ShandoMoncelle

How long should I expect getting through customs to take on K1?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My K1 visa got issued last week and my fiancé and I are trying to plan the flights for when I get the visa. I'm a little bit unsure on what to plan for in terms of layovers at the US port of entry because I keep getting conflicting info regarding how long it takes going through customs on a K1 visa. Some say it can take a couple of hours and some say it doesn't take much longer than flying in on an ESTA or regular tourist visa?

Anyone got experience with this and what should I expect?

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, ShandoMoncelle said:

Hi everyone,

My K1 visa got issued last week and my fiancé and I are trying to plan the flights for when I get the visa. I'm a little bit unsure on what to plan for in terms of layovers at the US port of entry because I keep getting conflicting info regarding how long it takes going through customs on a K1 visa. Some say it can take a couple of hours and some say it doesn't take much longer than flying in on an ESTA or regular tourist visa?

Thank you!

Do you know or have an idea what POE (port/point of entry) you are considering?

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
Just now, Fe.Ta said:

Do you know or have an idea what POE (port/point of entry) you are considering?

At this point not really. Most flights from Denmark go through JFK, Newark, Minneapolis or Atlanta. I've had super bad experiences with JFK before so would like to avoid that if possible

1 minute ago, ShandoMoncelle said:

At this point not really. Most flights from Denmark go through JFK, Newark, Minneapolis or Atlanta. I've had super bad experiences with JFK before so would like to avoid that if possible

ATL (Atlanta) is also pretty bad with just being busy and not efficient overall - even when you are flying within USA.

For all airports, it definitely depends on the day, the time, and whatever the officers decide to do.

I would say err on the side of caution and give yourself plenty of time by assuming it will take the "worst case scenario" time in immigration and consider overall security delays and weather.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, ShandoMoncelle said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

I would plan on 3 to 4 hours to be safe. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Denver 15 minutes, I think I was the only one from my plane sent to secondary 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, ShandoMoncelle said:

3 hours for U.S. at SFO in 2018. Non citizen lines are the worst. No secondary at least. That would have added 3 more hours.

Sorry if this is hijacking of the thread - are these timelines given considering the amount of time waiting in line? Or the possibility of getting held up speaking to a border patrol agent? I will be moving over soon with a CR1 visa and I am aiming to book flights sooner rather than later. I usually fly through Dublin when I visit using my ESTA and I was planning on giving the same amount of time as usual (2 hours to allow for delays/lines). Is there a chance there will be other hold ups regarding the border/the visa?

8 hours ago, Micam said:

are these timelines given considering the amount of time waiting in line? Or the possibility of getting held up speaking to a border patrol agent?

Includes time waiting in line and possibly at secondary inspection.  The actual POE admission procedure for a CR1 (or K1) visa holder when it's their turn with the CBP officer, doesn't take long -- typically around 15 minutes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Typical advice here is to allow 3 hours minimum, 4 optimal.  If your departing flight is unduly delayed and you arranged for only a short connection layover, you'd spend your entire first flight worrying.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

15 hours ago, Chancy said:

Includes time waiting in line and possibly at secondary inspection.  The actual POE admission procedure for a CR1 (or K1) visa holder when it's their turn with the CBP officer, doesn't take long -- typically around 15 minutes.

Ah gotcha, thanks for confirming how long the process takes! 

10 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Typical advice here is to allow 3 hours minimum, 4 optimal.  If your departing flight is unduly delayed and you arranged for only a short connection layover, you'd spend your entire first flight worrying.

I never knew this! Definitely had once or twice where I have felt the time pinch.. thanks for the info! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Not K1, but I've experienced being sent to secondary inspections several times. The latest was in SFO when I first came in on an H1B visa - I got delayed by probably around 2-3 hours, and most of it was just waiting for the secondary interviews. Once I got called up it took only another 10 mins or so.

The wait was not fun though, I spent some time holding my pee then decided I would risk a quick bathroom break.

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Given the unpredictability of processing times, I'd suggest that if it's at all practical to either depart from a pre-clearance airport (only ones in the Eurozone are in Ireland) or have your POE be your final destination in the US, I'd probably try and do that.

Though that depends a lot on where you're coming from and going to.

In our case, back before Covid and Vlad's invasion of Ukraine, Moscow to LA was a daily flight so even though that was a two-hour or more drive to my place instead of the 30 minutes to San Diego airport, it was a lot simpler to do that. And given that Anastasia didn't get to me until about two hours after her plane landed (and there was no free WiFi in the line she was in), I'm very glad she didn't have to navigate a connection.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.