Militaryguy

I-130 Falsely denied (possibly)

47 posts in this topic

Hi,

Storytime. In 2012 my then fiance entered the US with a K1 visa, we got married within 90 days of her arrival and my two biological children followed with k2 visas thereafter. As a low ranking military member supporting a family of four, I was not completely ready to adjust status for all 3 of them right away. I was worried they would be out of status if I could not adjust status right away so I called USCIS for some answers. The agent told me that there is no defined time that a k1 visa spouse needs to oblige by to adjust status. None. Time passes, and suddenly im up for orders the following year to a foreign country, I have no family in the US and my wife cannot drive nor work yet with out her green card so they accompany me (under orders) to the foreign duty station. Before doing so I call the USCIS and they tell me they will treat it as abandonment of AOS. We are then advised to file for i130 when we get to the US embassy in the next foreign country. I file for the visa and my entire family gets approved. On the day we were told to pick up the visas at the embassy, the same consular officer who approved us now wants to deny my wife her visa at says she is banned for 10 years from the US. His reasoning was she stayed over the date on her arrival departure i94 card and was therefore illegal. I ask him where does this exist in writing, he could not provide any evidence. He then shuts his window and now im contemplating  leaving the military to be with my wife and children in her home country. I have called an immigration visa lawyer to help. Are we in the wrong? If not, what sources do I have to prove I am right? Thank you in advance.

They're correct. You can basically wait forever to adjust, (because she's the immediate family member of a USC) however, once she left the country the overstay isn't forgiven anymore. 

So, leaving the country triggered the ban and you'd need a waiver now. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The option to file a waiver should have been covered in the paperwork your wife was given when she was refused a visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sorry i meant to say where does it say she becomea an illegal when she leaves the us prior to aos? Also we did not leave the country due to convenience, we were ordered by the US government to relocate to another military base. Leaving my wife with no means of driving or working with two children was out of the question. Is there some kind of program that helps servicemembers families?

Timeline

Her K1 was good for 90 days, I assume you comfortably exceeded that, you mentioned the 90 days in your opening post.

JAG?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As stated by the others, once her I-94 expired she was out of status in the US. Once she left the country it triggered the ban.

Military orders to foreign country bases only matter when your spouse say has her green card, the orders will negate time out of country.

As for your wife, she had no actual status thus, she needs a waiver.

As an Army vet myself, like Boiler said, really all you can do at this point is go through JAG; but they will probably tell you same details, or they won't know and have you find an immigration attorney state side.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Moving forward, our sofa status expires this week and i have to deploy as soon as i get to the US. My wife can not stay at the country we are currently in and must fly back to her home country. How will filing her waiver work in her home country?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I concur with above advice.  Seek the help of your base legal office, and apply for the wavier.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Waiver goes to the lockbox in the US.

INA 212 contains the statutory overstay bar information you're seeking. After at least 365 days of overstay/unlawful presence she is barred for 10 years. 

As stated above, she can file an I-601 seeking a waiver of that inadmissibility. 

And the waiver goes to a lockbox facility in the US, not directly to the embassy. Expect it to take ~6-12 months to be adjudicated. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Last time I looked they were showing 14 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.