Evelina

Social security ????????

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I just found out after 1,5 years of staying in the US that I was suppose get the social security figured out or that there was an opportunity to get one once entering the US ha wow . Just wondering who is responsible for informong aliens about this . So unacceptable I thought the only way to get it was through green card and now I'm struggling with the evidence since I'm not able to even get a joint bank account here . Wow just wow can't believe it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Social Security Numbers subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Evelina said:

Just wondering who is responsible for informong aliens about this

It appears you entered via a K-1.  You could have marked the I-485 or the I-765 to receive a SSN.  In fact a K-1, itself,  authorizes the holder to obtain a SSN.   The VJ K-1 flowsheet also addresses it.  I'm surprised the US spouse didn't help.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Do you have your EAD or GC now? 

Sadly it was your job to know what to file and apply for, you could have checked the box when you filled out your AOS forms. Sorry but this one falls on you and your spouse. 

What are those the aos is almost completed

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Do you have your EAD or GC now? 

Sadly it was your job to know what to file and apply for, you could have checked the box when you filled out your AOS forms. Sorry but this one falls on you and your spouse. 

So weird it's not like I wasn't doing my research on the whole process... since everything is so complicated it's really difficult to know how much you have to go out of your way to look for stuff and not do things as they come,  in  certain order.  THere's no way I'm the only person whos in this situation nor they mention this on most k1 visa advice articles 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Evelina said:

EAD is your employment authorization. That should have been one of the forms I-765 you filled out when you applied for your adjustment of status. 

GC is the green card. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
1 minute ago, Evelina said:

So weird it's not like I wasn't doing my research on the whole process... since everything is so complicated it's really difficult to know how much you have to go out of your way to look for stuff and not do things as they come,  in  certain order.  THere's no way I'm the only person whos in this situation nor they mention this on most k1 visa advice articles 

Check the box where ??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Evelina said:

Stand alone Employment Authorization  EAD.  and travel Authorization. AP. Optional but recommended to file at the same time as the AOS.. no fee when co filed.. they are processed much faster than AOS and allow you to work and leave the country and report if needed before the AOS is completed 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Evelina said:

Check the box where ??

When you were filling out your AOS forms, there was a box on it that asked if you wanted them to apply for your SSN for you. 

I take it you did not follow VJ's guides and found some other site to follow. 

Here is the link check to the guides 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Evelina said:

Check the box where ??

On the I485 form. But as you have not completed the AOS process yet, you would still be  without the SS number. This only requires the SSA to process a SSN application appropriately when the 485 is approved 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Evelina said:

Not that it helps you now, but the guides and posts on bthis site give in depth step by step directions .. including on SSN, EAD and AP. Sorry. 

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

One Finn to another Finn you can handle this

SISU

the embassy should have given u The REAL welcome phamphlet for LPR

if u didn't get one , it may be a good idea to read your rights and responsibilities

https://www.google.com/search?q=rights+and+responsibilities+for+lpr&rlz=1C1JPGB_enUS833US833&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.69i59i450l8.31628371j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

have u gone thru the steps to get the green card (AOS process)

if not follow the USCIS guides and do it ASAP as you are out of status

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-eligibility/green-card-for-fiancee-of-us-citizen

36 minutes ago, Evelina said:

It’s not that difficult.   Are you using sources like TikTok for your info on immigration?  If so, I strongly recommend that you use USCIS, the actual source.

And, social security is completely separate from USCIS and immigration.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.