was told I could not carry an unlicensed weapon in my car. Even though it wasn't even mine, it was MY car.

A friend of my brother's was also arrested for carrying a weapon. This all happened in Texas.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
TCO, while you may find the OP's situation a joking matter, others do not. Please keep trite comments out of the Major Changes forum. Thank you.

If I see a weaker person getting hurt, male or female I will take action into my own hands

I will knock someone on their A$$ if they do wrong, Male or Female Don't Matter To Me............

Wow. It's nice to know that you don't discrimate about who's #### you will kick. Really great to know that you believe that hitting women is justified. Has your wife felt your wrath yet? Poor kid, having to deal with you on a daily basis.

Texans just love to stir things up....have you ever noticed? Especially after a few brews. Only pit bulls have the attitude that any sort of physical abuse is OK. In the U.S. we aren't authorized to take the law in our own hands...not even in the Lone Star State. Despite what that Governor Perry says, the South will not rise again.

Many states in USA including Texas allows people to take the law into their own hand.

In Texas you can leaglly car a pistol in your car / home/ place of business without a permit or Concealed Handgun Licenses, and if you happen to kill someone while attempting to break into above listed, By law the criminal nor their family can sue you.

Huh? I grew up in El Paso, Texas and my ex boyfriend's friend had a gun in my car when I was about 18 years old. I was unaware of it but I almost went to jail! My car got searched by the police and I was told I could not carry an unlicensed weapon in my car. Even though it wasn't even mine, it was MY car.

A friend of my brother's was also arrested for carrying a weapon. This all happened in Texas.

Unlicensed being the operative word.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Unlicensed being the operative word.

there is no licensing requirement in texas.

however, there used to be a traveling law, which allowed for one who was traveling to carry in their vehicle, usually the owner had to be crossing county lines for this law to apply. i'm not too sure when it was abolished.

Motorists Protection Act • HB 1815

“Concealed Handguns in Vehicles OK” -- “Traveling” law confusion a thing of the past.

The offense of illegally carrying a handgun, illegal knife or club has been removed from law if you are on your own premises, premises under your control, or inside or directly enroute to a motor vehicle you own or is under your control. The weapons remain illegal if you intentionally, knowingly or recklessly carry them in plain view in a motor vehicle, or are involved in certain criminal activity, are in a criminal gang, or cannot legally possess a firearm. This new law ends decades of legal abuse of innocent citizens under deceptive “traveling” rules, affirmative defenses, prosecutorial discretion, denials of civil rights and traps for the unwary.

Texas thus becomes the fourth state to recognize Freedom to Carry (FTC) -- concealed carry with no permit -- at least under the narrow circumstances of in vehicles and on your premises. (The other three are Vermont, Alaska, and Montana outside of city limits. Arizona recognizes FTC in your home, business and on land you own or lease.) FTC differs from so-called “Right-to-Carry,” which requires a government-issued permit, forms, tests, taxation, fingerprinting, photographing, embedding in state and federal databases and an expiration date, for exercise of “rights.”

Passed (5/26/07), Effective date 9/1/07.

link

The new statute says an individual cannot be charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon (UCW) in their personal vehicle unless:

* the handgun is in plain view (not found as a result of a consent search),

* the person is engaged in criminal activity other than traffic violations,

* the person is legally disallowed from owning a weapon (e.g., past criminal convictions), or

* the person's name is in the state of Texas' criminal street gang database.

link

found a definition of the old traveling law here:

But the law goes further and makes an exception for persons who are "traveling." Traveling, as it has been interpreted by the courts means, basically, going away from one's domicile, or residence, for an extended trip of some kind. There are no exact definitions or parameters. This is what is wrong with the law; it is too vague and subject to abuse by police and prosecutors.

link

and btw, on the castle law:

Castle Doctrine

This bill changed less in Texas' statutes, which already protected homeowners who shot burglars and trespassers pretty strongly, than in other states where it has passed. San Marcos Police Chief Howard Williams said that even under the new law, a homeowner must "have an articulable fear for your safety.” That's still the case under the new statute.

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't have any advice to give!

I am sorry that this happened to you, and I am glad you are not taking him back.

I wish you nothing but luck in dealing with this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

can this thread be closed? this is a ####### thread and the original poster fool is just posting in other forums....like woopity-do-da-day,...like she got her ATTENTION....now this thing should be closed.....

Dont anyone else cry her a river

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
can this thread be closed? this is a ####### thread and the original poster fool is just posting in other forums....like woopity-do-da-day,...like she got her ATTENTION....now this thing should be closed.....

Dont anyone else cry her a river

Only the OP can request that the thread be closed.

Who are you to judge what the OP is going through?

And since when is it a crime for people to post in different forums?

If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't sit on your high horse and decide what issues are legit and not. This is a forum for people to get help and it seems to me that she is getting the help, advice and support that she needs.

And lest I forget...REPORTED.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

I wasn't here for entertainment purposes, just to get information, as we all are.

Aussielad, I don't know why you are set on bashing, but I sincerely pray you NEVER go through the same situation.

Anyway, as always, I choose to give you a (F) and I hope you have a better day.

Peace,

Leedah

12/25/2004 - Met my future hubby while on trip to Gambia

12/13/2006 - Married my hubby in Gambia (West Africa)

12/08/2007 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock box. USPS Express Mail December 08,'07, 7:44 pm

02/05/2008 - I-130 NOA1 Hardcopy Received in mailbox

05/27/2008 - Filed Expedite Request by phone with CSR

06/01/2008 - Received Denial Email

06/05/2008 - Filed 2nd request

06/23/2008 - Expedite Approved

07/27/2008 - NOA2

10/21/2008 - Case complete at NVC (Technically was expedited to embassy)

11/06/2008 - Interview at Dakar Embassy

11/06/2008 - Notice (show more income evidence from petitioner)

11/07/2008 - Case on hold

11/18/2008 - 2nd Interview Date

11/18/2008 - Notice (Show even more income and ORIGINAL docs now from 1st cosponsor

12/23/2008 - Received email for 3rd Interview scheduled for March 25th, 2009. Bring Pics

01/23/2009- In Gambia with hubby

03/25/2009- Interview

04/09/2009- POE Atlanta (CR-1 Status until 2011)

04/13/2009- husband arrested for domestic violence (Aggravated Assault-Felony)

05/19/2009- Filed for divorce

06/02/2009- Letter sent to immigration detailing abuse & fraud

09/08/2009- Divorce Hearing

09/10/2009- Divorce Trial (Continued)

03/11/2010- Notice To Appear issued

03/22/2010- Divorced

05/18/2010- Deportation Master Hearing

05/18/2010- Deportation Ordered

06/17/2010- Appeal Time Over. ICE picked him up. In Jail

08/10/2010- Another Master Hearing Scheduled. Out of jail.

05/31/2012- Individual Hearing Scheduled

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

He was initially charged with three misdemeanors and afterward he was charged twice again for violating his restraining order. I have no idea why they didn't charge him with something more, the DA told me that in California they were lucky to be able to charge him at all. I'm so happy that yours got a real charge that will stay on his record and hopefully get him deported. I don't know about you, but I think that a charge of spousal abuse should be an automatic ticket back home. I would have thought so before I tried to have him removed. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. But then again, mine had already adjusted status, and even though he told other people that he was just here for the green card and threatened to kill me if I rescinded my sponsorship, ICE could care less. I hope you have better luck with yours.

Since I was not successful with removing my ex-husband, I don't really have useful experience with these things... but sounds like you already know about how USCIS seems to like to move only when it is convenient for them and that's why I urge you not to let it rest.

Good luck with everything.

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-25

Contacted Congrasswoman Eshoo's Office for assistance : 2008-06-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-06-18 !!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Just found out from ICE that since my soon to be ex-husband is so new in his conditional status, he could have his conditional residence card revoked by an adjucticator. He would then be deportable immedietly and I would be off the hook for the 10yr I-864 once he's physically in his own country again. (The I-864 IS ENFORCABLE UP TO THE TIME THE PERSON IS PHYSICALLY OFF U.S. SOIL, AIRSPACE, WHATEVER. So, even if you possibly have someone in removal proceedings, the government can STILL collect on you until that person is deported. Not likely, but it happens).

Hope this helps someone who is going through the same situation.

FYI- Everyone's situation is different and it would be a good idea to speak with someone who has more knoweldge about these matters. My situation probably warranted the ICE agent notifying me of this avenue simply because my husband was only in the country 4 days (meaning we lived in the same house 4 days) before he was arrested for a felony and it looks to clearly be marriage fraud on his part. Also since he has not updated his address with them (it's a requirement by law) that doesn't weigh in his favor either.

Anyway, for all that are going through similar situations, my condolences.

Leedah

12/25/2004 - Met my future hubby while on trip to Gambia

12/13/2006 - Married my hubby in Gambia (West Africa)

12/08/2007 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock box. USPS Express Mail December 08,'07, 7:44 pm

02/05/2008 - I-130 NOA1 Hardcopy Received in mailbox

05/27/2008 - Filed Expedite Request by phone with CSR

06/01/2008 - Received Denial Email

06/05/2008 - Filed 2nd request

06/23/2008 - Expedite Approved

07/27/2008 - NOA2

10/21/2008 - Case complete at NVC (Technically was expedited to embassy)

11/06/2008 - Interview at Dakar Embassy

11/06/2008 - Notice (show more income evidence from petitioner)

11/07/2008 - Case on hold

11/18/2008 - 2nd Interview Date

11/18/2008 - Notice (Show even more income and ORIGINAL docs now from 1st cosponsor

12/23/2008 - Received email for 3rd Interview scheduled for March 25th, 2009. Bring Pics

01/23/2009- In Gambia with hubby

03/25/2009- Interview

04/09/2009- POE Atlanta (CR-1 Status until 2011)

04/13/2009- husband arrested for domestic violence (Aggravated Assault-Felony)

05/19/2009- Filed for divorce

06/02/2009- Letter sent to immigration detailing abuse & fraud

09/08/2009- Divorce Hearing

09/10/2009- Divorce Trial (Continued)

03/11/2010- Notice To Appear issued

03/22/2010- Divorced

05/18/2010- Deportation Master Hearing

05/18/2010- Deportation Ordered

06/17/2010- Appeal Time Over. ICE picked him up. In Jail

08/10/2010- Another Master Hearing Scheduled. Out of jail.

05/31/2012- Individual Hearing Scheduled

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Not to sound rude, but speaking from my own experience of being the near-victim of a violent crime, I can tell you that you have NO IDEA what you're going to do when confronted with a crisis like Leedah's until you're actually in that situation.

Everything happens REALLY fast and you only have a split second to react. Instinct takes over, and people are different. Some freeze in fear, some fight back, some scream, some run away. You don't really know which reaction(s) you're going to have until you're actually there.

I cannot tell you the number of people who came up to me after hearing about my ordeal and told me, "If it was me in that situation, I'd have shot the guy," etc. Every time I hear something like this, I think to myself, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Also, you have no idea how damaging it can be to imply that the violence was somehow Leedah's fault. No, it isn't. Please, try to show some respect for her and for the sobriety of her situation.

Couldn't say it better CaptainRubyHeart,

my ex-boyfriend was assaulting me for 6 years, and finally after 7 years of living together, I left him. And it doesn't matter whose fault it is when 2 ppl get into an argument, it's very ugly a man to abuse a woman. Just when ppl say love is blind, it's so true...

bulgaria_mwp.gifusa_mwp.gif

CSC USCIS ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-02-19 : I-130 package sent_________________2009-02-20 : I-130 Received in Chicago, IL

2009-02-27 : NOA1 Approved____________________2009-05-04 : NOA2 Approved

NVC ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-05-11 : NVC case # assigned

2009-05-19 : DS-3032/AOS Bill Generated__________2009-05-20 : DS-3032 e-mailed; AOS/I-864 Bill (paid online $70)

2009-05-26 : Sent In Completed I-864

2009-06-04 : e-mailed DS-3032 accepted by NVC____2009-06-04 : IV Fee bill generated, paid online $400

2009-06-08 : DS-230 mailed to NVC

2009-07-10 : Case complete - in 141 days

2009-07-21 : Interview expedite request e-mailed to NVC

2009-07-27 : NVC replied NO to expedite request

2009-07-29 : NVC e-mailed an interview date for Sept.15th

2009-08-07 : Case left NVC

2009-08-10 : DHL shipped file

2009-08-12 : Case received in USEM, Sofia

2009-08-24 : Medical scheduled

2009-08-25 : Interview re-scheduled

2009-08-28 : Visa in hand

2009-09-01 : US entry - Boston, MA

2009-09-15 : Welcome letter sent (21st Sept received)

2009-09-30 : GC production ordered

2009-10-08 : GC received

2010-02-01 : little D was born :)

VSC ~ROC~ Journey

2011-06-03 : mailed ROC package

2011-06-06: ROC NOA1

2011-07-08: Biometrics appointment

2012-02-25: GC Approval

2012-03-....: PGC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.