taximan683

Planning to Retire to the Philippines with K-1 Wife and Child (Waiting I-751 approval currently)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

OK, so we want to retire to the Philippines in about 2 1/2 years. We have filed I-751 and my wife's provisional green card was created June 2021, so I believe she can apply for citizenship 90 days before the same date in June 2024. I'm thinking that we should make her and her child (my stepchild who I plan to adopt) dual-citizens before we retire to the Philippines because we will want to visit the USA whenever we like. If my wife and step-daughter only have green cards, then we will have to return to the USA every year and renew their green cards in 10 years (after they receive their 10-year green cards). Has anyone here dealt with the same situation? My plan is to have her apply for citizenship when eligible which would confer citizenship on the child as well, then apply for dual citizenship at the Philippines consulate in the USA. I also plan to adopt my step-daughter because she would be eligible for Social Security benefits until she reaches 18. I will be applying for Social Security in the next few years. Does anyone here have experience with this kind of situation? Is there anything I am forgetting, or any flaws in my plan? Is it very important for her to become a citizen, or is it possible to deal with the challenges of the green card? (wife is worried about the citizenship test). 

A couple of more factors for your decision making.

Your wife can collect Social Security on your account when she is at retirement age.  As a resident alien, she must live in the U.S. for 5 years to qualify.  When she gets citizenship that requirement goes away.

Your step daughter, assuming you adopt her and she gets her citizenship, must live in the U.S. for 5 years in order to pass her U.S. Citizenship to her children.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Timeline

Thank you for the responses. One more question. Should I apply to adopt my stepdaughter now or just let her become a citizen with her mother? I believe she will become a citizen when I adopt her. Is that true?

1 hour ago, taximan683 said:

Thank you for the responses. One more question. Should I apply to adopt my stepdaughter now or just let her become a citizen with her mother? I believe she will become a citizen when I adopt her. Is that true?

How old is ur step daughter now. If she’s young enough and not turned to 18 when the mother become citizen, she can file n-600. U don’t need to adopt her. 

please correct me if im wrong 

Edited by Verrou

Timeline
2 hours ago, taximan683 said:

24 minutes ago, Verrou said:

How old is ur step daughter now. If she’s young enough and not turned to 18 when the mother become citizen, she can file n-600. U don’t need to adopt her. 

please correct me if im wrong 

Timeline

Thank you for your answer. I'm going to adopt her one way or another. I'm just wondering if I should wait until she's a citizen or do it before she's a citizen. I'm just wondering if that makes any difference? Just from the perspective of how much complication there is. Maybe it doesn't matter at all and maybe I should talk to a lawyer.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:47 AM, taximan683 said:

Thank you for your answer. I'm going to adopt her one way or another. I'm just wondering if I should wait until she's a citizen or do it before she's a citizen. I'm just wondering if that makes any difference? Just from the perspective of how much complication there is. Maybe it doesn't matter at all and maybe I should talk to a lawyer.

My opinion is that you should get the adoption process started right away if you will adopt no matter what.  It may take a while.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

On 8/21/2023 at 6:32 PM, taximan683 said:

I need to adopt her anyway. I'm just not sure if I should do it now or wait. Maybe it doesn't make a difference.

Do you want it to be a US adoption or adoption based out of Philippines?

If US, start the process now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 8/20/2023 at 8:40 PM, taximan683 said:

after they receive their 10-year green cards

Adopt her. Once the adoption is complete she is a U.S. citizen and she bypasses I-751.

Timeline

What about becoming dual citizen? Her Mom will file for dual citizenship when she becomes US citizen. I guess my stepdaughter can still be dual citizen due to her Filipino birth. I am only concerned with adoption in the US so she will be eligible for Social Security benefits under my name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.