yotajeeper

Tourist visa cancelled by CBP agent. Can we still get a CR1 or K1 Visa?

61 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

What kind of consummation proof?

can be but not limited to: 

- photos (wedding, honeymoon, with family/relatives, friends, etc.)

- hotel reservations/receipts/bills or rental apartment address with monthly bills/receipts

- copy of airplane tickets or reservations 

- bank joint accounts or receipt of remittances

- insurances which one or the other is beneficiary

- letters/affidavits from friends, neighbors, landlords or family members attesting the fact of relationship (signed, but need not to be notarized)

- personal affidavits or love letters of the couple i.e. birthday cards, valentines, anniversary

I provided all those and many others. I even orderd a photo book and brought it during my visa interview in the Philippines. Questions asked by the consul (pinpointed a photo and asked the details of that photo): date, where it was taken, name of the hotel and what was the event. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Mike E said:

What kind of consummation proof?

OF?

1 hour ago, Maria O said:

proof that the marriage has been consummated after you got married online or if marrage is bonafide and was entered in good faith. 

Why would you wait to send that in?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
15 hours ago, Mike E said:

How do these  show consummation?

I think you're well aware that as far as USCIS and the state department are concerned, showing you were in the same place at the same time while married is sufficient and they don't need or want any more details than that :D.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

I think you're well aware that as far as USCIS and the state department are concerned, showing you were in the same place at the same time while married is sufficient and they don't need or want any more details than that :D.

I am. Hence the question.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

iv read most of the replies here an aside from all the USCIS legal stuff which is spot on here i have to say the C1 is the route to go..

One thing i read in your front post was that you wonted to get your life going with your diance.  i think getting married is the best step to kick starting that adventure.. 

Im currently a K1 waiting for my NOA2 an i filed in May of 2022. i believe the wait for the 2 forms at present are about the same. My fiance an i wonted to get married in the US an at the time that was a good idea. Now after 14 months of waiting im regretting not getting married an filing a C1 we could have started our future together an yes it would have started in another country but would have ended up in the US. Now we feel like were stuck in the mud with no control of our future waiting on USCIS to do something in a logical manner.. theirs a numerical sequence for a reason but to no avail their running amuck in their approval sequence.. 

Then after we so get to the US because we are K1 visa filers we'll finally get married an we hav to deal with all the other stuff not on our time but USCIS's time frame... so we'll be waiting. Again...

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

My Husband came from Uruguay with a K-1 Visa. I needed to say; we got lucky. I've seen so many option that has been said so many times that CR-1 is always better since years ago. Even Today, it is still much better because now the processing time in the later process of K-1 Visa to Naturalization is much much longer and it'll keep adding up.

In my signature you'll see when we started, what all we went through, where we're at now. It's a long process of the journey. I'm only saying we got lucky because I'm able to manage finances and things while waiting for him to get the EAD/AP, AOS ing and so much going on after that.

In any other regard, we took the long road and we're facing some other unusual thing to process and fix thing when you have CR-1 that just take care of many more. But hey it's cool we're learning and taking the process timely down the road as we can but not to be late.

TLDR; We're K1 adjuster, but we do see it is better for CR-1. This is the recent K1 due to ongoing process!

Edited by WaterLeaf

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 3:17 PM, JeanneAdil said:

Vote for CR1 as in the long run,  its cheaper

easier to get the SS # ,  DL,  add to health care insurance and work

(even if she doesn't want to work)

BTW if K1 and marriage in  US ,  the cost of AOS after marriage  for the green card is expected to go in 2023 from $1225 to $2820

and these days the K1 and CR1 are taking about the same time (18 months to 2 years)

You mentioned that the AOS is expected to to go up from $1225 to $2820, where did you see that?  In this chart it says it might go up to $1540

USCIS-Fee-Increase-AOS-2023.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
8 minutes ago, stephanyv said:

You mentioned that the AOS is expected to to go up from $1225 to $2820, where did you see that?  In this chart it says it might go up to $1540

Look down the chart

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, stephanyv said:

Today I-765 and I-131 are free with I-485. They will not be in the future.

It is bad enough for K-1s who wait months to years for an EAD or AP. Imagine K-1 couples who:

* balk at the extra $1280, and suffer with estrangement from family  and loss of income, or

* pay the fee and never get an EAD or AP.

It is legalized gambling 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 12:51 PM, Lover_Boy said:

CR1 is not a wise choice for the Philippines, I would 100% disagree with you

Either way he would have to take a trip to Philippine, and if he did traditional marriage it could be a long stay

Utah Marriage has many loopholes as well, like having the marriage not recognized in the Philippines, or if he wants to apply for a residence in Philippines in the future the Online marriage may not work.

Best to do K1 and he can just chill out at home and wait for the process to take place. 

On 6/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, Lover_Boy said:

Philippines has way too many 'rules' about marriage

As you will see most if not all giving opinions not nothing about them, I spent 3 years in Philippines

I would never do a "utah online marriage" throw that thought out the door

If you have time to burn then look at the CR1, if you don't want to travel to Philippines do the K1

They both have there advantages and disadvantages, you find the one that works best for you.

Although not my original intent, I was married online through Utah.  What I mean by "not my original intent", is that our intent was to get married in the Philippines.   I have been retaining a residence there since 2011, and got my SRRV(a permanent Philippine residence visa) in 2017.    In 2019, I moved to the UAE for work, while still maintaining my household in the Philippines.   My girlfriend and I were going to get married, but COVID happened.   The Philippines was locked down.   Foreseeing them dropping the lock-down some time soon, in February 2021, I went online, and I got a CENOMAR from the PSA, because the barangay I was going to get married, required both the Philippine citizen and the foreigner to have a CENOMAR.    Amazingly, the PSA was very efficient and delivered my CENOMAR via FedEx directly to my front door here in Abu Dhabi, relatively quickly.  However, not so quick that I would have been able to get it done while on a short vacation.(that is important for what happens later).    

Alright.  Now I am ready to fly to the Philippines and get married as soon as they end the lock-down.    They ended the lock-down for those of us with permanent residence visas a little while after I got my CENOMAR.   However......   The Philippines had a red list of countries that still couldn't enter the Philippines.   The UAE was on that list.   So I couldn't go to the Philippines to get married.   The CENOMAR is only valid for 6 months.   By the time they took the UAE off the list, and I could travel, those six months had passed.   Since I probably wouldn't have time to get a CENOMAR, an Affidavit in lieu of Legal Capacity to marry, and the other requirements, we needed another option.  So I looked into the simplest way to get married.    I looked at getting married in Abu Dhabi, but this was before they changed the law, so it wasn't possible then.  I looked into flying to Seychelles, because an American co-worker flew there and got married.   That sounded nice, but a little pricey, and I wanted something quicker and easier.    Then I discovered the marriage online through Utah County.   I flew my wife to the UAE, and on October 21, 2021 we got married online while we were both in our living room here in the UAE.     No muss, no fuss. 

I can't speak to any difficulty in obtaining residence in the Philippines, because as I mentioned previously, I already had a permanent residence visa years before I was married.   However, there is a reciprocity agreement between the Philippines and the USA regarding recognition of marriages.  Now, I have heard a rumor about the Philippines talking about not recognizing marriages if both parties were not present at the wedding.   However, even though my marriage was online, we were both physically present in the same location when we got married.   Only the justice of the peace was in a different location.  

Now, I did have an issue with BPI wanting our marriage to be registered with the PSA, before they would approve our mortgage loan.   Since we never bothered to register it with the PSA, we were SOL with BPI.   So we went with BDO instead.   They had no problem accepting our Utah marriage license to make me the co-borrower for the mortgage.    In any case, the issue with BPI wasn't that it was an online marriage, but that it wasn't registered with the PSA yet.  

In summary, a Utah marriage worked out fine for me.    It wouldn't be my first choice, if I could have traveled to the Philippines at the time.  

My suggestion, would be for the OP to either get married in the Philippines and get a spousal visa, or go for the K1 fiancé visa.     If marrying in the Philippines, they should get all their requirements done ahead of time, and then fly to the Philippines and get married.  You can find those requirements through a quick Google search.   https://www.nuptials.ph/marriage-requirements-for-foreigners-philippines/  Even if most of the requirements are done ahead of time, I would suggest having at least 3 or 4 weeks available to be in the Philippines.  

Edited by sgtm7

• 2 months later...
On 6/16/2023 at 10:04 PM, SalishSea said:

It will take two years with either visa option.  US immigration is not fast, or cheap.

On the plus side, if they went the CR1 route and entered after 2 years, they would be issued a 10 year green card and avoid the ROC. 

Edited by HarryWL

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
On 7/12/2023 at 11:45 AM, Roy an Panitta said:

iv read most of the replies here an aside from all the USCIS legal stuff which is spot on here i have to say the C1 is the route to go..

One thing i read in your front post was that you wonted to get your life going with your diance.  i think getting married is the best step to kick starting that adventure.. 

Im currently a K1 waiting for my NOA2 an i filed in May of 2022. i believe the wait for the 2 forms at present are about the same. My fiance an i wonted to get married in the US an at the time that was a good idea. Now after 14 months of waiting im regretting not getting married an filing a C1 we could have started our future together an yes it would have started in another country but would have ended up in the US. Now we feel like were stuck in the mud with no control of our future waiting on USCIS to do something in a logical manner.. theirs a numerical sequence for a reason but to no avail their running amuck in their approval sequence.. 

Then after we so get to the US because we are K1 visa filers we'll finally get married an we hav to deal with all the other stuff not on our time but USCIS's time frame... so we'll be waiting. Again...

CR1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 hours ago, Cathi said:
On 7/12/2023 at 11:45 AM, Roy an Panitta said:

CR1

nice to see my original quote still floating around. hope it helps someone

just an update on my status. we are now schedualed for our K1 interview in BKK on Jan 5 2024. so i posted this in July of 23 when USCIS  was working our month.. took 496 days to get our NOA2 approval..  i still believe that if i were to do it all over again knowing what i do now id do the CR1 ticket.. when i get my fiancean the K2's here to the US i have to file for change of status an then file for her to be able to work an then an then more things.. costs an time differance after the approval favors the CR1..  in my opinion. 

When we went the K1 an K2 direction i thought it was best for the kids an im not sure how the USCIS  factures them into the equation for the K1 vs the CR1.. so we went the safe route. 

Good luck on your visa adventure.. this site is a gold mine of information..

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, African Zealot said:

Your fiancée made two visits of 5.5 months within a year and had information about working on her phone but the phone belonged to her auntie? That’s a very interesting coincidence and no immigration officer is going to buy that story going forward.

Luckily the denied entry and withdrawal of visitors visa shouldn’t affect the immigrant visa petition.

Nothing fishy at all….🙄

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.