Sign in to follow this  
kmg617

New reality show about K1 visa (merged)

323 posts in this topic

I'm not in your boat (I filed for CR1), but I saw this commercial for a reality show for K1 filers on TLC and googled to find out more. It airs in mid January.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tlc-goes-international-90-day-665840

Just wanted to throw it out there to see what people think about how it's portraying the k1 immigration process. Interesting.

While this show will benefit couples by showing them issues they will encounter with all the adjustments that must be made, I'm not sure the show itself would stick to the actual truth and not exaggerate just to make it more interesting. Lets wait and see :D

Hopefully it will be realistic and not sensationalized for tv purposes. I think it would be really interesting to see other people's journey. And probably bring back some good and bad memories from the whole process for most of us. Thanks for the link mate, will keep an eye out for it :)

OK so i was watching TLC (The Learning Channel) and there is a new show starting on January 12th called "90 day Fiance" Has anyone else heard of this? it looks like it might be good but i hope that it is a positive show and not one that is putting down K-1 visas. I can't wait to watch

This comment, and a few others makes me wonder what type of relationships they searched out. They obviously looked for K-1 relationships where the parties are not really committed in the first place. I suppose the better to generate controversy and ratings.

"Louis decided to propose. Louis will not get married until his family is comfortable with the decision. Now Aya must win over not only Louis' two children but his ex-wife as well."

Who the heck tells his fiancee she must make his ex-wife happy before they can get married? This is either an awfully contrived story line, or a seriously messed up relationship.

This comment, and a few others makes me wonder what type of relationships they searched out. They obviously looked for K-1 relationships where the parties are not really committed in the first place. I suppose the better to generate controversy and ratings.

"Louis decided to propose. Louis will not get married until his family is comfortable with the decision. Now Aya must win over not only Louis' two children but his ex-wife as well."

Who the heck tells his fiancee she must make his ex-wife happy before they can get married? This is either an awfully contrived story line, or a seriously messed up relationship.

I agree what does his ex-wife have to do with it?? If he needs to wait for approval on his decision, maybe he's not ready after all.

I agree what does his ex-wife have to do with it?? If he needs to wait for approval on his decision, maybe he's not ready after all.

yes.gifyes.gifyes.gif Makes me wonder if she knew that was a condition before she came to. Who would even go knowing that was a condition?

So, this is happening....

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/90-day-fiance/about.htm

Wonder how much time they will dedicate to the approval process?

None. It's not interesting or exciting or entertaining and I suspect that Americans don't really care to know too much about it. This is going to be about the family drama and prejudices and stuff.

Exactly! The point of a fiancé visa is KNOWING you will marry when you file and you had already been in a relationship and engaged. This show makes it seem like its a visa to try to figure out if they should marry in the first place...just to try out living together once in America. Strange! Anywho, I will be tuning in of course as I am a reality show junkie. :)

From wikipedia.org:

In 2009, 95 percent of the K-1 visa applications were approved: out of 29,127 K-1 visas applied for, 27,678 were issued, and 1,449 refused, and 1,266 were waived/overcome.[1][2]

TLC is seeing money there. With these statistics, this show is going to be " a Hollywood thing". Even cooking show like Hell's Kitchen by Gordon Ramsay was often over-dramatized and had been accused for being staged at some point. I have TLC on my cable but don't see the commercial yet about the show. Anyhow, I am stick with my favorite channel, Animal Planet.

Back to Top ↑