kmaskil

Pregnant and apart... What to do?

46 posts in this topic

Have the baby in the UK. Cr1 or k1 depending on how you want to immigrate. Cr1 is cheaper overall but takes longer.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Even if it was possible to get K-1 in time, fly at 9 months pregnant, get married AND get her on his insurance in time for the birth (big if), what about deductible? Depending on the insurance plan, this is probably $3k+ which would need to be paid. Having baby in the UK= zero medical costs.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Check with your employer if you can add her to your health insurance. Note: Most organizations have open enrollment going on right now (Oct/Nov), so you need to move on this quickly. If your employer won't add her to your insurance, then EM_Vandaveer's advice is probably your best bet. The $20k cost sounds right to me. A USC friend with illegal wife just spent that exact amount for a recent birth. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and note, you'll have to do some airline shopping if she's going to travel in the 9th month of her pregnancy. From previous VJ threads, some airlines are really restrictive and others are a little more lax.

they are not married, he cannot add her to his insurance until they are married.

I went through the k1 visa process pregnant and I am now in the U.S. However I just found after we sent the I-129F app. I went through the UK medical without issue but was still required to have a X-ray. Some of the injections may not be compatible with pregnancy however I only need Tdap, which is given in pregnancy anyway so ended up being given it twice.

Due to being so far along and not having sent anything in, I would do K1 asap and alongside work on preparing everything you need to get baby docs in quickly after birth so that once your gf visa comes through it won't be too long that your apart, if your going to attend the birth, you could attend the embassy to get baby docs in person with gf.

K1

2/12/16.....I-129F sent to lockbox Lewisville, TX

2/18/16.....NOA1 text & e-mail. Case sent to CSC

2/25/16.....Received NOA1 hard copy

3/22/16.....Vaccinations up to date (only needed one)

5/17/16.....NOA2 ( 91 days)

6/ 3/16.....NVC Recived

6/ 6/16.....Case Number Received

6/14/16.....Medical

7/ 7/16..... Interview Approved

9/14/16..... POE

9/22/16.....Wedding

12/26/16....Baby due date ( it's a girl )

AOS

9/30/16.....AOS sent to Chicago

10/3/16..... Delivered

10/18/16....NOA1 text x3

10/29/16.....Biometric letter for 11/9/16

11/08/16..... Successful walk-in for biometrics

12/**/16..... She arrived our baby girl was born

01/03/17.....EAD card in production 

01/03/17.....EAD/AP approved

06/26/17.....Interview- Approved

06/26/17.....AOS card in production

Two other considerations:

Continuity of care during having a baby. It depends on how the pregnancy goes and how your girlfriend feels but it can be better to have the same team of people looking after you during the prenatal care and the birth. It can be scary having your first baby, and getting to know your midwife/doctor, the hospital etc before the big day is comforting. Rushing though an unpredictable immigration process and not knowing definitely where you will be when you give birth and who will be providing the post-birth care etc seems a very stressful option. Also if she has the baby in the UK she will have easier access to her family and current support network.

Your baby will have duel citizenship wherever it is born. But if born in the UK he/she will also be able to pass on UK citizenship to his or her future children as well as US citizenship.

And re costs in the US. My uncomplicated, 2-day hospital stay simple birth cost well over $60,000. Luckily covered by insurance for us but a terrible burden if not.

Edited by Trellick

Another thing to consider. Even if you get her over here and marry her before she has the baby, just about all U.S. health insurance providers do not cover "pre-existing conditions", meaning they wouldn't cover your girlfriend/wife's pregnancy, and the birth of your child. If your girlfriend/wife needs to have a C-section (mine did) you could only imagine the costs. In my opinion it would be best to relax and have the baby in the U.K. Pregnancy is already a stressful time period. Added additional stress wouldn't be helpful.

Actually obamacare made disqualifying for preexisting conditions illegal.

Chances of a c-section is less in the uk too.

Also being born in the Uk doesnt guarantee uk citizenship. Having the uk citizenship parent does. Uk does not have jus soli.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/british-citizenship

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

People here are talking to you about just delivery costs, but if there is a problem with the baby, the NICU costs will be a burden too. Maybe they'll be covered, maybe they won't depending on how much you make, but NICU costs can be 6-10k per day and up. The NICU ambulance alone for my son was 10k. Pricey.

Personally, if you have absolutely no interest in moving to England, I'd get married and do the CR1.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Continuity of care during having a baby. It depends on how the pregnancy goes and how your girlfriend feels but it can be better to have the same team of people looking after you during the prenatal care and the birth. It can be scary having your first baby, and getting to know your midwife/doctor, the hospital etc before the big day is comforting. Rushing though an unpredictable immigration process and not knowing definitely where you will be when you give birth and who will be providing the post-birth care etc seems a very stressful option. Also if she has the baby in the UK she will have easier access to her family and current support network.

Your baby will have duel citizenship wherever it is born. But if born in the UK he/she will also be able to pass on UK citizenship to his or her future children as well as US citizenship.

And re costs in the US. My uncomplicated, 2-day hospital stay simple birth cost well over $60,000. Luckily covered by insurance for us but a terrible burden if not.

An uncomplicated 2-day hospital birth would not typically cost $60k if you were paying cash, though. Hospitals love cash pay as long as it's arranged in advance and partially or fully paid in advance. $20k is more accurate in that situation.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

You got royally screwed by your hospital, We just had a baby, and there were complications, She was 37 weeks along when her water broke. My wife spent 4 days in the hospital, the baby had to be born via C-Section, after 7 hours of trying the traditional way, and the total out the door cost was $35k. $30k of which was picked up by insurance. If you had to pay $60k for a 2 day no complications stay, something else is very very wrong with that medical institution.

To the OP:

You will be hard pressed to find an Airline that will let your pregnant girlfriend/fiancee fly at 9 months pregnancy, god forbid the baby comes early. You are much better off having the baby in the UK, and filing a CRBA.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Actually obamacare made disqualifying for preexisting conditions illegal.

Chances of a c-section is less in the uk too.

Also being born in the Uk doesnt guarantee uk citizenship. Having the uk citizenship parent does. Uk does not have jus soli.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/british-citizenship

Yes - I know. I was assuming the the OP's girlfriend is a UK citizen through birth. If she is then her children will (usually) be UK citizens. But they will not be able to pass that citizenship onto their own children unless born in the UK.

I was disappointed to learn that my daughter who was born in the US, but is a UK citizen through me, will not be able to pass on UK citizenship to her own children.

You got royally screwed by your hospital, We just had a baby, and there were complications, She was 37 weeks along when her water broke. My wife spent 4 days in the hospital, the baby had to be born via C-Section, after 7 hours of trying the traditional way, and the total out the door cost was $35k. $30k of which was picked up by insurance. If you had to pay $60k for a 2 day no complications stay, something else is very very wrong with that medical institution.

To the OP:

You will be hard pressed to find an Airline that will let your pregnant girlfriend/fiancee fly at 9 months pregnancy, god forbid the baby comes early. You are much better off having the baby in the UK, and filing a CRBA.

It was a very fancy birthing unit within the hospital - not by choice - it was just the most convenient one within our insurance network. And the costs on the breakdown were ridiculous (from a UK perspective particularly). But we were lucky with our insurance and had no co-pays at all throughout the whole prenatal - postnatal experience. So I guess our insurance company were the ones being screwed - and they are usually pretty good at avoiding that.

Filed: Timeline

Given the time frame and how many real and potential obstacles there are, I would have the baby in the UK route. Reading the posts I see that the cons stack up heavily against trying to make it work for a US birth. Good Luck and safe delivery!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I never heard of an insurance company covering a pregnacy for a girlfriend. So since you are not married and therefore can't probably get insurance, you would be stuck with an approximate $20K bill. The safest bet economically would be to have the baby in the UK. Plus some airlines do not permit flying transatlantic after 6 months pregnancy.

AETNA and other insurance cover what we call "domestic partner" which is usually a girlfriend or boyfriend but they must prove they live under the same roof

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.