wayno

Wife failed, wants to file form N-336 to request a hearing. Any experience or ideas?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

@sean126 how many citizenship tests has she taken? 2010 and recently? 

She been here close to 18 years and no grasp of English? 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

3 hours ago, killadocg23 said:

Do they always ask why I want to become a citizen? I mean to Vote would be a reasonable answer? what else can be said for this answer? My interview is tomorrow so i don't need any surprises.

Just answer the questions normally.   Conversational comprehension isn't black and white.  The point isn’t that they care why you want to vote , they care that you are able to communicate the reasons in English.

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline
4 hours ago, sean126 said:

We got a fiance visa and she came to the US in 2006 and she took her citizenship test 4 years later in 2010.  By then it wasn't an issue with her understanding most, if not all, of what someone was saying if they didn't use too much slang. 

Fortunately there is no rush on taking her test.  The longer she waits and practices english, the more confidence she'll definitely have and passing the test will be extremely easy.  

My wife never met a stranger, so feel free to reach out if she'd like to speak to my wife and get a first hand account.  

1 hour ago, Timona said:

@sean126 how many citizenship tests has she taken? 2010 and recently? 

She been here close to 18 years and no grasp of English? 

@Timona I wouldn't want to be rude or disrespctful and hijack another's thread by going off on a different tangent, so I will try my best to be short and direct.

My sincere apologies if my post wasn't easy to follow.  Sometimes they may not be for some, so since you asked I will briefly clarify.  My wife took and passed her test in 2010 on her first try because of the 4 years she spent learning and understanding english while going to ESL classes and then by also working at the ESL school for a few years.

Fortunately for the original poster's wife there is no rush on the original poster's wife taking the test.  The longer the original poster's wife waits and practices english, the more confidence the the original poster's wife will definitely have and passing the test will be extremely easy for her....the original poster's wife.

My wife has a very good grasp of English after 18 years in the U.S.   

I'll be happy to accept your private messages in the future so we can keep his thread on topic, so don't hesitate to reach out. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

@sean126 apologies. I got things confused. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, killadocg23 said:

Do they always ask why I want to become a citizen? I mean to Vote would be a reasonable answer? what else can be said for this answer? My interview is tomorrow so i don't need any surprises.

I told my interviewing officer (who was a judge) because I'd already been in the US on a work visa prior, so I had nearly a decade in the US and my oldest will be headed to university soon so I want said child to be eligible for any and all scholarship opportunities, including ones only available to US citizens.  He must have taken that as satisfactory because here I am, a citizen, waiting on N-600's for my kids.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 hours ago, killadocg23 said:

What Are the Top 12 Benefits of Having a US Citizenship?
  • Legal Rights and Protections.
  • Travel Benefits.
  • Education and Scholarships.
  • Family Reunification.
  • Government_Benefits.
  • Increased Job Opportunities.
  • Political Participation.
  • Access to Government Services.
Sep 11, 2023

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULE:  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

05/14/2024:     APPROVED

OATH CEREMONY SCHEDULED:  June 5th, 2024

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.O.S.  FROM EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It seems really odd and extreme that they failed her English test because she messed up on her phone number, and then on the trips taken and the reason to become a citizen… 

can you post the letter, blurring out personal info?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Bethie said:
What Are the Top 12 Benefits of Having a US Citizenship?
  • Legal Rights and Protections.
  • Travel Benefits.
  • Education and Scholarships.
  • Family Reunification.
  • Government_Benefits.
  • Increased Job Opportunities.
  • Political Participation.
  • Access to Government Services.
Sep 11, 2023

Yes, these are benefits of being a citizen. But the question was, why did she want to be a citizen.

39 minutes ago, Cathi said:

Yes, these are benefits of being a citizen. But the question was, why did she want to be a citizen.

It was a follow up question: why does she want to vote: 

Potential answers (that don’t require full sentences)

Choose my leaders

choose the president 

have my voice heard 

choose propositions

politics is important

and POLITICAL PARTICIPATION or 

Participate in politics 

Edited by Redro

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Bob in Boston said:

And why do you want to vote?

That was the one that got her. We practiced the 400 questions over and over. I asked in different ways but we did not go over the possible surprise follow up questions except for the time spent out of the country.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
8 hours ago, sean126 said:

@Timona I wouldn't want to be rude or disrespctful and hijack another's thread by going off on a different tangent, so I will try my best to be short and direct.

My sincere apologies if my post wasn't easy to follow.  Sometimes they may not be for some, so since you asked I will briefly clarify.  My wife took and passed her test in 2010 on her first try because of the 4 years she spent learning and understanding english while going to ESL classes and then by also working at the ESL school for a few years.

Fortunately for the original poster's wife there is no rush on the original poster's wife taking the test.  The longer the original poster's wife waits and practices english, the more confidence the the original poster's wife will definitely have and passing the test will be extremely easy for her....the original poster's wife.

My wife has a very good grasp of English after 18 years in the U.S.   

I'll be happy to accept your private messages in the future so we can keep his thread on topic, so don't hesitate to reach out. 

Unfortunately, my wife hasn't grasped it. She gets by OK, especially after a bottle of wine.....Hmmmmmm!...no she'd fail on the morals part. LOL! But nervousness, more so after failing previously, and really poor at tests/studying (several times for a drivers test) doesn't help.

I feel bad because her friends are citizens and a couple of her "friends" are the type to brag at their accomplishments and put others down. (IMO, not real friends)

3 minutes ago, wayno said:

Unfortunately, my wife hasn't grasped it. She gets by OK, especially after a bottle of wine.....Hmmmmmm!...

I wonder if a "pre-game" is an option before N-400 interview? 😅

Of course not being serious here.

Did you try chatting non stop  lon the way to the interview? I find this type of "warmup" useful before presentations etc.

Edited by OldUser

58 minutes ago, wayno said:

Unfortunately, my wife hasn't grasped it. She gets by OK, especially after a bottle of wine.....Hmmmmmm!...no she'd fail on the morals part. LOL! But nervousness, more so after failing previously, and really poor at tests/studying (several times for a drivers test) doesn't help.

I feel bad because her friends are citizens and a couple of her "friends" are the type to brag at their accomplishments and put others down. (IMO, not real friends)

Help her practice to respond to ALL questions on /during next interview by repeating/rephrasing the question in the answer. 

‘Repeating the questions gives her brain the advantage of additional time to process / search for answers . ‘

If she encounters a hard question, she can gain a bit of time by asking officer “  Can you please repeat the question ..” No explanation…

‘Example :

Q What is the supreme law of the land ?

A The supreme law of the land is the constitution.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
12 hours ago, Cathi said:

Isnt it something all immigrants wants?  

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULE:  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

05/14/2024:     APPROVED

OATH CEREMONY SCHEDULED:  June 5th, 2024

A.O.S.  FROM EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Bethie said:

Isnt it something all immigrants wants?  

Maybe, maybe not.  Many people believe the right to vote is the primary reason for immigrants to want to naturalize and are a bit blind to other benefits.  In my case, voting wasn't the top of the list.  The potential educational resources for my kid were a top priority (and I don't like giving USCIS money every 10 years ;) ).  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.