Nena C

Tourist visa denied

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

I am married to a Australian citizen...I am an american citizen....we are living in Australia...My husband was denied a tourist visa 2 times 3 years ago before we were married because he overstayed his tourist visa accidently by 1 day...I want to go visit my mom ..who is having surgery and want him to accompany me...He does not qualify for the ETSA visa because of the over stay..so we want to apply for a b1/ b2 visa...we only want to go for 3 weeks..my question is what are the chances of yet another denial...We were not married at the time..but are married now....what kind of documents do we need to provide....to prove to the consulate that he has no intention of staying in the us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

When was his overstay? What were his previous reasons for travel?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

His overy stay was 31/2 years ago.....The reason for his visit was to. to see me ....and meet my family...we have since gotten married and are living in Austraia...I have applied for residency for myself in Australia ...We have no intention of staying there.

Timeline

I will definitely try.....After all being married..should have an impact on the situation and also proof of application for residency .....which BTW cost $7000.... for myself..here in Australia...should show ample justification that we do not intend to migrate....at the same time as a spouse married to an american citizen...I could apply for residency for him.....I am not interested in residency in the US...just a visit......

Filed: Timeline

After all being married..should have an impact on the situation and also proof of application for residency .....which BTW cost $7000.... for myself..here in Australia...should show ample justification that we do not intend to migrate....at the same time as a spouse married to an american citizen...I could apply for residency for him.....I am not interested in residency in the US...just a visit......

No not really.

Why would the US care about what you are planning to do in Aus? They dont. All they want is for people to leave the US when they are supposed to. I am not sure how you 'accidently' overstay. Not hard to calculate what day you need to leave.

Don't expect much apart from another denial.

Timeline

So you are basically saying he overstayed one day..literally one day.... and they will deny him FOREVER from entering USA....WOW and as for accidently= his flight was delayed and he had to stay an extra night in the US...thus expiring visa....not his fault...and as someone who had not dealt with the USCIS system before...we did not think this would become a problem. even the officer in immigration at the time...had said this should be not be a issue....as for your response...a bit of compassion and humility....at the end of the day I am a US citizen and am sure I can get him there on green card if I choose..but your response was condensing ....but as other post states suggests......US needs a solid reason for returning to home country ..what better then ..paying that much for his wife to stay in said country.

Thanks ..for advice ..but clearly..you need to find some humanity and compassion when you answer these questions...Reality is harsh..but your response doesn't have to be

I think he will be approved. His overstay doesn't matter except that it makes him ineligible for the VWP. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Being married to an American will not help him.

I'd say it's a 50-50 shot. Only one way to find out which way it will shake down.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think he will be approved. His overstay doesn't matter except that it makes him ineligible for the VWP. Good luck.

I agree. The overstay was over 3 years ago, only by 1 day, not >180d or >1yr, so there is no ban and the American spouse is in the process of obtaining Australian residency (ties to Australia and all do count).

Apply and see. The worst you have to lose is the visa application fee. Honestly, I like his odds far more than I like my in-laws' odds.

The real lesson in all of this is don't plan your return for the last day of your tourist status. Always leave some wiggle room for things that are out of your control.

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

So you are basically saying he overstayed one day..literally one day.... and they will deny him FOREVER from entering USA....WOW and as for accidently= his flight was delayed and he had to stay an extra night in the US...thus expiring visa....not his fault...and as someone who had not dealt with the USCIS system before...we did not think this would become a problem. even the officer in immigration at the time...had said this should be not be a issue....as for your response...a bit of compassion and humility....at the end of the day I am a US citizen and am sure I can get him there on green card if I choose..but your response was condensing ....but as other post states suggests......US needs a solid reason for returning to home country ..what better then ..paying that much for his wife to stay in said country.

Thanks ..for advice ..but clearly..you need to find some humanity and compassion when you answer these questions...Reality is harsh..but your response doesn't have to be

All you can do is try and see. It is very possible however you will still be denied, and it may or may not have anything to do with his overstay. Overstaying is something every visitor should be mindful of when they come to the US. While weather events and travel plans mess up, the person needs enough wiggle room to make sure they exit the US successfully. VWP is a privilege to be guarded carefully and once lost cannot be returned unfortunately. Do you have any proof from that time regarding the delay?

He's not denied from entering the USA forever, however, even if such a visit visa application is not successful. If you ever choose to live in the US again, it will have no bearing on you applying for him under a spousal visa. Accidental overstaying happens but I really wish people would be more mindful not to. There is a post here from a while ago of something similar, and the CBP had a helpful tip regarding what to do (though I don't believe it exists on their website anymore as it was still a gamble anyway) http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/451444-flight-cancelled-and-delayed/ They didn't retry with a visit visa though, but they did successfully enter on a K1.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You'll never know until you apply, but I'd say you have a solid chance.

Sounds like you two are settled in AUS, probably have jobs, property, all those ties that people always talk about, and you applied for residency so there's a strong reason for you to come back. I'd highlight that and his understanding of how his overstay was a big deal after all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Did you register you marriage also with the US embassy in Australia?

I know when we were looking in to this, we were told to register o;ur marriage in Australia if that was the path we chose. It would help travel in/out of USA and future visa issues easier.

I'd call the Embassy and talk to someone...

Unfortunately, it is possible that they would deny someone a visitor's visa forever because of the overstay. They won't deny someone ever entering at all (that's a ban, and he certainly doesn't have a ban), but entering with a visitor's visa.... maybe.

Now, I don't think that it's very likely that they'll deny your husband a visitor's visa forever (and do look into the information provided here about forgiveness due to a flight delay-- that sounds promising, and maybe he could get VWP back?), but definitely possible and something that happens to people across the world all the time. They consider visiting the US (especially visa-free) to be a privilege and once used improperly, they're not in a hurry to extend it again. I know it sounds crazy (and in many ways it is) but most Western countries have similar laws and consequences. Either way, I really do think you'll be alright for the visitor's visa this time around, but just try to keep the big picture in mind.

You're actually dealing with the State department for the visitor's visa-- USCIS is for immigrating and becoming a citizen. If you think State is bad.... I've got some bad news for you for when/if you want to get your husband that green card.

Just a little bit of "down the road" prep: on the off chance that does not get this visitor's visa, you can't just apply for a green card and get him there that way. Green cards are for residency, not visiting. So you need to be moving back to the States and then apply for a spouse visa. The spouse visa is kind of a combo-- allows him to cross the border with the intention to move (which you cannot do on a visitor's visa) and acts as a "green card on arrival". But you can only get one if you (the petitioner) can show evidence of domicile (or maybe intention of domicile) in the US, so that really would not be possible for you to get for just visiting. He's certainly entitled to a spouse visa and green card and all that-- the condition is that for permanent residency in the US, you actually have to be living or have the intent to be living in the US. The spouse visas take about a year or so to process so when/if the time comes that you're thinking about re-locating, give yourself a good long lead time.

Essentially, your only options for him to be able to *visit* the US (moving is a completely different issue) are to get this visitor's visa or work to get his VWP reinstated. And a heads up for future planning purposes: you need to give yourself as much time as possible to straighten out his immigration *before* moving to the US, or you'll be in a similar tight spot.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.