Nibake

Missed biometrics, let the nightmare begin

17 posts in this topic

Timeline

We waited for the 90 days prior window to open. We carefully prepared and sent the removal of conditions packet before travelling to immigrant's home country for a wedding celebration (3 years of waiting to finally hold a wedding in her country). By some twisted fate, the USCIS decided to act with lightning speed and schedule an appointment in the short term. I got back and received the mail 2 days after the appointment had passed. Since then, we have called 3 times, I have uploaded a letter as additional evidence to our case, and we have gotten absolutely nowhere, all under constant threat of our application being discarded.

The first call, we were given a reference number and told to wait for the rescheduling. It never happened. Our second call, the gal was a little more helpful. Unfortunately, a few days lot we got an email saying we could reschedule online, as if this were a solution. It' wasn't, of course, as we cannot reschedule online. We called back to try again, since the canned solution does us no good, and guess what? We can't make another request for an additional 30 days. I guess it wouldn't be a "visa journey" without some mind-numbing incompetence strewn along the way.

For those interested, this link covers important details about rescheduling, as well as good cause. If you want to go a step further, you can even find a pdf of the policy manual explaining what is considered good cause:

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/news-releases/uscis-launches-online-rescheduling-of-biometrics-appointments

At this point we are wondering if we can just get to the time where we can apply for citizenship since that is easier than trying to re-schedule biometrics.

I agree with the above. Go to wherever your biometrics were scheduled with your letter and whatever IDs you need to get into the building asap.

Explain the situation calmly and if necessary plead a bit so they will let you do a walk-in after the fact. It wouldn't even surprise me if they will have seen this same exact situation before either. Hopefully you'll deal with someone with a good amount of empathy and that's sorted. If not, you can at least say you tried and keep badgering USCIS for a rescheduled appt.

asdf

22 hours ago, Nibake said:

We waited for the 90 days prior window to open. We carefully prepared and sent the removal of conditions packet before travelling to immigrant's home country for a wedding celebration (3 years of waiting to finally hold a wedding in her country). By some twisted fate, the USCIS decided to act with lightning speed and schedule an appointment in the short term. I got back and received the mail 2 days after the appointment had passed. Since then, we have called 3 times, I have uploaded a letter as additional evidence to our case, and we have gotten absolutely nowhere, all under constant threat of our application being discarded.

You mentioned uploading additional evidence so I assume you have access to the case on myUSCIS. Hopefully in the future you can check that more frequently since, for us at least, any notice from USCIS has appeared online there at least 1-2 weeks before any paper notices came in the mail.

Every location is different but here the staff at the local Application Support Center was friendly and seemed to not be very busy during my wife’s biometrics appointment, so I would echo the recommendation of showing up and trying to talk to someone there.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Just take your letter of the appointment and go there and get it done.  I highly doubt they will give you any hassle.  I learned that here, even when you have the appointment, you can walk in much earlier and they let you in and do it.  Takes a whole of 10 minutes.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A noncontributory post has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

A lot of posts saying go try, which is fine. But it's ironic that multiple other posts on this forum on this subject say "don't go in" and "you won't get in for an appointment." But yeah, it's easy to say so on the internet since it costs the commenter nothing if we aren't able to get in.

5 minutes ago, Nibake said:

A lot of posts saying go try, which is fine. But it's ironic that multiple other posts on this forum on this subject say "don't go in" and "you won't get in for an appointment." But yeah, it's easy to say so on the internet since it costs the commenter nothing if we aren't able to get in.

It's up to you which advice you take.

You may try, or you may simply give up and let the case slide into denial.

It's your case on the line, you may as well pick your priorities.

Edited by OldUser

7 minutes ago, Nibake said:

Did you read my initial post? I'm only following the instructions provided in the letter and online by calling the number provided looking for help. 

Yes, I read it. The truth is this number rarely helps, and this is the conclusion many on VJ came to after going through this personally or reading many similar threads.

Timeline

You have "I-751 nightmare" as part of your signature, but somehow my attitude here is bad? Not sure how you determined that. 

image.thumb.png.a4bd24fc0e5dfcb1bf15c890bab90e78.png

image.thumb.png.1acf8cbf877805aa497ff9d162cd08a0.png

image.thumb.png.2c257009c3b8e9780fa42345e2ebb2ce.png

Also, advice on this forum which jives with the official instructions, yes, I came on here and read the top posts immediately when the problem arose:

image.thumb.png.6d87d1a61f4d5dcd9b02881c0fd5361f.png

I guess my attitude problem is posting factual information?

17 hours ago, Nibake said:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.