Evelina

Social security ????????

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
On 1/25/2024 at 2:49 PM, Evelina said:

I just found out after 1,5 years of staying in the US that I was suppose get the social security figured out or that there was an opportunity to get one once entering the US ha wow . Just wondering who is responsible for informong aliens about this . So unacceptable I thought the only way to get it was through green card and now I'm struggling with the evidence since I'm not able to even get a joint bank account here . Wow just wow can't believe it

Lot of you guys were helpful Thank you ! Others not so much made me think that I should have known better But like I said never did anyone mention ssn , never got welcome package from embassy , couldn't file taxes jointly and of course didn't search for a work authorization when I'm not going to work (!!!) ;D

Apparently my situation is normal after talking with different people on rapidvisa. Yes with SSN you'll have stronger evidence however it's not necessarily when you can write a letter explaining your situation . If this is normal then yes there's lack of informing people on this subject but oh well it is what it is . 

Timeline
On 1/25/2024 at 11:40 PM, SalishSea said:

I've been a stay at home mother and wife, as well as a board-certified oncology RN with 25 years of experience, so:  I can confidently say that being a non-working spouse/mom is absolutely no easier.  Nor does it have lower responsibility.  Running a household and keeping children alive and happy is harder work, with higher stakes. Don't underestimate your worth, or your obligations.

Personal choices yes we have to make them when creating our unique lives . Not sure how this answers my question 

Timeline
On 1/25/2024 at 7:47 PM, Adventine said:

Any legit job that pays enough to raise a family will ask for your SSN. And you use the SSN to properly report your income to the IRS. If neither of those things interests you, all I can say is good luck, girlll ;)

Thanks but again I'm not the one working and apparently I'll receive the ssn after aos application is sent . Too bad I wasn't able to use ssn for the evidence that's it . Would've definitely applied after entering states why not but there's not much you can do if you don't apply immediately.  

2 hours ago, Evelina said:

Thanks but again I'm not the one working and apparently I'll receive the ssn after aos application is sent . Too bad I wasn't able to use ssn for the evidence that's it . Would've definitely applied after entering states why not but there's not much you can do if you don't apply immediately.  

So you haven't applied for AOS yet? That's why then. If you've ticked the box (question 16) on your I-485 form then it'll be sent automatically.

Do get your AOS application in asap as you're out of status. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Evelina said:

Others not so much made me think that I should have known better

If that is how we are coming across, it is because you do not seem prepared or informed about the AOS process at all.  It might help you to do some reading of reliable (USCIS) sources.

Timeline
3 hours ago, SalishSea said:

If that is how we are coming across, it is because you do not seem prepared or informed about the AOS process at all.  It might help you to do some reading of reliable (USCIS) sources.

USCIS sure however nobody is telling you to get ssn when you entry the country , Within 10 days ! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Evelina said:

Lot of you guys were helpful Thank you ! Others not so much made me think that I should have known better But like I said never did anyone mention ssn , never got welcome package from embassy , couldn't file taxes jointly and of course didn't search for a work authorization when I'm not going to work (!!!) ;D

Apparently my situation is normal after talking with different people on rapidvisa. Yes with SSN you'll have stronger evidence however it's not necessarily when you can write a letter explaining your situation . If this is normal then yes there's lack of informing people on this subject but oh well it is what it is . 

That is not true at all.   You can still file joint taxes without an SSN.  You just need to file it with a request for an ITIN in lieu of a SSN  All the tax SW programs like Turbotax walk you through this.

Then you can use the ITIN number instead of the SSN to open up bank accounts.

Then whenever you get your AOS or EAD, you can get your SSN, you must use it instead of the ITIN. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, appleblossom said:

So you haven't applied for AOS yet? That's why then. If you've ticked the box (question 16) on your I-485 form then it'll be sent automatically.

Do get your AOS application in asap as you're out of status. Good luck. 

Yeah of course ,so right now there's no way to get ssn nor would I even need it since the application will be sent already, that's the whole point I would have used the ssn for bank account for evidence that's it

Timeline
2 minutes ago, W199 said:

That is not true at all.   You can still file joint taxes without an SSN.  You just need to file it with a request for an ITIN in lieu of a SSN  All the tax SW programs like Turbotax walk you through this.

Then you can use the ITIN number instead of the SSN to open up bank accounts.

Then whenever you get your AOS or EAD, you can get your SSN, you must use it instead of the ITIN. 

How do I file taxes if I don't work 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Evelina said:

USCIS sure however nobody is telling you to get ssn when you entry the country , Within 10 days ! 

There is no requirement to get it within 10 days.  You just need to get it before you get married. And then if you do not, you can get an ITIN number in the meantime to use to file taxes and open bank accounts. It just is more work to get the ITN, so getting a SSN before married is an easier path. When I did a K-1 before, I didn't bother getting a SSN for my spouse. I just got an ITIN an waited for the SSN as part of the greencard processing so that I didn't need to go to the SSN office twice.  It was no issues or problems. But now I think they make it a little more difficult to get an ITIN,, by needing to request it during taxes.

Edited by W199

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Evelina said:

How do I file taxes if I don't work 

Did you flee from your fiance or flee after getting married? Did you even get married on the K-1? Something is really suspicious here.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Evelina said:

Yeah of course ,so right now there's no way to get ssn nor would I even need it since the application will be sent already, that's the whole point I would have used the ssn for bank account for evidence that's it

You don't need that evidence for AOS, its not listed anywhere and it makes no sense.  But you do need this evidence 2 years later when applying to remove conditional status of your greencard. But that is something else.

You should go get a lawyer

Timeline
2 minutes ago, W199 said:

You don't need that evidence for AOS, its not listed anywhere and it makes no sense.  But you do need this evidence 2 years later when applying to remove conditional status of your greencard. But that is something else.

You should go get a lawyer

I seeee okay we were unable to get me a joint bank account nor add me to the house title without ssn , just some to use as evidence of the relationship 

10 minutes ago, W199 said:

Did you flee from your fiance or flee after getting married? Did you even get married on the K-1? Something is really suspicious here.

Yes I got married still hereeee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.